1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Swype/Swift Key application and Google’s default keyboard app - any different?

Hi: what is the difference between Swype/Swift Key application and Google’s default keyboard app? With nexus 7, I am able to do pretty much same I have seen some of my friends do with Swype/Swift Key. Is there any advantage of going with one of this app over default app?

Default Re: Swype/Swift Key application and Google’s default keyboard app - any different?

Swype had the swiping function first, so it used to have a huge advantage in that sense. Now the differences are more in things like predictive text, which can be pretty handy, but isn't a massive difference.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by:
    heeemz 

Default Re: Swype/Swift Key application and Google’s default keyboard app - any different?

You can customize the theme of the keyboard with swift, there aren't any other significant differences about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Android_1234 View Post
    You can customize the theme of the keyboard with swift, there aren't any other significant differences about them.
    SwiftKey is starting to venture in to cloud saving your predictions as well as trending words. Also there is option to resize the keyboard, have a floating keyboard, or change the layout. This is all available in the current beta witch may be released soon. I am so happy with SwiftKey over stock and Swype.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by heeemz View Post
    Is there any advantage of going with one of this app over default app?
    Swype and SwiftKey are both smart keyboards. They base their predictions on sentence/word patterns you've used before in order to provide better predictions. I don't think the stock keyboard is smart; I think it just offers gesture-based typing.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonEnr7 View Post
    SwiftKey is starting to venture in to cloud saving your predictions as well as trending words. Also there is option to resize the keyboard, have a floating keyboard, or change the layout. This is all available in the current beta witch may be released soon. I am so happy with SwiftKey over stock and Swype.

Posted via Android Central App
    I didn't know that, Floating keyboard sounds pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Android_1234 View Post
    I didn't know that, Floating keyboard sounds pretty cool.
    It definitely makes things a littler easier. I can now type with one finger (using flow and floating keyboard). Sometimes I use a stylus and the floating keyboard makes things so much easier.

I found the prediction on the default keyboard when swiping is pretty much garbage; I am constantly having to replace my words. Swype is a little better about it, but I have found Swiftkey to be my preferred keyboard. In addition to it having better prediction, there is a also a thumb key layout that is automatic when changing orientation. In Swype, there is thumbkey, but I only want it in landscape, and when I turned it on in one, it kept it on in both. With swiftkey, the preferences are independent between the orientations.

SwiftKey really needs an incognito mode

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Swiftkey has great a great prediction engine that learns your typing style. Sometimes it pretty scary how accurate it can be when sending texts, emails, etc..
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Any idea how can we make Google keyboard app to recognize regional names and slangs?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

When you type a word it doesn't recognize, it will try to auto correct it for you. Instead of hitting the space bar for auto correction, tab what you typed in the suggestion bar. You will then see it change to "tap again to save". If you tap it again, it will add it to your dictionary and it will be used when typing or gesture typing.