1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is A Special App. Or Setting Needed to use a Slimport HDMI Connector?

Hi Folks, I've bought a Slimport HDMI Connector to use with my nexus & TV. However, when I plug it in it doesn't work (actually I'm on the 2nd. one, exchanged the 1st in case it was faulty, but clearly not) Do I need an app to make it work, or to change something in settings? Perhaps there's something I must do with the TV? I've tried every which way, but to no avail. Can anyone help please? Oh, my tv is an LG32LD450.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Default Re: Is A Special App. Or Setting Needed to use a Slimport HDMI Connector?

You have to change the input on the TV to the hdmi port you are using, other than that it should work.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Is A Special App. Or Setting Needed to use a Slimport HDMI Connector?

Are you sure you have the correct cable? You don't need an app. Here is an example of a correct cable:
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

This is the one I have - it's advertised as the right thing. It has a charging port on the side. When I plug it in it shows the Nexus as charging. Perhaps it's the tv. Thanks anyway.

Is A Special App. Or Setting Needed to use a Slimport HDMI Connector?-1383148442284.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

One last thing if I may - Does it have to be a 'smart' TV? LG tell me it has to be, with the necessary drivers installed.

I have that exact cable that I ordered from China but it doesn't work properly.

Using a Google Nexus 7 (2013) and a Panasonic TH-50PX75U TV the cable works for 2 minutes
    then the picture rolls vertically and blanks out.

Using the same tablet and a different HDMI cable I connected an NEC Multisync EA243WM.
    After working for 2 minutes the display blanks out then shows the message:
    "Out of Range"

The supplier has agreed to send me a new cable but I'm bot getting my hopes up.

I have since ordered a slimport from a different manufacturer and supplier.

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

No, it doesn't have to be a Smart TV. Just make sure the hdmi port you are using works, make sure you have the input on the TV switched to that port #. If it doesn't work once you confirm these 2 things then the slimport adapter is bad.

I bought a Slimport adapter off of ebay and I thought it didnt work after I tried 5 HDMI cables laying around the house. I contacted the seller and he recommended this cable and it works perfect.

I too have just bought the same slimport adapter and I have tested it on 3 different displays with 2 different hdmi cables but it doesn't seem to work..

Please if you find a solution to it do let me know..

In this video my generic Slimport works on the TV to the left, but not the larger Vizio on the right:

Video shows expanded graphics capability of Nexus 7 2013 with both Chromecast and Slimport. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by roguetrader View Post
    This is the one I have - it's advertised as the right thing. It has a charging port on the side. When I plug it in it shows the Nexus as charging. Perhaps it's the tv. Thanks anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1383148442284.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	89438

I have the same one and it only works somewhat reliably if the nexus charger is plugged into it.

I think I'm going to return it.

Interesting. The only time I had trouble with mine was right after the 4.4 update. I did a reboot then, and it's been fine since then. Three different TVs and cables.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

I have a he generic adapter and use it in hotels. Often the hotel won't allow access to the hdmi inputs. I also found that the tablet has difficulty connecting when the adapter has the power connected. So on both mine and my sister I hook up the cabling without power and after it fires up will then hook up the power and it continues to work perfect. Hopefully you get this square away, it is a real nice option.

Quote Originally Posted by roguetrader View Post
    Hi Folks, I've bought a Slimport HDMI Connector to use with my nexus & TV. However, when I plug it in it doesn't work (actually I'm on the 2nd. one, exchanged the 1st in case it was faulty, but clearly not) Do I need an app to make it work, or to change something in settings? Perhaps there's something I must do with the TV? I've tried every which way, but to no avail. Can anyone help please? Oh, my tv is an LG32LD450.

Did you ever get it to work?

I have the exact Slimport connector and have tested on three TVs on being on LG32 but no picture or sound.

The HDMI cable I have is a 1.1. Does it need to be 1.4? Don't really want to waste money unless I know the fix. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Platt1 View Post
    Did you ever get it to work?

I have the exact Slimport connector and have tested on three TVs on being on LG32 but no picture or sound.

The HDMI cable I have is a 1.1. Does it need to be 1.4? Don't really want to waste money unless I know the fix. Thanks
    I am having the same issue, I ordered: Amazon.com: VicTsing Slimport MyDP Micro USB to HDMI HDTV Adapter For Google Nexus 4 7 II 2nd LG optimus G pro Fujitsu Arrows Tab ASUS Padfone infinity: Electronics and Amazon.com: DVI Gear HDMI Cable 2M 6 feet: Electronics. When I connect them to the HDMI port on my 20" monitor, it doesn't seem to work.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

I use SlimPort 's own connector and it works fine. The N7 2013 takes a few seconds to recognise it. Does anyone know a way to blank the N7 screen then?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jrisch View Post
    I use SlimPort 's own connector and it works fine. The N7 2013 takes a few seconds to recognise it. Does anyone know a way to blank the N7 screen then?

Sorry no idea, what do you mean by blank it? Try pressing power to lock the screen.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

With Galaxy Note 3 I can have the video just showing on the monitor with the phone's screen blank. It can't be locked or the screen's digitizer wouldn't work.