Nexus 7 (2013) Dead Pixel - Send it back?

Jowiso

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
So, I just got a brand spanking new Nexus 7 and noticed a dead pixel in the top middle/right side of the screen. It's really only visible on light backgrounds (things like Pandora, Play Store, light webpages, etc.) - and I can't decide if this is something worth sending the tablet back for. I purchased it from a company's eBay store, so I'd rather not deal with shipping back to them. I also doubt they'd even accept it - they'll probably send me to Asus.

Having said that, there's a few options, I think:

1. Send the tablet back to Asus for repair. This will take a couple weeks and I have no idea the type of quality control they're going to have. Is my tablet going to be returned with a display that has more dead pixels or light bleed, etc.? Is the back going to get all scratched up? How do I know that this repair will leave me with a perfect display?

2. Live with it. It's not terrible - but as mentioned, definitely noticeable on light backgrounds. I think my OCD might constantly bring my eyes to it, but I might learn to live with it.

3. Go to a local store, buy another Nexus 7, then return the defective one to the store. Obviously I'd tell them it's defective so that someone else wouldn't end up with it. Not sure if this would even work, also not sure if this is even legal.

So what are your thoughts? Is one dead pixel not that bad? Should I give it a few days and see if I can learn to live with it before making my decision? Asus has already issued an RMA to send it back, so it's under warranty for the next 12 months.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The last option is fraud so not a good idea. I would see if you send it back to the seller. If that did not work I would send it to Asus.

Posted via Android Central App

Jowiso

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
The last option is fraud so not a good idea. I would see if you send it back to the seller. If that did not work I would send it to Asus.

Okay - thank you. Definitely wasn't sure if option 3 was legal or not. It was a last resort anyway.

Could anyone comment on the quality control of the Asus service? They said they're going to replace the display on it. But how can I be sure that the new display will have no dead pixels, no dust under it, no major light bleed, etc.

I think I'm most worried about getting the tablet back in worse shape than I sent it in.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I would at least give the Ebay seller the opportunity to make it right. If not, then I would probably go with #2 unless it really bugged me, then I would go with #1.

As far as #3, unless I felt comfortable walking in with the bad unit and overtly asking to trade trade for a unit they didn't sell, I wouldn't try to sneak in a trade by disguising it as a purchase and return. Plus, I think at least some vendors track serial numbers anyway.

I did see a guy once actually go into a store and trade a warm can of beer for a cold one... and even though the proprietor went along, you could tell that it confused him. It bugged me a little to just be an observer on that one, so no, I definitely wouldn't do #3. :)

Jowiso

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
You might not get help from either the seller or Asus. Dead pixels are not an uncommon manufacturing defect. As such, different manufacturers have different policies as to what is acceptable. Asus' policy can be found here: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Warranty Policy VE247H

Asus already issued an RMA for it, so I'm likely moving forward with that. They said they'd replace the display for a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. My only concern is about the quality control coming from their repairs, as I mentioned above. My tablet is in perfect condition - not a scratch or a scuff on the entire thing. I don't want to coming back to me being all scuffed up.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Dead pixels drive me crazy, personally. If Asus already issued an RMA for it what I would do is send it back to them.

I did not have any bad pixels on mine (the first thing I did was a pixel check). I haven't heard reports of this in general. So I would give Asus a chance to replace it for you.

doug

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Asus already issued an RMA for it, so I'm likely moving forward with that. They said they'd replace the display for a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. My only concern is about the quality control coming from their repairs, as I mentioned above. My tablet is in perfect condition - not a scratch or a scuff on the entire thing. I don't want to coming back to me being all scuffed up.

They should fix/replace it with a perfect condition unit. If they don't, give them crap about it. I haven't heard of anyone complaining that they got a return from RMA with problems, so I would expect it'll probably be fine.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
My N7 2013 came with two splotches of I dont know if they were dead pixels or just stuck. But I could only see them against an all black background. I used an app called dead pixel detect and fix. Basically it flashes the screen with primary colors including the dead pixel spots for up to 30 minutes and longer if you like. Its almost made them almost disappear for me. I say almost because they're just not noticeable anymore, i'm still going to run it a few more times to see if they'll disappear completely.

Jowiso

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
My N7 2013 came with two splotches of I dont know if they were dead pixels or just stuck. But I could only see them against an all black background. I used an app called dead pixel detect and fix. Basically it flashes the screen with primary colors including the dead pixel spots for up to 30 minutes and longer if you like. Its almost made them almost disappear for me. I say almost because they're just not noticeable anymore, i'm still going to run it a few more times to see if they'll disappear completely.

Yeah, I've tried this briefly (only for a couple of minutes), but I'm thinking I have dead pixels and not just stuck pixels. I'm not sure how it would work on dead pixels. If it doesn't work tonight (I'll try running it for a while), then I'll send it back to Asus.

Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll fix the issue!

mikwott

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
i got a nexus 2013 32gb wi fi from Goodguys in Australia. It had a dead pixel in middle of screen, took it back and exchanged it. 2nd one had dead pixel top part of screen. Took it back and 3rd one was good for 3 days and then i noticed 2 dead pixels. Returned it got full refund, wont try again.

muddy211

Banned
Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, What kind of money did you save buying from Ebay vs a National chain where it could have easily been returned and exchanged without any problems?

Lautenslayer

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Sent my Nexus 7 2 for Repair after 3 months for an Entire Line of dead pixels and a loose corner. Got an E-mail today saying that there was physical damage and are basically billing me $170 for a screen replacement.

This is the biggest loads of BullS*** I have ever seen.
There is absolutely no way on earth I ever damaged it, 99% of the time my Nexus 7 was sitting on my desk in an Neoprene cover. I might have taken it out of my apartment half a dozen times and once on a trip (when I noticed the dead pixels). Essentially far below normal operating use. If there was physical damage its because there was a defect with the system that protects the screen.

Somewhere an ASUS representative is about to get a sore eardrum.

Jowiso

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, What kind of money did you save buying from Ebay vs a National chain where it could have easily been returned and exchanged without any problems?

Got lucky on eBay and snagged it for $195 - no tax, free shipping. Buying for retail + tax in my state would bring the total to $245.51 - brings my savings to a little more than $50. Definitely worth it to me.

Just to update those of you who are interested - I sent my device back to Asus. They replaced the screen and sent it back - it's in perfect condition with no issues that I've noticed.

The entire process of shipping, repair, and return shipping took about 2 weeks.

j0hnnyyyy

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
i have the same issue just bought a new nexus 7 2013 and have a dead pixel centre-right of the screen but it is only one. it looks grey and on any white page its a little grey dot. how big was the pixel that was out on your nexus cause I have never seen a dead pixel, but I'm pretty sure the one on my tablet is a dead pixel. Asus sent me rma and I sent it out today hopefully they send it back in good condition because I barely bought it two weeks ago and have had a screen protector and case since day 1. Im really worried like you posted before in the condition they are going to send it back to me. I never have good luck with warranty issues with electronic companies and hopefully I'm crossing my finger that they'll fix it and send it back in perfect condition

j0hnnyyyy

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
well i don't know I'm pretty new to the android world had a note but only couple months and that was long time ago. always been an apple guy and this is my first android tablet that i actually enjoyed very much for about two weeks and noticed a little black dot. I thought it was a spec of dust or dirt but when i removed the screen protector it was clearly a dead pixel. the made date was 08/2013 does that make a difference ?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I had a dead pixel on a samsung tab 3 that I got from amazon. It was a white dot that was only visible on light backgrounds also for some reason.I exchanged it and got another that was fine. This happaned back in august and now just a couple of weeks ago I noticed I got the same thing on this one now. I guess now ill just live with it. I am suprised asus allowed an rma for one dead pixel. I always read that most companies will only warranty a screen with several or so dead pixels.

j0hnnyyyy

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
i called multiple times and told them its one dead pixel and they setup and rma the first time i told them. hopefully they fix it cause if not they charged me to ship it there for no reason and just a waste of ten dollars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital