Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
Like Tree3Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    I've used the new hangouts app for a day now and I'm not liking it so much as an SMS app. MMS doesn't always show a picture, it just comes up as a blank message, it's kind of clunky and slow, and you can't reply from the notification. There's nothing better about it than the stock messaging app.
    If you're talking about the version that was released with the Nexus 5 and extracted from that phone's OS, then remember that it wasn't actually intended for our devices. All apps aren't necessarily equal. I would reserve judgment until the actual update is rolled out to your device.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    If you're talking about the version that was released with the Nexus 5 and extracted from that phone's OS, then remember that it wasn't actually intended for our devices. All apps aren't necessarily equal. I would reserve judgment until the actual update is rolled out to your device.
    Yeah that's the one. You think some things will change with the official one in the play store?

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    You think some things will change with the official one in the play store?
    Well, if you wait for the update to reach you, it'll actually be the one intended for your device. The ones not intended for our devices are often coded slightly differently. The editors here at Android Central have even mentioned in the past that we should wait for the app updates for our own devices rather than install the ones floating around on the web because the possible api differences, etc.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    Yeah that's the one. You think some things will change with the official one in the play store?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Things will need to be updated for sure. Try doing a video call with the apk from the nexus 5 on another device.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Well, if you wait for the update to reach you, it'll actually be the one intended for your device. The ones not intended for our devices are often coded slightly differently. The editors here at Android Central have even mentioned in the past that we should wait for the app updates for our own devices rather than install the ones floating around on the web because the possible api differences, etc.
    That makes sense. But, wouldn't this be the exact app that will be on the N5? That's what I'm most worried about since that'll be the phone I'll have as of tomorrow.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    That makes sense. But, wouldn't this be the exact app that will be on the N5?
    Yes, it'll be on the Nexus 5, but it may run differently and a bit better on the Nexus 5 than it does on the Nexus 7. So I would hold off on judging the app until you actually use it on the Nexus 5. It might not be "clunky and slow", for instance, on the Nexus 5.
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Yes, it'll be on the Nexus 5, but it may run differently and a bit better on the Nexus 5 than it does on the Nexus 7. So I would hold off on judging the app until you actually use it on the Nexus 5. It might not be "clunky and slow", for instance, on the Nexus 5.
    Exactly, I'm trying to explain that to my father who wants the newest feature that I am "toying" with right now but doesn't understand the possibility of bugs and then just says I hate this. I understand the possibility of these flaws since it is not the proper build for our devices but jump to conclusions when it won't properly work.

    I'm trying to also get him to understand difference between CM 10.2 and his Stock OS as well.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #33  

    Default

    Nexus five in hand now for about 4 hours. In my honest opinion, my judgment remains the same. Its not even downloading MMS. Its just a blank message. I don't understand how a default messaging app can get by without being able to even do that. Now unless I'm missing something, this is not a good texting app.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    That's odd. My mother in law sent a group MMS and I got it just fine on the hangouts app. She sent it from a Samsung phone on T-mobile
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    That's odd. My mother in law sent a group MMS and I got it just fine on the hangouts app. She sent it from a Samsung phone on T-mobile
    Using the new hangouts app on my LG G2. MMS GROUP messenger is working. Only app it works on T-Mobile. LOVING the hangouts app

    Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app
  11. #36  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Hangouts can be great. I don't see why the phone can't sync messages via a cloud type service and then display them on tablet/pc. And I also don't see why you cannot send text from a tablet/pc using hangouts and that message is pushed to your phone and sent out through it.
  12. #37  
    Cigar-Junkie's Avatar

    Posts
    551 Posts
    Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    I was hoping the integration of SMS into hangouts would solve my SMS problems with one app. I use mySMS to allow me to sync and bounce back and forth between my desktop and phone for SMS. Now between stock SMS apps, MySMS and hangouts on desktop, laptop, phone, and tablet I get duplicates and am never sure where it is coming from. It is a pain to manage and now time for a do over. Is there a good, go to app to sync SMS and MMS across all devices? Hopefully hangouts will get it done later but its not there yet.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  13. #38  
    genoist's Avatar

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    SMS on the N7 doesn't work with the Hangouts app, but it is possible to SMS/MMS from the tablet (if you have the LTE version with an active SIM card). Just install one of the third party SMS apps from the Play Store. I use GoSMS on my N7 LTE and it works just fine.
    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes "ding!" when there's stuff." - The Doctor
  14. #39  
    Cigar-Junkie's Avatar

    Posts
    551 Posts
    Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Installed MySMS on N7 WiFi tablet and it seems to work fine. No complaints, its just that I do use hangouts a lot too. Would love to use one app to unify all messaging and hoped it could be hangouts, maybe they are working on it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  15. #40  
    dhendriksen's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    I was enjoying this integration on my phone, until I raised you can't search within hangouts. I search my text messages all the time. Can't do that with hangouts, so I separated them again.

    Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Just use Google voice.
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    I've tried TabletSMS, mySMS, Mighty text and none of them seem to work very well for me. Your either have to connect through Bluetooth or be on the same WIFI network. Some don’t allow you to send or receive MMS messages. the UI's are horrible. No batch deletion, etc.. etc.. The only one that worked flawlessly for me is the VZ Messenger app
    This app lets you send and receive SMS/MMS from your tablet and PC and syncs with your phone. Works better than all those 3rd party apps because its tied directly into the network.

    If you don’t have VZ maybe your carrier has its own Messenger app. T-Mobile doesn't seem to have one. I switched to T-Mobile when I got my Nexus 5. Pretty much the only thing I miss about VZ. I'm going to try CloudSMS and see how that works.
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    Issues with hangouts:
    1. cannot save all the pictures/video in a series, only the first one is downloadable.
    2. message from people are not showing up on my Chromebook. isn't this suppose to be integrated??
    3. when i get to 150 characters they stop showing up and I have to send 2 separate messages.
    4. why cant I select which people in a group I want to send the message to? Instead, I have to send another message, why??
  19. #44  

    Default Re: Hangouts and SMS

    you can use hangouts from your computer, and there is no number associated with that
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Hangouts disappointment
    By grn4frk in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 04:08 PM
  2. LG G2 GPS and Pandora Bluetooth Issues
    By thescreensavers in forum Verizon LG G2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 03:21 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 07:13 PM
  4. T-Mobile G2 LED and Trackpad Notification Lights
    By eromezab in forum T-Mobile G2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 10:02 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 06:09 AM

Posting Permissions

B