app icons disappearing or don't even show on the screen, anyone else?

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
i just installed a non-google play store's app, the icon is not added on the screen at all .

then i just realized that twitter's icon disappeared, too.

does that happen to anyone else?

so far, i have had random shut down, camera can't be found, app icons disappearing, system freezing. i get used to windows' problems, so i don't know if it is similar to android, or if i really get a defective product?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, when you install an app from a source other than Google Play, a shortcut does not get added automatically to the homescreen--you have to do it yourself. As far as I know, only Google Play gives an option for a shortcut to be added automatically.

Second, from where are you installing this non-Google Play app? If it's from a less-than-reputable source, you have a higher chance of installing malware, which may be why your device is also acting odd.

You might want to try a system cache partition wipe, which erases temporary system data that might cause problems, especially after a system update. This will not cause you to lose any important personal data:

1. If your tablet is on, power it off.

2. Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.

3. Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.

4. Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.

5. While holding down Power, press Volume Up.

6. Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and press Power to select it.

7. When complete, highlight "reboot system now" and press Power.

Posted via Android Central App

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
yes, twitter someone is not no the home screens any more. i had to add it manually. it is still in the drawer.

i don't use it often, so i don't know when it disappeared. i obviously installed it after i did a factory reset a few days ago.

i have this app icon disappearing problem before and after factor reset. does that happen to anyone else or anyone has heard about this problem before?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Shortcuts can disappear after an app update, especially if it's a major update.

Posted via Android Central App