Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By BrandonEnr7
  • 2 Post By Ardalista
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to prevent nexus from updating when connected to mobile hotspot?

I would like to have updates take place when I'm connected to home wireless only so I don't waste my cell data

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: How to prevent nexus from updating when connected to mobile hotspot?

App updates? Just turn off auto-update and then you can update your apps whenever you want.

Default Re: How to prevent nexus from updating when connected to mobile hotspot?

The Nexus doesn't know if the wireless its connecting to is a mobile hotspot or not, so you're going to have to go all manual on the updates to avoid that. Unless there are connection-specific settings I'm not aware of.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

If you're talking about updating apps over wifi only, you can do this from the Play Store settings. Open the Play Store, tap menu and then Settings, then Auto Update Apps, and select Auto Update Over Wifi Only.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    If you're talking about updating apps over wifi only, you can do this from the Play Store settings. Open the Play Store, tap menu and then Settings, then Auto Update Apps, and select Auto Update Over Wifi Only.

I think you missed the part where he doesn't want it to update on a wifi connection to a mobile hotspot. That setting won't prevent updates on the hotspot.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Oh, I see. Tasker could probably be programmed to update apps when it senses that the device is located at home. I assume the mobile hotspot wouldn't be on at home.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

If you have the newest Play Store update, you can straight up turn that off and update when you need. I do it anyway just so I don't have the issue of an update breaking an app like Hulu did with its last update
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to prevent nexus from updating when connected to mobile hotspot?-img_20131103_190301.jpg  

I am agreeing with most other people. I think it is most simple to just change the settings in the Play Store to not allow Auto-Update. I like doing that as I am one of those dorks who loves to read through a changelog before actually updating an app. Also I know some connections at places are going to be slow so I don't want a large update to be started even if I am on a WiFi access point.
    B. Diddy, YAYTech and vmurph like this.

Not sure if it takes this into consideration or not but go to settings - data usage then select the settings icon in the corner and select mobile hotspots and check the boxes to indicate which WiFi ssid's relate to mobile WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
    howardv and WOAHesco like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardalista View Post
    Not sure if it takes this into consideration or not but go to settings - data usage then select the settings icon in the corner and select mobile hotspots and check the boxes to indicate which WiFi ssid's relate to mobile WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    I complete forgot about that option. What's weird is my Wi-Fi Hotspot from my Galaxy S3 is already checked and I never did that setting. I guess the device might be able to tell if it is a mobile hotspot already. Not sure what this policy applies to which apps and in what way though.