Wi-Fi symbol permanently grey, all Google services work?

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Since a few days ago the Wi-Fi icon on my Nexus 7 stays grey all the time, but all Google apps behave perfectly normal and synchronization works as well. Is anyone else experiencing this? I think there was an update to the Google Play Services recently, could this be the cause?

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
A grey icon with bars usually means that there is an active Wi-Fi connection but no connection to the Google services. As all Google apps are working I probably shouldn't be worried. But I've never seen this behavior before.

Posted via Android Central App

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Since a few days ago the Wi-Fi icon on my Nexus 7 stays grey all the time, but all Google apps behave perfectly normal and synchronization works as well. Is anyone else experiencing this? I think there was an update to the Google Play Services recently, could this be the cause?

Mine started doing this about 2-3 weeks ago, never did it before, its really annoying, when mine is grey none of the Google stuff will auto sync, no gmail unless i open the app and refresh it manually, also my wifi on my tablet will start to drop out for just a second then come back, this also happened around the same time as the grey bars

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I get this as well, started approximately 2-3 weeks ago too. I just go to the quick controls to turn WiFi off then back on. And from there it is quickly fixed. I can't get anything to connect though even if device is sitting next to my home WiFi access point for hours.

Running stock latest official version.

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Despite not having any serious issues, I looked into the problem and finally found a simple solution. Who knows, it might even help somebody:

- Go to ?Settings? > ?Apps?, select the ?All? tab
- Scroll down to ?Google Service Framework?, tap it, then tap ?Clear data?
- ?Force Stop? the app
- Disconnect from Wi-Fi, connect again

That's all! The icon stays blue and correctly indicates that I'm connected to the Google services. I did not lose any data in the process, so I guess it should be safe.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Despite not having any serious issues, I looked into the problem and finally found a simple solution. Who knows, it might even help somebody:

- Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘Apps’, select the ‘All’ tab
- Scroll down to ‘Google Service Framework’, tap it, then tap ‘Clear data’
- ‘Force Stop’ the app

That's all! The icon stays blue and correctly indicates that I'm connected to the Google services. I did not lose any data in the process, so I guess it should be safe.
Thanks for the tip!!

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

- Go to ?Settings? > ?Apps?, select the ?All? tab
- Scroll down to ?Google Service Framework?, tap it, then tap ?Clear data?
- ?Force Stop? the app

Interesting, I'll have to try this out.

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Solution does not require factory resets wiping data/downloads ect.
All you need is a rooted phone and about a minute of your time.
So go to root browser and find a folder ect in that folder you will find a file called hosts open it up and edit second line of the text.It should look like this (2nd line).
74.125.93.113 android.clients.google.com mtalk.google.com
after that save and reboot your tablet/phone.From what I know every time you restart your router it will go to grey again so just edit that file again if it happens.

Gireesh Puthumana

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
@NoraMelua - Tried as you suggested but it didn't help. I could remember my phone showing that good blue icon only twice or thrice in last 4 months and that too for a few seconds only. Any help?

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Is it just a cosmetic issue or are you unable to use Google services? Did you update to KitKat? In this case the icons are white/grayish by default. ;-)

Nour Shams

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi. But I tried hosts is way and Google frame work is way but neither this nor that worked and this green icon appeared to me at 8 am where I was going to play a game so for a moment it was good but after sometime I tried to open YouTube and it doesn't open as same as the play store and the net working so good with any app unless you sign in with your Google account and that was my problem so I wish you give me something. This grey icon on my Lenovo tab is working perfectly but I'm any Google thing or account or store or requirement to sign in with Google account the network doesn't respond as I am connected to none

Jay Ignacio

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
On my android phone same problem. I figured it out when google (google +, google etc.) When it updates my wi-fi icon turns gray. It is annoying cause, im bothered always thinking that I dont have a wi-fi connection. I fix the problem by uninstalling the updates on my google. Wallah! Fix and back to normal. Hoping that this problem will be fix by google soon. :) try it and youll see it works and no harm done on any google accounts you have.

Nour Shams

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
On my android phone same problem. I figured it out when google (google +, google etc.) When it updates my wi-fi icon turns gray. It is annoying cause, im bothered always thinking that I dont have a wi-fi connection. I fix the problem by uninstalling the updates on my google. Wallah! Fix and back to normal. Hoping that this problem will be fix by google soon. :) try it and youll see it works and no harm done on any google accounts you have.
OK but i did a back up and factory reset I loses all my apps and this stupid icon stills but I can enter the face do every thing except going in to Google store or even sign in to it OK thank you but I tried it and it didn't also work but I got a Nokia x rooted one and it works very well I can even play shadow fight on it with signing in with Google play store which I set it up into it but cuz of its low performance I keep it for calling and browser but the real problem that I already factored my tab and reset it but still the grey icon either in my home is net or in any other one so wtf is this. I am looking for solutions since 2 days ago where this grey icon started to appear

Last edited:

Nour Shams

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I tried every thing but nothing works and after I reset my tab I rooted it and the grey icon stills. This tab had been working with me for a complete year and more so why now

Nour Shams

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Guys I fixed it finally thank god I tried hosts is. Way. I downloaded root explorer then gone to root,system,etc, looked for file hosts then I opened it with text Editor then put a # before the second line. Closed the WiFi and opened it the restarted the tab and it gone blue again thank you guys for helping me I am very grateful

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames