1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question is "google photos" a new feature?

after i did a factor reset, i saw this new choice for "photos" together with the "gallery", it wasn't on the list before i did a reset?

Default Re: is "google photos" a new feature?

Google Photos takes the place of G+ Gallery. From what I can tell so far, it acts like a combination of the stock Gallery app with the Google+ Photo Albums.

'Photos' is part of Google+ In settings for G+ there's an option for you to automatically have every photo you take on any device, uploaded into a section called 'highlights' (which you can make public if you want). Your pics are saved here for future use. Google can also enhance these pics for you as well. It can easily be turned off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

when did it first appear on nexus 7? it wasn't on my tablet until after i did a factory reset?

I only noticed it in the past few days. It either occurred with the most recent Google+ app update, or it was a modification on the server side. It seems to be too involved to be the latter, though.

Posted via Android Central App

Google plus has been replaced with Google Photos and I am finding it great

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Is there by chance a good description of the similarities and differences between Photos and Gallery somewhere out there? I'm still slightly confused as to where the hell my pictures are going? I love the idea of having them automatically backed up to my G+ profile...I usually just download a months worth of pics onto my own physical backup. But I need to understand what the difference between this new Photos and Gallery is. Is there anything that Google put out that explains this difference?

Quote Originally Posted by preppystud View Post
    when did it first appear on nexus 7? it wasn't on my tablet until after i did a factory reset?
    it was there previously but called Google+ photos. you just never noticed.
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Quote Originally Posted by rtshoff View Post
    Is there by chance a good description of the similarities and differences between Photos and Gallery somewhere out there? I'm still slightly confused as to where the hell my pictures are going? I love the idea of having them automatically backed up to my G+ profile...I usually just download a months worth of pics onto my own physical backup. But I need to understand what the difference between this new Photos and Gallery is. Is there anything that Google put out that explains this difference?
    Gallery is just photos on the device, regardless of how they got there. In Photos, you will see 2 tabs at the top, Highlights and Camera. Highlights is just your Google+ pics while Camera is photos on the device. You can technically not use Gallery anymore, but I don't really like the format that Photos presents them in and there is a lack of customization. I store photos on my device and I use QuickPic to look at them.

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

My gallery has more than just my specific device photos. It has my auto back up photos taken from all of my devices. My Dropbox and other profile pics attached to my Google account. I like the way the gallery organizes them best of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by rtshoff View Post
    Here's an article that just came up.

Gallery and Photos: Why does the Nexus 5 have two ways to handle images? http://www.androidcentral.com/galler...-handle-images

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I imagine soon that there will only be the photos app just like hangouts replaced the messaging app.

Sent from my Nexus 5