Must be stupid - cannot flash kitkat

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Note: everything stock on my 2013 N7... locked bootloader, stock recovery and not rooted...

Followed the instructions for downloading & manually flashing kitkat OTA:

Your KitKat Is Ready: Download And Flash Android 4.4 OTA Update (KRT16O) For 2013 Wi-Fi Nexus 7

Noted this from the instructions:

"You don't need a USB cable if you're just planning to download the OTA zip directly to your device and flash it from recovery."

When I booted into stock recovery there is no option to flash the update.zip... only option is to sideload update via ADB..

What am I missing?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Norgoth

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
The problem I am having is that once I hit 'enter" in the command prompt, it says that "device cannot be found". I went into developer mode and turned on usb debugging, etc. I have followed instructions exactly but for some reason it is not finding my device. Any thoughts about what I should do? Thanks

I see that when I connect my 7 to the computer while in Recovery Mode, under Device Manager, there is a Yellow Exclamation Mark under Portable Devices/Nexus 7. This does not happen when not in Recovery Mode. I have also update all the files under the SDK.

Last edited:

TomRubin

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
The problem I am having is that once I hit 'enter" in the command prompt, it says that "device cannot be found". I went into developer mode and turned on usb debugging, etc. I have followed instructions exactly but for some reason it is not finding my device. Any thoughts about what I should do? Thanks

I see that when I connect my 7 to the computer while in Recovery Mode, under Device Manager, there is a Yellow Exclamation Mark under Portable Devices/Nexus 7. This does not happen when not in Recovery Mode. I have also update all the files under the SDK.

That happened to me too. Under Device Manager, I get a yellow exclamation mark under portable devices/Nexus 7.
I decided to wait until I get the update OTA.

greyphox83

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Apparently an issue with windows 8.1, I get the same, when my nexus 7 is on, in debugging mode, camera usb mode, and google adb driver shown in device manager I can type 'adb devices' and it shows but as soon as i reboot and go into recovery mode, side load option .... Dos no longer see's the device. Moo!

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue yesterday on my office windows 8 machine and this fixed it, I couldn't adb side load as in recovery it shown as no devices, this fixes it, I didn't even have yo do the last reboot at the end

Q. I have Windows 8 and cannot install the drivers

How to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 8:

From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).
Click ?More PC Settings?.
Click ?General?.
Scroll down, and click ?Restart now? under ?Advanced startup?.
Wait a bit.
Click ?Troubleshoot?.
Click ?Advanced Options?
Click ?Windows Startup Settings?
Click Restart.

When your computer restarts, select ?Disable driver signature enforcement? from the list. You can now load your modified driver. The one that worked for me was PDANet for Android (Win8 compatible): http://pdanet.co/bin/PdaNetA40...

Overwrite the old files and accept the security warnings. It may give you an error and automatically uninstall PDANet, but the drivers will stay on your system.

Reboot again once the driver is installed and all will be well and you can proceed with the instructions fully as instructed in the main post above.

Posted via Android Central App

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
You just have to load the USB drivers at that point i.e click Update Driver and select Android Device. I had it too. When in recovery mode, it does not detect the same as when it is running in normal mode by Windows.

TomRubin

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Well nice to know I have company with my problem:)

I fixed the issue on my end. See this thread and install the USB drivers: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-pc-linux-4-2-unlock-root-flash-recovery.html - NOTE: after I installed the drivers, I went back to Jerry's guide and everything worked. Just use the above link to get the USB drivers.

After I did that, everything worked for me. Also, I'd recommend changing the name of the zip file to something simple to type like Nexus7kitkat - just don't add .zip to the file name - it's already a zip file.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae