Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default It's been 2 days and it seems no one has received the OTA update.

What's going on?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: It's been 2 days and it seems no one has received the OTA update.

What do you mean no one has received it?

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

Seems at least some people already got the OTA... That's how we got the link to download it manually from Google.

Two words:

Sideload ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    6,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Sideload is a good option if you're getting impatient, but the OTA started rolling slightly before Android's posts that it was rolling. My wife had the OTA before I even knew it was available. My 2013 N7 still hasn't gotten it.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Sideload is a good option if you're getting impatient, but the OTA started rolling slightly before Android's posts that it was rolling. My wife had the OTA before I even knew it was available. My 2013 N7 still hasn't gotten it.
    Two questions about sideloading KitKat:

1. Why is it called "sideload"?

2. Is there a way to do this with a Mac? All the instructions for sideloading I've read so far involve a Windows app as part of the process.

Thanks,

Doug@should just be patient
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    6,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by douglerner View Post

2. Is there a way to do this with a Mac? All the instructions for sideloading I've read so far involve a Windows app as part of the process.

Thanks,

1st one, not sure of the official reason, but it's basically because you're loading software to your device in a way other than the traditional download.

Yes, you can do it from a Mac with the SDK. Jerry explains the method here: How to manually update your Nexus tablet to KitKat [updated] | Android Central The process is almost identical except for the syntax on step 11.
    Thanked by:

This is how I look at it:

"Download" goes from the cloud directly "down" to your device. "Upload" goes from your device "up" into the cloud.

"Sideload" means that you first downloaded the file to a target besides your device's main memory (like your computer, or your device's storage), then transferred it laterally (or "sideways") to your device to install manually.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by B. Diddy; 11-15-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    1st one, not sure of the official reason, but it's basically because you're loading software to your device in a way other than the traditional download.

Yes, you can do it from a Mac with the SDK. Jerry explains the method here: How to manually update your Nexus tablet to KitKat [updated] | Android Central The process is almost identical except for the syntax on step 11.
    I might check that out. Any drawbacks in doing that as opposed to waiting for it to happen automatically?

Thanks,

Doug

Global Posts
    6,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Not really. It's not easy peasy but if you're relatively tech savvy and know what that stuff means, there is a good process to follow.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

And if the instructions here don't make any sense there are videos on YouTube on how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by douglerner View Post

Thanks,

the only reason we call it sideload is because the adb command use keyword "sideload"

its a lot simple to do it on mac... i factory restored my N4 on mac yesterday and it only took 2 min to set up the fastboot and place the image on fastboot...

flashed took 5 min... doing it on windows is a pain in the but

1. download sdk manager for mac. extract it and go to [extracted folder]-->sdk-->platform-tools
    2. place the ota file in platform-tools
    3. open terminal on platform-tools
    4. run the sideloading command on the terminal. thats it

well obviously u have to enable usb debugging from developer option
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 3.0.31-329968

I couldn't wait any longer so I sideloaded it last night for that sweet Kit Kat goodness. After the process was complete, the Play Store prompted me to update Hangouts and Search. All I had left to do was to install the APK for GEL and I was set. The only problem that I see is that the search bar overlays the useable screen in landscape mode which is annoying.

Has anyone got the actual ota or is everybody side loading... Even one person ?

propeller10 likes this.

I'm sick of this screen in pakistan and m not going to do a a side load because I have my exams I'm too busy. I am waiting for the ota and it's not coming anytime soon what the hell.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    propeller10 likes this.
    pbc

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

If it makes you feel any better, it's the same screen I see in Toronto!

It is interesting that no one on this site has seen the OTA except for the one poster above who mentioned his wife got it. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkatpaintjob View Post
    Has anyone got the actual ota or is everybody side loading... Even one person ?

I get the same "Your system is up to date" as everyone, last checked yesterday just before midnight...

Yup, I think the proper word is " frustrating". They should know updates like this is basically Christmas morning for adults that are into mobile. I feel like I'm 5 and my parents forgot Christmas...

slik6996 likes this.

Now I'm gonna have to spend a lifetime in therapy, thanks google!

What's the rush anyway? Are there any radical improvements with KK? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkatpaintjob View Post
    Now I'm gonna have to spend a lifetime in therapy, thanks google!

My cell phone is still running Froyo and my therapist giggles every time I visit.

Quote Originally Posted by George Stevens View Post
    What's the rush anyway? Are there any radical improvements with KK? I don't think so.
    In my opinion yes. My Nexus 7 v2 was fast with jelly bean 4.3, but with kit kat, it is noticeably faster. Albeit a small handful of programs are acting up until developers update them.

As for sideloading, it's not difficult at all, but it does require doing something the average user might find daunting. The method that is posted on Android Central didn't work for me so I had to use the Nexus Root Kit to sideload kit kat.
    pbc

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by George Stevens View Post
    That doesn't matter man... It's new so we need to have it. I ordered a Nexus 5 to replace my BB Q10, will probably get that before I get the OTA update!

Quote Originally Posted by pbc007 View Post
    That doesn't matter man... It's new so we need to have it. I ordered a Nexus 5 to replace my BB Q10, will probably get that before I get the OTA update!
    Exactly. It's new so we want it.

Mine is still showing up-to-date at 9:30 am Saturday morning JST. I will have soba for breakfast and take a bike ride along the Nakagawa.

doug

I want soba and Kit Kat for dessert!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast