Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Exclamation Nexus 7 (2013) no longer recognized on my PC since KitKat update??

I updated to KitKat yesterday - sideloaded. It was a huge success! My shiny new Nexus 7 has KitKat.

But today, when connected to my PC via USB, it no longer shows up.... It used to appear as an external drive that I could drag/drop files to. Now? Nothing. And Google support has no idea. They said "maybe it's a result of the OS upgrade."

I tried a factory reset - no dice.
    I've tried multiple ports and different computers - no dice.

Anyone else having this issue? Any thoughts at all?

Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) no longer recognized on my PC since KitKat update??

I have my Nexus 5 plugged into my work PC now and it sees it fine as it did with my Galaxy Nexus. (It did do a driver reset again though.) s your tablet still showing the USB connection as MTP?
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

After the factory reset, the USB connection is just a media device.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

I sideloaded KitKat last evening, and my N7 connected now to my work computer just fine.

When I was doing the sideload process though, and ran the command prompt on my computer, it initially came back with an error something like "device not found." I then installed PdaNet per the tip and link in the "Troubleshoot" section (scroll down to get there) of this page: How to manually install Android 4.4 KitKat - Nexus 7 (2012/2013) WiFi, Nexus 10 , which the author of that page said would install/reinstall the drivers. That worked for me. You might try that.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brentj View Post
    I sideloaded KitKat last evening, and my N7 connected now to my work computer just fine.

When I was doing the sideload process though, and ran the command prompt on my computer, it initially came back with an error something like "device not found." I then installed PdaNet per the tip and link in the "Troubleshoot" section (scroll down to get there) of this page: How to manually install Android 4.4 KitKat - Nexus 7 (2012/2013) WiFi, Nexus 10 , which the author of that page said would install/reinstall the drivers. That worked for me. You might try that.
    Thanks for the information. I had tried all the other steps so far, but now I'm trying the PdaNet piece. However, it's been "stuck" at the "Updating PdaNet on your phone..." part for a long time. I'm not super optimistic.

New Nexus 7 (2013) just upgraded to KitKat.

Now not being recognized by three different PCs.

Tried adjusting "Storage" from (MTP) to (PTP) and back again but that makes no difference.

Since it is not be being recognize by PC, can't transfer books via Calibre.

Anyone knows how to downgrade from KitKat to 4.3?

Global Posts
    6,285 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

You can probably find a plethora of 4.3 ROMs for the Nexus 7. I know there's a SlimBean version.

g2
    Live long and prosper.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

When I went through this, deleting ALL of the Android drivers off my computer finally helped. Not updating, straight up DELETING.

An option for not being able to transfer from Calibre, try android App Calibre Companion. Works well