Nexus 7 (2013) no longer recognized on my PC since KitKat update??

allyn274

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I updated to KitKat yesterday - sideloaded. It was a huge success! My shiny new Nexus 7 has KitKat.

But today, when connected to my PC via USB, it no longer shows up.... It used to appear as an external drive that I could drag/drop files to. Now? Nothing. And Google support has no idea. They said "maybe it's a result of the OS upgrade."

I tried a factory reset - no dice.
I've tried multiple ports and different computers - no dice.

Anyone else having this issue? Any thoughts at all?
:'(

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have my Nexus 5 plugged into my work PC now and it sees it fine as it did with my Galaxy Nexus. (It did do a driver reset again though.) s your tablet still showing the USB connection as MTP?

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I sideloaded KitKat last evening, and my N7 connected now to my work computer just fine.

When I was doing the sideload process though, and ran the command prompt on my computer, it initially came back with an error something like "device not found." I then installed PdaNet per the tip and link in the "Troubleshoot" section (scroll down to get there) of this page: How to manually install Android 4.4 KitKat - Nexus 7 (2012/2013) WiFi, Nexus 10 , which the author of that page said would install/reinstall the drivers. That worked for me. You might try that.

allyn274

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I sideloaded KitKat last evening, and my N7 connected now to my work computer just fine.

When I was doing the sideload process though, and ran the command prompt on my computer, it initially came back with an error something like "device not found." I then installed PdaNet per the tip and link in the "Troubleshoot" section (scroll down to get there) of this page: How to manually install Android 4.4 KitKat - Nexus 7 (2012/2013) WiFi, Nexus 10 , which the author of that page said would install/reinstall the drivers. That worked for me. You might try that.

Thanks for the information. I had tried all the other steps so far, but now I'm trying the PdaNet piece. However, it's been "stuck" at the "Updating PdaNet on your phone..." part for a long time. I'm not super optimistic. :confused:

clbgssvg

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
New Nexus 7 (2013) just upgraded to KitKat.

Now not being recognized by three different PCs.

Tried adjusting "Storage" from (MTP) to (PTP) and back again but that makes no difference.

Since it is not be being recognize by PC, can't transfer books via Calibre.

Anyone knows how to downgrade from KitKat to 4.3?

allyn274

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
When I went through this, deleting ALL of the Android drivers off my computer finally helped. Not updating, straight up DELETING.

lesloups

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
i have the same problem, its recognised as a camera with PTP, but when i click to change to MTP it goes off completely, but is still recognised as connected via the ject media button. ive tried all the suggestions but nothing going at all.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
when i click to change to MTP it goes off completely
It should work, so here are the things I would try (do each one and if the behavior doesn't improve then try the next more severe step):
- reboot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache
- reboot into Recovery mode and perform a Factory Reset
- reload the firmware from scratch

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
i have the same problem, its recognised as a camera with PTP, but when i click to change to MTP it goes off completely, but is still recognised as connected via the ject media button. ive tried all the suggestions but nothing going at all.

Did you recently update your Windows PC? Some of those updates were erroneous, which might have messed up the Nexus drivers. Open your Windows Device Manager, and see if there is an "Acer ADB Device" listed. If so, follow what I describe here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/427074-nexus-5-connecting-via-usb-wrong-device.html

sethgoldstein

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Here's an idea. You can always access it via your wifi network if you use AirDroid. Or you can move stuff to and from your tablet with PushBullet. I've never hooked my Android devices up to my computer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781