Now my nexus 7 is randomly rebooting.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Really, I'm getting worried about my tablet. Not only am I getting lag opening apps, but now it's doing these random reboots. Last one just happened to me when I was using Chrome, browsing these very forums, and the other was when I was installing the game data for need for speed most wanted.

I'm not sure if doing a factory restore will even do anything because I've probably factory restored this thing 10 times now. And honestly I think all those restores might have done something to the device and that's why it's acting like this.

Is there anyway to figure out what's going on? How do I know if it's because of a certain app or due to hardware? It's tough because both reboots were random and while doing different things.

CooCooCaChoo

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
First thing to do is a factory reset. If after that and it still occurs, you should go into recovery mode and wipe the cache partition to see if that helps. Random reboots are kinda hard to pinpoint especially when you don't have access to logs.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this...ended up returning my N7FHD because of it and am waiting to see the end of reports like this. Surprised KitKat doesn't fix this...do you have KitKat installed?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I've seen this...ended up returning my N7FHD because of it and am waiting to see the end of reports like this. Surprised KitKat doesn't fix this...do you have KitKat installed?

Nope haven't received the OTA yet. I'm kinda wondering why Google taking so long releasing that.

I don't think I can return the nexus 7 as it has been a few months since I've bought it.

CooCooCaChoo

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope haven't received the OTA yet. I'm kinda wondering why Google taking so long releasing that.

I don't think I can return the nexus 7 as it has been a few months since I've bought it.

You should sideload kit kat then to see if that solves the records before contacting Asus/Google for an RMA then.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
First thing to do is a factory reset. If after that and it still occurs, you should go into recovery mode and wipe the cache partition to see if that helps. Random reboots are kinda hard to pinpoint especially when you don't have access to logs.

I tried getting into recovery mode, but get a android on its back and a message saying "no command"

- - - Updated - - -

You should sideload kit kat then to see if that solves the records before contacting Asus/Google for an RMA then.

How do I request a RMA? And can I still do a RMA even if I bought it a few months ago? There's a year warranty, right?

CooCooCaChoo

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
To get am RMA you would have to contact Asus technical support and hope that you get somebody that speaks English. You can Google for instructions on how to wipe the cache partition but I remember that it isn't too difficult to perform.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
To get am RMA you would have to contact Asus technical support and hope that you get somebody that speaks English. You can Google for instructions on how to wipe the cache partition but I remember that it isn't too difficult to perform.

I've done everything people said, I still get a no command thing. Do I need to have this plug into the computer or have a piece if software installed?

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You know, my Nexus 7 did a random reboot the other day. I was trying to think of anything new that I did, and all I remembered was that I enabled location services to look up places on Google Maps. I disabled location services now (both GPS and WiFi), and so far I haven't had any reboots.

CooCooCaChoo

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
When you get the Android on its back you are close. Next thing to do is press the power button down, while holding it down press the volume up button to get to the next screen. Then from there you can door a cache partition wipe or a factory reset.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
You know, my Nexus 7 did a random reboot the other day. I was trying to think of anything new that I did, and all I remembered was that I enabled location services to look up places on Google Maps. I disabled location services now (both GPS and WiFi), and so far I haven't had any reboots.

It sometimes takes a week to happen. Most people don't even know it happens. They'll just think "hey, all my apps were closed or I went back to the home screen...must be a feature" :p
When it happened to me a few times, I didn't have a case for it, so it was just sitting on the coffee table and I saw the X logo...

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
OK, finally was able to figure out how to clear the cache. It might be placebo, but it does seem a fair bit more responsive and less laggy. Now I'm just waiting for kit-kat :/

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Rebooted once on Netflix. All I did was turn off auto rotate and then flipped the tablet around and the screen went gray and rebooted. That was two weeks ago. Have not used Netflix since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995