Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Default Running Flash well on KitKat?

Those of you whom have 4.4 KK on your N7 2013......can you fun flash as good as 4.3 on any browsers? If so which browser works just as good with 4.4?

I want to hold off on updating to 4.4 if flash will be a problem. I use it quite a lot daily. Hope that the browser devs will tweak fast to make flash continue to work well.

Default Re: Running Flash well on KitKat?

Currently I have not seen anyone get it working on 4.4. Its taken out of the AOSP browser as well.

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

Flash is broken across all browsers & platforms with KitKat. It appears to work with Puffin but that is because the Flash is executing on Puffin's servers, not using the locally-installed apk.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Man this is not good to hear. I really do not want to get the OTA and install it now until I hear someone has KK working with flash on their tablet and not off a browsers server.

Shout out if you can make flash work with the side loaded flash file in any of the browsers that have always worked.
    Thanked by:

Done update to kitkat earlier today, all looking good so far except flash

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rich215 View Post
    Shout out if you can make flash work with the side loaded flash file in any of the browsers that have always worked.
    I can confirm it no longer works on Firefox, though I rarely used it. Tried reinstalling the apk, and a newer apk that was said to work. No joy. I'm betting flash is dead with standard Android. No great loss.

Hammer

Seems to also be not working in xScope Pro in 4.4.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Lost access to star TV India channels, the website requires flash to play videos. 😬

Yeah, how come Flash doesn't work on the new Android updates? Anyone know?

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lestah_613 View Post
    Yeah, how come Flash doesn't work on the new Android updates? Anyone know?
    This is what it says on Dolphin browser developer's website () --

The Adobe Flash Player is no longer compatible with Android 4.4 Kitkat devices. Some critical APIs have been removed from Android 4.4 Kitkat that all browser cannot activate the flash player. We are working on to provide better video playing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post

The Adobe Flash Player is no longer compatible with Android 4.4 Kitkat devices. Some critical APIs have been removed from Android 4.4 Kitkat that all browser cannot activate the flash player. We are working on to provide better video playing experience.
    Surprising that Google removed functionality used by many websites...

Quote Originally Posted by heeemz View Post
    Surprising that Google removed functionality used by many websites...

They may be trying to put pressure on websites to change over to HTML5 or other modern protocols. Stinks for the consumer right now, but it would be good if that transition was made.

Broken link above... Here's a valid url:

Why would Google not let us use flash?

Does this mean that YouTube video will not work as well? Are they not Flash video?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ross View Post
    Does this mean that YouTube video will not work as well? Are they not Flash video?
    The app is not dependent on Flash, and the browser will play the html5 video objects on the website.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Android_1234 View Post
    Why would Google not let us use flash?
    The first issue is with Adobe, which long ago ended support of Flash on mobile devices. The complaining really began when the default browser was changed to Chrome on Android, which does not support Flash at all, and then people had to get flash other ways, and use other browsers. Now it seems that Flash is broken or blocked altogether, and the reasoning isn't clear. So the biggest issue is Adobe not supporting it, and websites not switching to HTML5 or other supported solutions in light of the lack of support, but it still ends up being frustrating for consumers when the reality of the situation leaves them not able to view content they want.
    Thanked by:
    moosc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    The first issue is with Adobe, which long ago ended support of Flash on mobile devices. The complaining really began when the default browser was changed to Chrome on Android, which does not support Flash at all, and then people had to get flash other ways, and use other browsers. Now it seems that Flash is broken or blocked altogether, and the reasoning isn't clear. So the biggest issue is Adobe not supporting it, and websites not switching to HTML5 or other supported solutions in light of the lack of support, but it still ends up being frustrating for consumers when the reality of the situation leaves them not able to view content they want.
    I downloaded flash from Adobe on 4.3 and it worked, Google now blocked it so it won't work.
    jnbarth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Android_1234 View Post
    I downloaded flash from Adobe on 4.3 and it worked, Google now blocked it so it won't work.
    From what I'm finding, Google didn't block it, they just changed the web engine to Chromium from the older AOSP, device wide. I haven't found anything that indicates that Google sought to block Flash, it's just completely unsupported now. And frankly I can't blame them for not investing a bunch of time to support something that isn't theirs, and isn't supported by Adobe. It's bad for stability and security.

Personally, I just bought the Puffin browser just in case I need to use a site with Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    From what I'm finding, Google didn't block it, they just changed the web engine to Chromium from the older AOSP, device wide. I haven't found anything that indicates that Google sought to block Flash, it's just completely unsupported now. And frankly I can't blame them for not investing a bunch of time to support something that isn't theirs, and isn't supported by Adobe. It's bad for stability and security.

Personally, I just bought the Puffin browser just in case I need to use a site with Flash.
    How is the performance with puffin browser? I understand that flash is processed on their server, if so - would this work slower for users who are in farther regions or countries which doesn't have puffin servers?

Flash videos on a website hosted outside US does not work using puffin browser

Just read the release notes for puffin browser and this is due to cloud servers fit puffin are hosted in US only. And in many cases the videos are restricted for specific regions only.

With this, no choice but to wait if some one revolves issue.

Not working on puffin!
    Flash is broken across all browsers & platforms with KitKat. It appears to work with Puffin but that is because the Flash is executing on Puffin's servers, not using the locally-installed apk.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,516 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Ask your website to switch to html5. Not Googles fault like mentioned adobe has stopped supporting mobile flash. As the late great Steve Jobs said flash is dead. Guess he was right.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Since flash is now dead on the n7, i'll be using my lg g pad jb 4.22. And my samsung tab 3 jb 4.22 for flash sites. 4.22 is great as is 4.33. Kit kat is absolute garbage. It offers nothing but negatives. I'm sorry i fell for it on my nexus.

This is the biggest mistake, took away one of my favorite features. Can we go back to Jellybean? Flash is a must

Posted via Android Central App
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast