Cracked screen but I didn't drop or smash it, a warning!

CoxyXJR

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
One moment the screen on my Nexus 7 (2013) was fine, next time I opened the case it had several large cracks in it. I hadn't dropped it, bashed or smashed it in to anything. I had however carried it in the pocket of my cargo pants, a snug but not tight fit. So did it get twisted somehow? I don't think so but either way a portable device should be able to handle general use, (not abuse), when out on the road. I have to believe that the Nexus 7 is a very fragile unit that the slightest knock may well break, it seems many people have experienced this issue. As for Asus service and warranty ~ what a shower of <language removed by moderator> they are, totally wiping there hands of any warranty repair. So what will it cost to repair ~ they won't answer, I have to send it to them for assessment if I then choose to not have it repaired I'll be charged the extortionate fee of ?50 for the privilege ~ beware! Other companies are charging around ?150 for screen/digitizer repair with delivery but this would void the warranty on my 3 month old unit. I was about to purchase a Nexus 5 but not a chance now!:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I've ever read anything about the screen mysteriously cracking before, so I'm not sure where you're finding these "many people" who have experienced this issue. More than likely you smacked into something while your Nexus was in your pocket and you did not notice until you pulled it out, or you put some other sort of strain on it and bent it sufficiently that the stress was enough to pop it.

Glass breaks. Treat your gadgets with respect and care.

CoxyXJR

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Coyote a simple Google search will soon reveal the 'many people' I've mentioned, only took me 5 mins to find a number of threads reporting very similar cases to mine. Obviously glass breaks, as a professional Lighting Cameraman with over 18 years experience handling delicate equipment I'm well used to treating 'gadgets' with respect and care. My point was to indicate just how fragile this particular device is, I was hardly jumping around on a pogo stick and doing barrel rolls around the place, nor was I aimlessly bumping in to objects. The Nexus was in a semi rigid case protected front back and sides. I've now ordered a Peli case for when I'm out on the road with it....................

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Coyote a simple Google search will soon reveal the 'many people' I've mentioned, only took me 5 mins to find a number of threads reporting very similar cases to mine. Obviously glass breaks, as a professional Lighting Cameraman with over 18 years experience handling delicate equipment I'm well used to treating 'gadgets' with respect and care. My point was to indicate just how fragile this particular device is, I was hardly jumping around on a pogo stick and doing barrel rolls around the place, nor was I aimlessly bumping in to objects. The Nexus was in a semi rigid case protected front back and sides. I've now ordered a Peli case for when I'm out on the road with it....................

A 'simple' Google search shouldn't take 5 minutes to find a number of threads, lol... The userbase is pretty broad here at AC, and this is the first report I've read (though I haven't read every post of every thread) referring to spontaneous cracking of a screen, so "to believe that the Nexus 7 is a very fragile unit that the slightest knock may well break" seems a bit overzealous. Carrying it unprotected in a snug pocket isn't the best way to handle "delicate equipment" and "treat it with respect and care". Even the simple measure of an ultra-slim case will provide greater structural support against flexion, which is pretty important for a tablet whose glass runs edge to edge. Also, whether you face the screen towards your leg (less stress on the screen) or outward (more).

I'm very sorry about your screen, but there is no evidence to suggest that this issue is 'widespread' or even remotely akin to the issues the back glass of the N4 suffered. It is possible that it was truly a result of defective manufacture, but sadly that determination is solely at the manufacturer's discretion.

CoxyXJR

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Jeremy, I quite agree that carrying it unprotected in a pocket would be daft, that's why I had it in a case as I stated. I'm not saying it 'spontaneously' cracked just that it's not as tough as advertising would lead us to believe and I for one, (when i've paid the repair fees), will treat it like a newly laid egg. Perhaps I was expecting too much from a portable device, I certainly expected more from customer service, hope you never have to deal with them............... good advice on the position of the screen in a pocket, I shall never consider it safe in one again though.........

CooCooCaChoo

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
More than likely the screen got flexed to the point where it would crack. And I'd imagine that it would be easy due to the size of the screen. Lesson learned, you can't and shouldn't carry it like a phone.

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My nexus 7 is case less and it has fallen off the side of my bed (3foot drop) on the wood floors with no screen damage at all...

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Drops, falls, flexes, even temperature changes... they're all a crapshoot. You could have a device fall from 10ft and survive fine, but fall a foot and hit just right, and crack. It's all about exactly how it hits & where. A case reduces the chances, but nothing eliminates it.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Jeremy, I quite agree that carrying it unprotected in a pocket would be daft, that's why I had it in a case as I stated. I'm not saying it 'spontaneously' cracked just that it's not as tough as advertising would lead us to believe and I for one, (when i've paid the repair fees), will treat it like a newly laid egg. Perhaps I was expecting too much from a portable device, I certainly expected more from customer service, hope you never have to deal with them............... good advice on the position of the screen in a pocket, I shall never consider it safe in one again though.........
I dont remember seeing any advertisements that said the Nexus was tough or even eluded to it. Do you have links or examples? I feel your pain. Nobody likes to have their devices get damaged but it sounds like you are not taking responsibility. You should not expect customer service to give you a new either. All in all, your post just emphasized that it is not a smart idea to carry your Nexus in a pants.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

You don't have to jump around or smash into things to have an unlucky break. Put enough stress on the device and hit it in the wrong place and boom. If you're used to carrying around lighting and camera rigs in a hectic shooting environment, maybe something smacked into the tablet while it was in your pocket, with or without stress applied through your leg position. Since you had it in a case and in a pocket, you probably were not thinking about it. Maybe you were distracted by the far more valuable equipment in your hands. But maybe not. Try and recall what you were doing in the time between checking your Nexus so you can avoid or minimize the chance of it happening again.

My point being, glass doesn't break spontaneously and the Nexus 7 isn't any more fragile than other tablets on the market. There's always an outside factor, be it impact, stress, or even rapid temperature change behind a broken screen.

Edit: For the record, I searched this forum before I made my earlier post. If anyone had suffered a random broken screen, they likely would have said something. Nothing came up.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Drops, falls, flexes, even temperature changes... they're all a crapshoot. You could have a device fall from 10ft and survive fine, but fall a foot and hit just right, and crack. It's all about exactly how it hits & where. A case reduces the chances, but nothing eliminates it.

I've owned 4 Android phones, 3 Nexus 7s, 4 iPads, an iPad mini, and more iPod touches than I can count off the top of my head. Recently I had my first screen break with a two year old GNex. It has been abused and survived numerous hard drops onto various surfaces.

So you are right, the wrong set of circumstances and bad timing can hit and you have a cracked screen staring at you. Fortunately the Gnex still works and I will replace it in a couple of weeks anyway.

Hammer

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I think it's an inherent design flaw. the screens are machine pressed and glued on to the borders of the screen area, causing warping and the screen to be under constant tension. I very lightly use my N7, and it's already creaking a little at times. if you look at the reflection in your N7 screen when it is off, you'll see how it is not 100% uniformly flat, it gets kind of like a funhouse mirror effect along the borders. the areas of the screen glued to the bezel are raised while the physical screen area is kind of sunken in ever so slightly. I'm thinking this is caused by a suction pressure being exerted during the application of the screen in production.

I actually warned people about this potential issue at launch date, since I already had mine for a bit.

Sassi666

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I too have read several reports on the net about the Nexus screen just cracking. I'm getting one for Christmas from my husband so was a little worried, but it's reassuring to hear that it doesn't seem to be a major issue as no one here seems to have heard of it and there aren't a plethora of posts on the board with this problem :)

Futura Labs

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
New Nexus 7 is really nice machine, gorgeous display. I bought my nexus 1 week ago. I usually have it in my jeans back pocket, baggy jeans. Sometimes in my Dickies shorts front pocket. Yesterday I sat down in my favorite kebab stand in Bangkok, reached for tablet in Dickies front pocket, screen had a tiny tiny crack in the corner, no response to touch anywhere on screen. Feels really bad, it was such a nice machine. Repair cost seems close to buying new tab. I dont know what 7 incher to get now, after Nex7 I cant go back to samsung 7 or 8 inchers. What to do? Buy anothet Nex7 and hope it lasts longer than 1 week? Only other tablet that is as nice is new apple mini retina.. it is very nice.. but it is apple, I like android 1000 times more. Sony Z Ultra is nice, i wish it was an inch larger, and cost slightly less. Ughh.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
They are not particularly strong devices. They do flex pretty easy and people have noticed screen problems after some use with flexing being the prime suspect. Flexing is a product of making devices thinner and thinner and lighter and lighter. And in the case of this device being made to a very competitive price point. Pennies matter in a device with this thin margin, and the number should.

There is no 'Google should', it is what it is. Somewhere you flexed it beyond its limits.

In having 6th device and hitting android forums close to daily, all of those devices have some percentage of users who cracked their screen without dropping them. The N7 2013 is hardly unique on breaking 'for no reason'.

Keep in mind when you Google a problem you are surveying a huge user base and most people will minimize their actions in breaking them.

The, perhaps bitter, fact is that your device did not spontaneously explode in your pocket.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
i hairline cracked mine not oo long ago from a drop on my soft rug. sigh. i just want to know where to buy the best replacement for the cheapest. its from wal mart so im opting out from asus. plus there expensive. rather find one three layer piece and do it myself. touch screen ,digitizer and lcd BUT how can i be sure its the same resolution lcd? been looking for one to buy for a month now under 150 bucks. idk if it will ever be.

Futura Labs

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
In having 6th device and hitting android forums close to daily, all of those devices have some percentage of users who cracked their screen without dropping them. The N7 2013 is hardly unique on breaking 'for no

I agree, people post stories about how their device broke, and minimizing or denying alltogether the fackt hat they actually dropped the phone, or sit down while having the device in back pocket.

I am being honest here, I never accidentally sat on it, or do something that would break any phone. I described how my Nex7 display cracked simply by having the tablet in the pocket of baggy shorts.
I've ownrd 4 tablets before Nex7, I never managed to break any of them. Fact is, Nex7 is built to be very light and slim, I think designing super nice tablet, Asus went too far wanting to have almost perfect looking device, this tablet is too flexible, and broken screens are the result. Asus should have designed it stronger, increase the price $20. But it is the best 7 incher right now, so im gonna buy another Nex7, and be extra gentle with it.

Last edited:

Futura Labs

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I've ever read anything about the screen mysterioudly cracking. your Nexus was in your pocket and you did not notice until you pulled it out, or you put some other sort of strain on it and bent it sufficiently that the stress was enough to pop it.

Glass breaks. Treat your gadgets with respect and care.

It is a piece of glass and plastic, Im sorry, but I do not treat appliances with respect. I slam the fridge door, I through tv remote across the room to my friend. I carry a laptop in a backpack, when travelling. And I have not broken anything before, Nex7 is the only one that died on me with normal use. Reading posts on other forums, and doing quick ggl search makes it clear Nexus 7 is too fragile.

Phones and computers are appliances, I dont have any respect for them, not for my fridge, not for microwave oven, not my laptop... or any other mass produced appliance. I dont expect them to be damaged to the point repair cost is close to buying a new unit. . with normal use, a tablet shouldnt break so easily.

I had HTC HD2 3 or 4 years ago. There was a warning sticker, a clear sticker on the screen of the phone, warning not to keep in back pocket, while sitting down. HTC warned the phone could be damaged. Asus should have have highly visible warning also, saying their device is fragile, and be extra careful with it.

Asus should provide repair service at reasonable cost. $150 to replace the screen is unreasonably high. $50 would be acceptable, $150 is absurd.

Last edited:

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
It is a piece of glass and plastic, Im sorry, but I do not treat appliances with respect. I slam the fridge door, I through tv remote across the room to my friend. I carry a laptop in a backpack, when travelling. And I have not broken anything before, Nex7 is the only one that died on me with normal use. Reading posts on other forums, and doing quick ggl search makes it clear Nexus 7 is too fragile.

Phones and computers are appliances, I dont have any respect for them, not for my fridge, not for microwave oven, not my laptop... or any other mass produced appliance. I dont expect them to be damaged to the point repair cost is close yo buying a new unit. . with normal use.

Asus should provide repair service at reasonable cost. $150 to replace the screen is unreasonably high. $50 would be acceptable, $150 is absurd.

the screen is what costs most to produce. the rest are relatively dirt cheap electronics and materials. it may be smaller than a big screen TV, but it takes highly specialized processes to make a 1080p 7inch screen, not to mention it's not just a screen....it's layers of different technologies.

I don't think anyone in their right mind, abuses LCD screens. you don't throw your TV across the room onto the couch when moving it do you? the nexus 7 is essentially a miniature TV screen, making it all the more fragile.

sure they can make the N7 less fragile, but only to a point. there's a point where no matter how strong you make the body, the glass or some other component will still break simply because of impact force and inertia.

ultra strong screen materials exist, but we still have a little waiting before they start mass production.