Experiencing difficulty in encrypting my 2013 N7 after 4.4 (build KRT16S) upgrade

gotRoot

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how many folks out there encrypt their devices, but it's usually the first thing I do when I get a shiny new Android device.

Encrypting my Nexus 7 worked perfectly as of 4.3 via both PIN and password. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get encryption working on the latest 4.4 build (KRT16S) and am wondering if anyone else has been able to encrypt their N7? Here's the steps I've taken so far on my N7 (2013):

1. Reset the device to factory defaults prior to upgrade (always a habit of mine)
  2. Applied the 4.4 KRT16O upgrade via sideload
  3. Applied 4.4 KRT16S OTA patch (which I originally thought fixed a bug for encrypting devices)
  4. Made sure N7 was 100% charged and plugged in
  5. Start the encryption process in the Security settings area
  6. Input my PIN (also tried same with a password) when requested

From there, my N7 displays the familiar green android, shuts down and then goes through the normal boot up procedure back to the initial "login" screen that I unlock with my PIN (or password). If I go in to check the settings, the device is not encrypted and I can begin the encryption process again. Rinse and repeat, the same thing happens.

I've reset the device to factory default a couple of times just for good measure and I am still not able to encrypt my 2013 N7. What I find most odd is the encryption process works as expected on my old Nexus 7 (2012 edition) running the latest build of 4.4 (side-loaded, then OTA patched at same time as my 2013). Any ideas as to what other steps I could take to encrypt my 2013 N7?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have not encrypted any of my devices but "N7 displays the familiar green android" means something is wrong with recovery..

do u have the stock recovery?

gotRoot

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have not encrypted any of my devices but "N7 displays the familiar green android" means something is wrong with recovery..

do u have the stock recovery?

Oh, no not that green android. The one you get when you begin the process to encrypt one, if you have never done an encryption, you've never seen it.

gotRoot

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that seems to be a reproducible problem. I encrypted mine, flashed to kit kat, tried to encrypt again and no go.

So as it turns out, it took 4 tries for mine to work. I looked at the Google forums for other folks experiencing the same issue and there was a post by a Nexus 5 owner with the same issue. Turns out, his worked after trying to encrypt it multiple times... Not really sure why, but it just took a few tries for it to work. So later that night, I tried a few times and on the fourth attempt, it finally took and my N7 was encrypting. Still troubling that it took more than one attempt for it to actually work.

Here's the forum post I was talking about. One person also chimed in about removing his AV app, but mine was freshly restored so no additional apps were on it, just took a few tries after a fresh restart. Give it a shot and see if it works for you as well...