Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) Kit Kat causes a lot of lag

kal1209

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Since upgrading to 4.4 YouTube has been slow. It's so bad it's unusable. Same goes for loading the Play Store. I don't know if others have experienced this. I know my internet is fast enough.

Posted via Android Central App

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Kit Kat causes a lot of lag

My dashclock widget on my homescreen takes 5-6 seconds longer to load now, and bootup time appears a bit longer. Not too happy about that. Hopefully nothing else occurs

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I definitely have some not much but a small amount

This matches my experience. Just kind of random lag, but doesn't last long and no real Patten. Stock was a bit more responsive.

YouTube seems ok for me. maybe a bit slow to start and load videos but playback in a window and full screen seems fine. But I'm on Clean Rom and Elemental kernel.(default settings on the kernel. That might matter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Adam Gali

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

I have experienced the same, like youtube videos lagg in every second, not so heavy, but i can see that. Hope it is going to be fixed, because youtube in this form is useless.Videos with youtubes mobile page ( chrome) working good, but i want to use the app...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

This is why I'm never as excited and impatient as some about updates. My devices, historically, tend to perform better with the release they came with. I also didn't experience anything in KitKat that made me say, "Wow, now THIS is what I'm talk'n about! This is the Android I've been longing for!" Perhaps my experiences are unique.

G Pad 8.3

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

This is why I'm never as excited and impatient as some about updates. My devices, historically, tend to perform better with the release they came with. I also didn't experience anything in KitKat that made me say, "Wow, now THIS is what I'm talk'n about! This is the Android I've been longing for!" Perhaps my experiences are unique.

G Pad 8.3

Totally agree. The more things I find in 4.4 on my n7 that I dislike, the more I like jellybean on my Xperia. My wife's getting my n4, but I haven't bothered updating it.

Found another unpleasant surprise on my n7 by the way. Google Keyboard isn't popping up the letter of each key I press anymore. I liked that feature a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I am experiencing no lag with YouTube and Play Store. Both seem to run the same as before the update, which is very smoothly.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

None here but sometimes when scrolling through the app drawer the launcher can crash but I'm sure there will be a 4.4.1 update very soon

jaimeastin

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

My brand new Nexus 7 with almost no apps (Skype, SkyDrive, infinite Flight, OneNote, RD, Netflix, Chase/BoA Banking Apps, and maybe one or two more)... These apps were even running in the background. I was trying to browse the play store and it was so sluggish and lagging with every attempted input. I don't have mail or an other services set up yet. I thought it was maybe my screen protector, but I had no issues before kitkat.

I wish I would have not let it install KitKat as I did not have any issue before hand. It is my fault... I should have read up on the update and waited. I had no expectations for it, other than I would be fine. I see many people were waiting on it... I guess I will just factory reset my device. I have nothing to lose at this point as nothing is set up... It just bugs me that it would have these issues. I could see if I had hacked it or had many apps and services modified. Shoot, it is almost stock... :(

I know in time it will be good, but man I want to go back to jellybean...

kal1209

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

My brand new Nexus 7 with almost no apps (Skype, SkyDrive, infinite Flight, OneNote, RD, Netflix, Chase/BoA Banking Apps, and maybe one or two more)... These apps were even running in the background. I was trying to browse the play store and it was so sluggish and lagging with every attempted input. I don't have mail or an other services set up yet. I thought it was maybe my screen protector, but I had no issues before kitkat.

I wish I would have not let it install KitKat as I did not have any issue before hand. It is my fault... I should have read up on the update and waited. I had no expectations for it, other than I would be fine. I see many people were waiting on it... I guess I will just factory reset my device. I have nothing to lose at this point as nothing is set up... It just bugs me that it would have these issues. I could see if I had hacked it or had many apps and services modified. Shoot, it is almost stock... :(

I know in time it will be good, but man I want to go back to jellybean...

Will doing a factory reset restore the android version that came with the nexus? I have done two factory tests since getting Kit Kat and it didn't roll back the android build.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Will doing a factory reset restore the android version that came with the nexus? I have done two factory tests since getting Kit Kat and it didn't roll back the android build.

No, a factory reset will simply refresh the tablet using the recovery image available to the version of Android on the tablet. So, if you've already upgraded to 4.4, it will reset to that. If you want to restore an earlier version of Android, you'll need to flash the image for whatever version you want manually. If you want to try it, this guide tells you how to do it. It was written for the Nexus 4 but the process should be the same, although you'll need the Nexus 7 image rather than the Nexus 4 image. :)

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree. The more things I find in 4.4 on my n7 that I dislike, the more I like jellybean on my Xperia. My wife's getting my n4, but I haven't bothered updating it.

Found another unpleasant surprise on my n7 by the way. Google Keyboard isn't popping up the letter of each key I press anymore. I liked that feature a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The letters popping up is a option in the settings for the keyboard, go into google keyboard settings and make sure the feature is on, good luck.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The letters popping up is a option in the settings for the keyboard, go into google keyboard settings and make sure the feature is on, good luck.

Unfortunately, they took that option away. I looked. I wonder if this was some patent issue due to You-Know-Who (aka the Company That Shall Not Be Named).

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Lol what do mean the new nexus 7 shipped with 4.3 upon release

- - - Updated - - -

This matches my experience. Just kind of random lag, but doesn't last long and no real Patten. Stock was a bit more responsive.

YouTube seems ok for me. maybe a bit slow to start and load videos but playback in a window and full screen seems fine. But I'm on Clean Rom and Elemental kernel.(default settings on the kernel. That might matter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463