Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) Kit Kat causes a lot of lag

Since upgrading to 4.4 YouTube has been slow. It's so bad it's unusable. Same goes for loading the Play Store. I don't know if others have experienced this. I know my internet is fast enough.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Kit Kat causes a lot of lag

Nope, no lag here. Try wiping the system cache partition--this can sometimes help with performance issues after a system update: http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...tion-wipe.html

No lag here

I definitely have some not much but a small amount

Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

My dashclock widget on my homescreen takes 5-6 seconds longer to load now, and bootup time appears a bit longer. Not too happy about that. Hopefully nothing else occurs

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky_Rizzles View Post
    I definitely have some not much but a small amount

This matches my experience. Just kind of random lag, but doesn't last long and no real Patten. Stock was a bit more responsive.

YouTube seems ok for me. maybe a bit slow to start and load videos but playback in a window and full screen seems fine. But I'm on Clean Rom and Elemental kernel.(default settings on the kernel. That might matter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Facinate SC 2.8nv

I have experienced the same, like youtube videos lagg in every second, not so heavy, but i can see that. Hope it is going to be fixed, because youtube in this form is useless.Videos with youtubes mobile page ( chrome) working good, but i want to use the app...

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

This is why I'm never as excited and impatient as some about updates. My devices, historically, tend to perform better with the release they came with. I also didn't experience anything in KitKat that made me say, "Wow, now THIS is what I'm talk'n about! This is the Android I've been longing for!" Perhaps my experiences are unique.

G Pad 8.3
    Live long and prosper.

Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    This is why I'm never as excited and impatient as some about updates. My devices, historically, tend to perform better with the release they came with. I also didn't experience anything in KitKat that made me say, "Wow, now THIS is what I'm talk'n about! This is the Android I've been longing for!" Perhaps my experiences are unique.

G Pad 8.3
    Totally agree. The more things I find in 4.4 on my n7 that I dislike, the more I like jellybean on my Xperia. My wife's getting my n4, but I haven't bothered updating it.

Found another unpleasant surprise on my n7 by the way. Google Keyboard isn't popping up the letter of each key I press anymore. I liked that feature a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I am experiencing no lag with YouTube and Play Store. Both seem to run the same as before the update, which is very smoothly.

None here but sometimes when scrolling through the app drawer the launcher can crash but I'm sure there will be a 4.4.1 update very soon

My brand new Nexus 7 with almost no apps (Skype, SkyDrive, infinite Flight, OneNote, RD, Netflix, Chase/BoA Banking Apps, and maybe one or two more)... These apps were even running in the background. I was trying to browse the play store and it was so sluggish and lagging with every attempted input. I don't have mail or an other services set up yet. I thought it was maybe my screen protector, but I had no issues before kitkat.

I wish I would have not let it install KitKat as I did not have any issue before hand. It is my fault... I should have read up on the update and waited. I had no expectations for it, other than I would be fine. I see many people were waiting on it... I guess I will just factory reset my device. I have nothing to lose at this point as nothing is set up... It just bugs me that it would have these issues. I could see if I had hacked it or had many apps and services modified. Shoot, it is almost stock...

I know in time it will be good, but man I want to go back to jellybean...
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by jaimeastin View Post
    My brand new Nexus 7 with almost no apps (Skype, SkyDrive, infinite Flight, OneNote, RD, Netflix, Chase/BoA Banking Apps, and maybe one or two more)... These apps were even running in the background. I was trying to browse the play store and it was so sluggish and lagging with every attempted input. I don't have mail or an other services set up yet. I thought it was maybe my screen protector, but I had no issues before kitkat.

I wish I would have not let it install KitKat as I did not have any issue before hand. It is my fault... I should have read up on the update and waited. I had no expectations for it, other than I would be fine. I see many people were waiting on it... I guess I will just factory reset my device. I have nothing to lose at this point as nothing is set up... It just bugs me that it would have these issues. I could see if I had hacked it or had many apps and services modified. Shoot, it is almost stock...

Will doing a factory reset restore the android version that came with the nexus? I have done two factory tests since getting Kit Kat and it didn't roll back the android build.

Factory data reset shouldn't roll back the version.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    KK 4.4.3

Quote Originally Posted by kal1209 View Post
    Will doing a factory reset restore the android version that came with the nexus? I have done two factory tests since getting Kit Kat and it didn't roll back the android build.

No, a factory reset will simply refresh the tablet using the recovery image available to the version of Android on the tablet. So, if you've already upgraded to 4.4, it will reset to that. If you want to restore an earlier version of Android, you'll need to flash the image for whatever version you want manually. If you want to try it, this guide tells you how to do it. It was written for the Nexus 4 but the process should be the same, although you'll need the Nexus 7 image rather than the Nexus 4 image.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Default Re: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) Kit Kat causes a lot of lag

Quote Originally Posted by Rule9 View Post
    Totally agree. The more things I find in 4.4 on my n7 that I dislike, the more I like jellybean on my Xperia. My wife's getting my n4, but I haven't bothered updating it.

Found another unpleasant surprise on my n7 by the way. Google Keyboard isn't popping up the letter of each key I press anymore. I liked that feature a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    The letters popping up is a option in the settings for the keyboard, go into google keyboard settings and make sure the feature is on, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by heggood View Post
    The letters popping up is a option in the settings for the keyboard, go into google keyboard settings and make sure the feature is on, good luck.
    Unfortunately, they took that option away. I looked. I wonder if this was some patent issue due to You-Know-Who (aka the Company That Shall Not Be Named).

No lag here. It actually sped up my Nexus 7, which had started to get laggy on 4.3.
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Unfortunately, they took that option away. I looked. I wonder if this was some patent issue due to You-Know-Who (aka the Company That Shall Not Be Named).
    I don't think it is a patent thing, BB10 keyboards have it, and I think WP8 does as well.

Lol what do mean the new nexus 7 shipped with 4.3 upon release

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ezas View Post
    This matches my experience. Just kind of random lag, but doesn't last long and no real Patten. Stock was a bit more responsive.

YouTube seems ok for me. maybe a bit slow to start and load videos but playback in a window and full screen seems fine. But I'm on Clean Rom and Elemental kernel.(default settings on the kernel. That might matter.

Perform a factory reset. It's always advised to do so after taking an ota.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by ezas View Post

I don't think the lag is from Kit Kat, but from some random app update of late. Mine started lagging last night something horrible, and then it would stop. I don't have 4.4 yet.

Just an update.. The performance really does stink on my Nexus 7. I almost want to return it. This KitKat update has something to do with it. I am really not happy with it now. It isn't even fun to use as I have to power it off just to get stable performance...

Since I have used an android device in a while, What is the best way to factory reset it and restore it to a state where I am? On my surface/windows phone it will download all of the apps that I had installed... I am not looking for the data as it may or may not restore, but at least putting all of the apps back will be nice. I will try a restart before I flash it back to 4.3. This reminds me of taking my mac from 10.6 to 7... Oh did I hate lion... I hated it so much I stopped using it... Then I sold it... I don't want to get rid of my Nexus, but honestly I has not met my expectations and I still use my surface for fun. Is it just the play store that is super sluggish after the KitKat update? No novice here guys, I am more than a tech Junkie professionally and personally.

One of my android buddies told me that Android just needs the OS restored every so often for best performance. That is no good... It is like the old windows days... Seriously. Android is going through all of the pain Windows did a decade ago.

One of my android buddies told me that Android just needs the OS restored every so often for best performance. That is no good... It is like the old windows days...
    That is pure nonsense and he doesn't know what he's talking about. I've used a Droid 2 for two years, a Galaxy S3 for the past 17 months, and the wife has used an Atrix for two years and now a Note II for a year and we've never needed to reload the OS for any sort of performance issues. Matter of fact I only flashed my OS once on my Droid 2 and that was only because of Motorola's awful color scheme change when they went to Gingerbread I believe it was. I flashed back to Froyo and used the device until the physical keyboard started failing hence the upgrade at the end of my contract. Upgrades often cause problems and it's always best to wait and read all the feedback for weeks afterwards before you make the jump. This isn't limited to Android, Windows is well renowned for update problems, both in small updates and major OS revisions. Apple's system OS's also have similar growth pains. I work in IT for a living and numerous times their OS updates have broken remote access to our firm. Even iOS 7 came with numerous complaints and I can tell you firsthand it's very sluggish on older devices like the iPhone 4.

But saying Android needs an occasional wipe and reinstall to keep running smooth is pure hogwash.

Rev.
    Galaxy S5
    Ubuntu Linux 12.04
    IT Tech
    Thanked by:
    thatguy97 likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

That's bad if it requires you to reset it every so often. I just got into the android world but now I see why people like the simplicity of iOS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast