Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No usb support!

Strange! My new nexus needs an app to actually accept data on a pendrive.
    After running an iPad for years, i was hoping for some more connectivity and ease to work with external connections. I am very disappointed about this, but if that is what you get, I'll take it as a man.

I have found an app that browses the files on the memory cards in my DSLR: RawVision.
    I have also found an app that finds the images on a pendrive: Nexus Media Importer.
    That is nice, but it would be much more convenient (and more like working with a desk top pc) if these facilities would be integrated in a File Browser/Manager. Until now I could not find a File Manager which does this. I have downloaded File Wrangler and ES File Explorer, but these apps don't see anything connected with an OTG usb cable.
    Does anybody know a file browser that looks outside the tablet?

Default Re: No usb support!

if you root your tablet and install stick mount most file explorers will see the external storage
    I use ES file explorer and see my USB drive i mounted with stickmount fine

Sent from my 2013 Nexus 7
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I heared about rooting. Something like jailbreaking an iPad I guess.
    That means I loose my warrenty, don't I?

Yes, but you can always unroot. And have you thought about accessing files through a network share or is this not an option for you? (ES File Explorer and Solid Explorer can both do this.)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

No, I might be a stubborn exeption (everybody nowadays want wireless), but I want WIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflies55555 View Post
    No, I might be a stubborn exeption (everybody nowadays want wireless), but I want WIRED!
    That's okay, I use both.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflies55555 View Post
    Strange! My new nexus needs an app to actually accept data on a pendrive.
    After running an iPad for years, i was hoping for some more connectivity and ease to work with external connections. I am very disappointed about this, but if that is what you get, I'll take it as a man.

I have found an app that browses the files on the memory cards in my DSLR: RawVision.
    I have also found an app that finds the images on a pendrive: Nexus Media Importer.
    That is nice, but it would be much more convenient (and more like working with a desk top pc) if these facilities would be integrated in a File Browser/Manager. Until now I could not find a File Manager which does this. I have downloaded File Wrangler and ES File Explorer, but these apps don't see anything connected with an OTG usb cable.
    Does anybody know a file browser that looks outside the tablet?
    I agree - the USB port on the N7 is close to useless compared to a PC USB port. I understand this is a flash device that isn't really a USB host like a PC. It's really a glorified flash drive with a screen.
    But laptops and especially ultrabooks run off batteries and flash storage (SSDs), so why can they have USB ports that recognize devices like keyboards and mice and mount hard drives and flash drives like a PC without using a OTG cable or 'rooting' or using an app that isn't part of the OS?

Is this the case with an unrooted Nexus 7 (2013) and Kitkat? So, the only way to get USB OTG on the nexus 7 is by rooting?

Quote Originally Posted by rsehawaii View Post
    Is this the case with an unrooted Nexus 7 (2013) and Kitkat? So, the only way to get USB OTG on the nexus 7 is by rooting?
    First you need a special cable called an OTG USB cable that doesn't come with the N7 and that you can't buy in a store. When you get it on the internet (Amazon) it might not work for one reason or another.

Then you need to buy ($3.99) and install an app called Nexus Media Importer. This app allows you to stream content from the flash device. You can't write to it or use it for app data.

I think you can use keyboards, mice and console controllers also with an OTG cable.

With Nexus Media Importer, you can write to the flash device, as long as it's not NTFS formatted.

Re: "Nexus Media Importer"
    I believe it is possible to write (export) from N7 to connected media -- flash card, memory card, HD

Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    First you need a special cable called an OTG USB cable that doesn't come with the N7 and that you can't buy in a store. When you get it on the internet (Amazon) it might not work for one reason or another.

Then you need to buy ($3.99) and install an app called Nexus Media Importer. This app allows you to stream content from the flash device. You can't write to it or use it for app data.

I think you can use keyboards, mice and console controllers also with an OTG cable.
    You need to learn how to use NMI. It can read a flash drive and transfer files. Here is a bit of an explanation I wrote for a guy trying to transfer photos:

Download photos to Nexus 10 down rd photos
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4