Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By preppystud
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

Default anyone has their Nexus 7 shutdown by itself?

Last night it happened. Early morning when i press power button, it will not turn on, apparently the tablet shut down. Battery was full at 96%

I know I did not shut it down because I never shut down my devices while asleep

Is there a way to find out what caused it? A log or something?

Thanks.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Default Re: anyone has their Nexus 7 shutdown by itself?

Happened to me once. Had to do a series of holding down power & volume up and down for it to finally boot

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would try a bug report once you get the thing working. If nothing else you have written evidence so you can look at it later.

What if i told you

android is superior to ios

Yes, it has. Twice in two weeks. Lack of response was the precursor on both occasions, followed by the shutdown.

Angry Re: anyone has their Nexus 7 shutdown by itself?

Mine did this yesterday. It's now hung indefinitely at the 'google' screen and will not boot. Only 3 weeks old and already problems.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

I had this on the N7FHD I bought the first week of launch and returned it. Yes, it exists on some of them....surprised it still happens w/ kitkat (I assume you have Android 4.4 on it?)

The one thing i have noticed is that whenever the thing does restart, an update to my apps is almost always available.

Y U NO LIKE POST?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    I had this on the N7FHD I bought the first week of launch and returned it. Yes, it exists on some of them....surprised it still happens w/ kitkat (I assume you have Android 4.4 on it?)
    yes, it had 4.4 now. As of this post, it only happens once and I had no problem turning it back on, but it's just strange that it happened.

Can it be HW failure? Or SW related issues? I am trying to determined that with this post so I can decide if I should return it or not.

Thanks.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gameson View Post
    Can it be HW failure? Or SW related issues? I am trying to determined that with this post so I can decide if I should return it or not.
    Honestly, no one seems to know. There are multiple theories:
    - bad driver (SW issue)
    - cruft from an old upgrade (might need a factory reset after upgrading to 4.4)
    - data corruption writing to flash (HW but might be able to be worked around in SW)
    - battery calibration issue (SW or HW)

The worst part is it takes a while to happen...mine happened twice over 3 weeks, w/ random reboots in addition. It makes it hard for Google/Asus to chase it down as well (I've been on that side of development and intermittent stuff like this is horrible to hunt down)-:
    And some people don't know they have the random reboot issue...someone posted recently that it was annoying that their tablet closed all their apps the next day, but this was obviously the reboot issue...

If it's only happened once and then gone days without a reboot, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine has spontaneously rebooted maybe three times in the several months I've had it.

I've had it happen a few times since purchase. On mine it has always happened when it was left on wireless charger overnight. Doesn't happen often--but when it does, it has always been on charger.

No issues restarting, though.

Hi! I have the same problem for 2 days. Many-many shutdown. At the 1st 4-5 shutdown I could use 30 sec push the button, but now its randomly works or not. I tried to restore factory settings and there was a rebbot after it as well. I think it's the problem of the 4.4.2 and hope they Androi will update it, but now its UNUSABLE! It's a 10 days old device....

I have had this happen maybe 2 or 3 times since I purchased the N7 in August. So far, I haven't noticed why it rebooted. Perhaps when there is a fatal crash of some sort the tablet is designed to simply reboot itself (as opposed to the old Windows blue screen of death). I think it is a safety valve but I'm far from an expert in such matters.

I just did the cache partition flash, and it worked for a while before I woke up to an unresponsive nexus 7 and had to restart it. This is so frustrating!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!

Well its now July 2014 - just this week my nexus started powering down around about 80% battery charge and asking to be plugged into the charger and going dark. Its happened a number of times in the past few days. I have to plug it in... wait a minute then do a reboot. To be safe from this I have you use it plugged into the charger... which of course stops it from being mobile.. grrrr... So any one found a solution to this?

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by azurecom View Post
    just this week my nexus started powering down around about 80% battery charge and asking to be plugged into the charger and going dark
    Have you already wiped the system cache and done a Factory Reset?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by azurecom View Post
    Well its now July 2014 - just this week my nexus started powering down around about 80% battery charge and asking to be plugged into the charger and going dark. Its happened a number of times in the past few days. I have to plug it in... wait a minute then do a reboot. To be safe from this I have you use it plugged into the charger... which of course stops it from being mobile.. grrrr... So any one found a solution to this?
    Make sure you are using the charger and cable that came with the unit. A charger for a phone does not pass enough current. You need 1.2+ amps @ 5 volts.
    Thanked by:

as a person who has sent the tablet for 6 repairs. i can tell u something to do.

1. install the free app called "reboot logger". that way, you will know when this computer randomly shut down or reboot. sometimes it happens when you are not using it.

2. random reboots have happened to me before. sometimes it is due the hardware, they may replace the motherboard. or sometimes, like the last time, they simply reinstalled the system on my tablet. and somehow, this tablet doesn't randomly reboot or shut down since June 28th.

for me, i have done some cache cleaning and factory reset, it didn't help at all.

so if you see your tablet randomly reboot or shut down often, then contact asus for a repair. if it only happened once since then, maybe it is just a random thing.

--
    update: after i wrote this yesterday, my tablet decided to reboot itself again. so it seems that the resintallation of the system may not help.
    Last edited by preppystud; 07-06-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    Thanked by:

tried a lot of things - safe mode, removing recent apps, and finally reset to factory settings. None worked. Figured I would have to send for repair when a friend suggested something that worked on cellphones so try on nexus - IT WORKED!!!
    So..
    1) shut Nexus off
    2) plug in charger cord
    3) check when nexus is fully charged (tap on button to see little icon of battery load)
    4) unplug charge cord and turn on
    5) turn off nexus
    6) plug in charger cord for a few seconds
    7) unplug charger for a few seconds
    8) repeat 6 & 7 about 3 more times
    9) unplug charger cord and turn nexus on
    10) use nexus regularly and see if it still happens or not
    In my case, it totally fixed it and nexus has been running normally since then. This process somehow resets the battery monitor which evidently had gotten screwed up somehow.
    Anyway, happy to share a FIX yay!

that sounds like that he was telling a joke instead of a real solution.

i suggest that you install "reboot logger", that will record every reboots your tablet has.
    Thanked by:
    thatguy97 likes this.

tried everything before that and nothing worked. That worked. Good enough for me. Nexus still running perfectly after that.