Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting and its risks.

Hey all, so for christmas I am getting a Nexus 7 32gb wifi (2013). I am a bit of a coder and pen tester, so I would naturally like root so I can tinker with my device, and install apps I otherwise would not be able to. Now I am new to Android and have never rooted, I wanted to know, rooting directly out of the box, am I playing with fire? Is there much risk of me bricking my tablet? Can I get it repaired if it's bricked? Any help would be appreciated.

Also is it true the nexus 7 comes charged out of the box? O.o

Global Posts
    4,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

Default Re: Rooting and its risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Infiltrator View Post
    Hey all, so for christmas I am getting a Nexus 7 32gb wifi (2013). I am a bit of a coder and pen tester, so I would naturally like root so I can tinker with my device, and install apps I otherwise would not be able to. Now I am new to Android and have never rooted, I wanted to know, rooting directly out of the box, am I playing with fire? Is there much risk of me bricking my tablet? Can I get it repaired if it's bricked? Any help would be appreciated.

Also is it true the nexus 7 comes charged out of the box? O.o
    Welcome!!

If you're new to the Android world, I would start off by watching videos and reading up on rooting the N7. The risk of bricking your device is always there and only increases if you don't know what you're doing. You can sometimes unbrick devices but when messing with something like this, that should never be an option.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    Welcome!!

If you're new to the Android world, I would start off by watching videos and reading up on rooting the N7. The risk of bricking your device is always there and only increases if you don't know what you're doing. You can sometimes unbrick devices but when messing with something like this, that should never be an option.

Thanks!

I see, I have seen some people have hardware issues with the n7, so I may wait a week or two before rooting, just to make sure all is good with it. I do want to root it eventually though. For sure.

Global Posts
    4,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

Thanks!

I see, I have seen some people have hardware issues with the n7, so I may wait a week or two before rooting, just to make sure all is good with it. I do want to root it eventually though. For sure.
    Rooting can honestly go through smoothly as long as you follow the instructions to the T. Even though I've been doing it for years, I still obsessively read and watch videos just in case

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Rooting can honestly go through smoothly as long as you follow the instructions to the T. Even though I've been doing it for years, I still obsessively read and watch videos just in case
    As I imagined. I am an avid linux user, and use it as my main OS so I personally see no risks to rooting, but reading up it seems I was wrong. I don't want to have a chance of bricking my new device, if I knew that if I followed the instructions perfectly it would generate no issues, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Global Posts
    4,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

I've had my two incidents of bricking. One time I had to send in my Galaxy Tab 7 to get fixed (there was a paid service I used for that) and the other time was my Motorola Photon that got messed up before a family party. Luckily I had an upgrade on my account so I just got a new phone. It took me a day or two to get it back to working order

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I've had my two incidents of bricking. One time I had to send in my Galaxy Tab 7 to get fixed (there was a paid service I used for that) and the other time was my Motorola Photon that got messed up before a family party. Luckily I had an upgrade on my account so I just got a new phone. It took me a day or two to get it back to working order
    Hmmm I see, this really puts me off. I may wait 'till I get my new HTC one in feb then, at least if something goes wrong I am not left device-less. The main app I wanted was the DSploit set, they look like great fun.

Global Posts
    6,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

The Nexus 7 is a wildly popular device with multiple methods to root. My personal favorite is Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit because its really easy to use and explains what its doing and what the risks are. I think the developer did an outstanding job and they continue to update with bug fixes, support, and features.

gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.

Generally rooting itself is very safe (depending on method and how well you follow directions). I'd say the danger is what you do *after* gaining root access.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

I can't think of a reason to root my Nexus 7. It's not loaded with bloatware and it's running 4.4. What would I want to change?

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    6,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by jaj324 View Post
    I can't think of a reason to root my Nexus 7. It's not loaded with bloatware and it's running 4.4. What would I want to change?

If you saw SlimBean it'd answer that question me thinks.

gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.

Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    If you saw SlimBean it'd answer that question me thinks.

gp8.3
    That good huh?

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Ghost touches??? Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    6,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by jaj324 View Post
    That good huh?

I think so.

Optimus G Pro
    Live long and prosper.

You don't necessarily have to flash a ROM to benefit from having root access. There are several great root-only apps. There are also custom kernels if you want to check that out.

+1 to the WugFresh toolkit. Super easy. Although I don't think rooting a Nexus "manually" is too difficult if someone's comfortable with computers. It's also a good learning experience.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

See I am getting mixed opinions some people say if you follow the right guide and do the exact things it tells you there is no risk, others reckon it's always a random chance of bricking your phone, if for example I was to brick it via rooting would it be a soft or hard brick? I was told that you can't get a hard brick unless messing with custom ROMs, again that could be a load of rubbish for all I know.

Global Posts
    6,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

See I am getting mixed opinions some people say if you follow the right guide and do the exact things it tells you there is no risk, others reckon it's always a random chance of bricking your phone, if for example I was to brick it via rooting would it be a soft or hard brick? I was told that you can't get a hard brick unless messing with custom ROMs, again that could be a load of rubbish for all I know.
    There's always some risk. When you step of a curb there's a risk you could slip, break your neck, and die. How often has that risk kept you from stepping off of a curb?
    Live long and prosper.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    There's always some risk. When you step of a curb there's a risk you could slip, break your neck, and die. How often has that risk kept you from stepping off of a curb?
    You're convincing me lol, but to be hoenst this is the only gift Ima get this xmas and my family found it hard to get the money together for presents this year, don't wana tell them 30mins after opening it "yeah I kinda rendered it uselss" ya know? I think I'll go ahead, if it don't work I'll send it back and say I didn't even get to use it lol.

Global Posts
    4,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

I hope my story about bricking my devices didn't turn you off to rooting. All of the Ambassadors here know I'm very pro-rooting as I will suggest it to anyone that's willing to try. It's just that I've seen in the past that some people would root a device and it would brick because they flashed the wrong file or did something through ADB that they shouldn't have or deleted something major. I just think that giving someone full disclosure on the root process not only makes them aware of the risks, but makes them go through the process more cautiously.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Honestly it sort of did, mainly for the fact I want no risk of f*cking up my device, if I knew that it would succeed if I was to follow the instructions 100% I'd do it straight away.

Global Posts
    4,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

Honestly it sort of did, mainly for the fact I want no risk of f*cking up my device, if I knew that it would succeed if I was to follow the instructions 100% I'd do it straight away.
    My apologies then.

Honestly, if you do what I do and obsessively read and watch videos, you should be good. Keep in mind that when I say read I mean you read an entire thread because some people can experience things that aren't listed in the instructions and other users often have solutions to help out.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

No need to apologise! You're helping me out! Yeah I read every detail, also is it true the N7 comes pre-charged out of the box? ) o.0

What you have to understand is that the "risk" of rooting varies GREATLY amongst different devices.

Phones that are heavily locked down and require the hacking of exploits to gain root and/or unlock the bootloader can be quite risky, both in the ability to wind up with a bricked device and voiding your warranty.

Nexus phones and tablets, however, are a MUCH different story. The bootloaders are not locked*, so getting your tablet to a state where it can be rooted is as simple as passing along some commands. Sure, perhaps the process isn't exactly intuitive or user friendly, but it's really not supposed to be either. Based on the info you've already provided, OP, I can't image you'll have any trouble following the procedures to unlock your device and get it rooted.

The other fantastic part of owning a Nexus is that there are factory images available that you can flash at any time .... and come in very handy should you ever have an issue that causes your device to be bricked. In most cases, all you need to be able to do is get to the bootloader and flash the factory image to get your device back into working shape.

Am I trying to talk you into doing something you're comfortable with? No.
    Am I willing to take any responsibility should you decide to root your device? No.
    Do I recommend rooting your device if you think you're comfortable with doing so? Absolutely.

*[EDIT: I should have said that bootloader is user-unlockable, it does shipped in a locked state]
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I see where you're coming from, I think I will just do it straight away and be done with it, I mean, #YOLO AmIRite? xD

Global Posts
    6,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I got my 32GB Nexus 7 LTE last evening. I'm getting ready to use Wugfresh's EXCELLENT Nexus Root toolkit to both root it and maybe flash CM or SlimBean. I feel like if I can do this anyone can.

g2 cm10.2
    Live long and prosper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast