New Nexus 7 and Kit Kat 4.4 crashing during sleep?

Dave Woods

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Is there some way to get an event viewer type log in Android to find out what is going on in the system as I am trying to solve a crash/shutdown issue?

For some reason my new N7 2013 (my first Android device) is crashing/turning off, but only while its asleep. Its not consistent, but it is annoying. Ive tried resetting to stock but I still have the issue.

I did some googling and saw that it was a common problem with the old N7 (termed Sleep of Death) but unlike that issue mine always turns back on (no need to plug into a PC or hold down volume and power at the same time).

Short of resetting again and introducing apps one at a time to find the issue I would like to find a way to track down if its a rogue app or hardware problem.

The only other odd thing would be that during a 3D intensive game (Choplifter HD) it gets warm (though not that warm) near the left speaker/front camera end of the phone (though on the back of the tablet). Not sure if this is normal, but since its only GPU intensive games I would imagine so. Certainly not much warming than my iPad 3.

Of note, I have the issue while its idling overnight, or if its left charging on the new wireless charging pad, though never if I leave it plugged in charging via USB. And as I said, its not consistant. Some nights its fine, some nights not, though I think the most uptime Ive had is 5 days.

Oh, when using powertoggles when it does first turn on, the battery reads 00 for a moment before it seemingly reads the battery to get the correct battery level, which it then displays. During these times there is always plenty of power left in the battery, its not that its run out of charge overnight.

Matt_Zenick

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Is there some way to get an event viewer type log in Android to find out what is going on in the system as I am trying to solve a crash/shutdown issue?

For some reason my new N7 2013 (my first Android device) is crashing/turning off, but only while its asleep. Its not consistent, but it is annoying. Ive tried resetting to stock but I still have the issue.

I did some googling and saw that it was a common problem with the old N7 (termed Sleep of Death) but unlike that issue mine always turns back on (no need to plug into a PC or hold down volume and power at the same time).

Short of resetting again and introducing apps one at a time to find the issue I would like to find a way to track down if its a rogue app or hardware problem.

The only other odd thing would be that during a 3D intensive game (Choplifter HD) it gets warm (though not that warm) near the left speaker/front camera end of the phone (though on the back of the tablet). Not sure if this is normal, but since its only GPU intensive games I would imagine so. Certainly not much warming than my iPad 3.

Of note, I have the issue while its idling overnight, or if its left charging on the new wireless charging pad, though never if I leave it plugged in charging via USB. And as I said, its not consistant. Some nights its fine, some nights not, though I think the most uptime Ive had is 5 days.

Oh, when using powertoggles when it does first turn on, the battery reads 00 for a moment before it seemingly reads the battery to get the correct battery level, which it then displays. During these times there is always plenty of power left in the battery, its not that its run out of charge overnight.

Hello,

If you have a Nandroid backup of anything before KitKat came out try restoring that and it should fix your problem

Dave Woods

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I do not. The tablet was purchased Nov. 18, and then 4.4 installed OTA Nov. 28-29ish? Never thought to make a backup of anything before installing 4.4 as I think I had facebook and Netflix and Kindle as my only apps installed at the time.

Could it be an issue with 4.4?

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I've had this a couple times. I put the tablet down and when I pick it up later it has shut off. Sometimes the usual power button press reboots it, sometimes I have to hold the button down longer. No issues when it restarts though... It's like it just turns itself off. Didn't happen before 4.4

Posted from my Nexus 7 via Android Central App

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had this a couple times. I put the tablet down and when I pick it up later it has shut off. Sometimes the usual power button press reboots it, sometimes I have to hold the button down longer. No issues when it restarts though... It's like it just turns itself off. Didn't happen before 4.4

Posted from my Nexus 7 via Android Central App

Same happened with mine for the first time last night. I've got 4.4.1 on my WiFi N7.

Rob Bernhard

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my N7 (2013) at 4.4.2. I have only had the tablet since mid-Nov so I did not have a lot of experience with it at previous versions of Android before it updated to the current version. I am sure this is new behavior though. Still looking for a solution.