| || |
DNS issue after Kit-Kat upgrade--solved!
Hello. I searched extensively among the Kit Kat issues threads and did not find one that was exactly like mine, so I'm posting the symptoms I was experiencing and the way I eliminated them.
I had the Nexus 7 2013 for approximately a month before installing the OTA Kit Kat upgrade. I experienced none of the following issues when I was running stock Jelly Bean.
Issues experienced after the OTA Kit Kat (4.4) upgrade:
- intermittent inability to connect to Google Play
- intermittent inability to connect to YouTube
- intermittent failure of Feedly to load new posts, or posts loaded without images
- intermittent inability to load web pages (no connection or DNS error listed)
- intermittently would load only text of a web page, not images
- intermittently would load unformatted text of a web page
The above web page issues were mainly experienced with Chrome, but I tried Dolphin and FireFox with similar results.
The point its, *sometimes* all would work well. No problems. Then the above issues would occur for a while (a few hours) then disappear again. I cleared the cache and did a factory reset, but neither resolved the issues. I also upgraded the firmware on my home router, which is (ironically) an ASUS RT-N16. I tested my Nexus with other routers (at friends), and did not have the issues above. However, I was only testing for 1-2 hours at a time, so this is not necessarily conclusive.
What finally resolved the issues was to set a static IP address for the tablet on my home network, and set the DNS to 184.108.40.206/220.127.116.11. Once that was done, none of the issues have reoccurred (so far--it's been 24 hours).
ETA: I realize that this really just a work-around, as now I don't have DHCP on the tablet. I hope the DNS issue is resolved with a subsequent release of Kit Kat!