Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    RobT43's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

    Default Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Hello everyone. I just got my first Android device today in the mail, of course it's a Nexus 7 2013 (32GB). I've been reading and see there is mixed response to KitKat. Just curious, should I stay with 4.3 (reportedly greater speed/stability) or move on to 4.4 (upgraded features and platform for the future but potentially run into bugs and lag)?

    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by RobT43; 12-09-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Typos
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobT43 View Post
    Hello everyone. I just got my first Android device today in the mail, of course it's a Nexus 7 2013 (32GB). I've been reading and see there is mixed response to KitKat. Just curious, should I stay with 4.3 (reportedly greater speed/stability) or move on to 4.4 (upgraded features and platform for the future but potentiallyy run into bugs and lag)?

    Thanks in advance!
    Haven't found anything wrong with my 4.4.1 update on the nexus 7.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Aside from some individuals that have had some issues (which happens with any update), the biggest complaint has been that flash is broken on 3rd party browsers (it already didn't work in Chrome). However, there is now a workaround that works with Dolphin browser. Overall, though, most of the 4.4 update was behind the scenes efficiency updates that aren't all that noticeable on the Nexus 7, so it's not a big loss to not update yet. If you regularly use flash in a favorite browser, and don't want to have to use Dolphin (or Puffin, but Dolphin will outperform Puffin since it works on-device), or if you have no bugs and don't want to risk getting one, then it's not a bad idea to hold off. But I think most people haven't had issues with the update, so it's not bad to go ahead with it either.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
  4. #4  
    travaz's Avatar

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,015 Global Posts

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    I have 4.4 and the only thing that happened was the touch screen became unresponive. After I restarted it has been fine. I say upgrade.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Aside from some individuals that have had some issues (which happens with any update), the biggest complaint has been that flash is broken on 3rd party browsers (it already didn't work in Chrome). However, there is now a workaround that works with Dolphin browser. Overall, though, most of the 4.4 update was behind the scenes efficiency updates that aren't all that noticeable on the Nexus 7, so it's not a big loss to not update yet. If you regularly use flash in a favorite browser, and don't want to have to use Dolphin (or Puffin, but Dolphin will outperform Puffin since it works on-device), or if you have no bugs and don't want to risk getting one, then it's not a bad idea to hold off. But I think most people haven't had issues with the update, so it's not bad to go ahead with it either.
    The only advantage to 4.4 is the location services (GPS) toggle in the settings pull down menu.
    The worst thing about 4.4 is the breaking of flash in Firefox. I'm using Dolphin now, but I miss the add blocker on FF.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    I have run across apps that don't work with 4.4 yet. Specifically the DirecTV app. Streaming is broken under 4.4. Also it appears that App Ops is a bit more difficult to use (requires app from app store now vs shortcut via Nova). So I would just say take a look at your apps and see if anyone has reported any issues.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Go w/ 4.2.2....awesome
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Just got the 4.4.2 ota update and everything works fine as far as I can tell.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  
    hotspurs2's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbird View Post
    Just got the 4.4.2 ota update and everything works fine as far as I can tell.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I have not yet updated to 4.4. Is there anyway I can tell what version is waiting to be installed (4.4.1, 2)? Also I have had one bout of the stuck on flashing "X". Does anyone know if this update may cure?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobT43 View Post
    Hello everyone. I just got my first Android device today in the mail, of course it's a Nexus 7 2013 (32GB). I've been reading and see there is mixed response to KitKat. Just curious, should I stay with 4.3 (reportedly greater speed/stability) or move on to 4.4 (upgraded features and platform for the future but potentially run into bugs and lag)?

    Thanks in advance!
    I've had no problems with 4.3, 4.4, or my 4.4.2 update.

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    I haven't had any problems with 4.2.2, but I don't really use flash. Flash going away on mobile is inevitable anyway, so don't worry about it too much...
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    I upgraded but I was upset I have a N5 and I love the swipe to the far left and Google Now is there, Or say OK GOOGLE and I can search but on the N7 4.4 it is no there I should have not upgraded till then..
    MacBookPro, iPad, iPod. My go to device are Nexus5 and Nexus 7(2013).
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusNick123 View Post
    I upgraded but I was upset I have a N5 and I love the swipe to the far left and Google Now is there, Or say OK GOOGLE and I can search but on the N7 4.4 it is no there I should have not upgraded till then..
    Just download the Google edition launcher. Works just like the n5 afterwards

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Mine is current os and its running fine. My Bluetooth iems still go full volume if I try to adjust volume on the n7 so using the volume control on the Bluetooth receiver is a must. All my devices have always been volume synced before 4.4 and I was hoping the latest patch would fix that but no. That is the only thing bugging me and its a minor annoyance. Happy Holidays folks!!! :-) :-)


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobT43 View Post
    Hello everyone. I just got my first Android device today in the mail, of course it's a Nexus 7 2013 (32GB). I've been reading and see there is mixed response to KitKat. Just curious, should I stay with 4.3 (reportedly greater speed/stability) or move on to 4.4 (upgraded features and platform for the future but potentially run into bugs and lag)?

    Thanks in advance!
    I upgraded a few weeks ago and it broke my GPS and at least one app stopped working (Pac12 Now) so I had to revert back to 4.3 (which involved a system wipe). I'm waiting until I have a lot more time to play before trying KitKat again.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    How to install Flash
    Flash is not supported by default on the Nexus 7 or by the Chrome browser, but you can get it working.
    First, you’ll want to install an alternative browser, Firefox or Dolphin is recommended. Then you’ll need to grab the Adobe Flash Player APK from outside of Google Play. Here’s a link to get it at the XDA Developer’s Forum. You will need the “install from unknown sources” option enabled as described above. Once Flash is installed, you should be able to play Flash content on your Nexus 7. (You may have to request the desktop version of websites; you can do this in Firefox by entering the menu then Settings > More and check the box next to Request Desktop Site.)


    Has anyone tried this?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    @1dtb,

    Yes, I tried this and it worked for about a week with Amazon Prime Instant Videos...Either Amazon or Google changed the tech. I dunno. With Firefox, Dolphin and Boat browser you get the same results -- "The device doesn't have a Flash Player installed." The only browser that works is the server based browser, "Puffin" and even with this, the video is laggy. "Your mileage may vary."
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmoliver View Post
    I upgraded a few weeks ago and it broke my GPS and at least one app stopped working (Pac12 Now) so I had to revert back to 4.3 (which involved a system wipe). I'm waiting until I have a lot more time to play before trying KitKat again.
    I went back to 4.3 for a little while also. As long as your bootloader is already unlocked you can skip flashing the userdata image, that way your settings and user apps will survive. That's what I did
    anyway.
    "Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"
    AT&T HTC One X 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ ElementalX, Nexus 5 32GB, Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1dtb View Post
    How to install Flash
    Flash is not supported by default on the Nexus 7 or by the Chrome browser, but you can get it working.
    First, youll want to install an alternative browser, Firefox or Dolphin is recommended. Then youll need to grab the Adobe Flash Player APK from outside of Google Play. Heres a link to get it at the XDA Developers Forum. You will need the install from unknown sources option enabled as described above. Once Flash is installed, you should be able to play Flash content on your Nexus 7. (You may have to request the desktop version of websites; you can do this in Firefox by entering the menu then Settings > More and check the box next to Request Desktop Site.) Has anyone tried this?
    It's my understanding that the only browser that will currently play flash on android 4.4+ is Dolphin Browser, and you also have to use a modified version of Adobe Flash Player. Works just fine on my N5 and N7.
    "Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"
    AT&T HTC One X 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ ElementalX, Nexus 5 32GB, Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    I don't know about flash in general but with amazon prime movies only puffin works as the other poster said.
    Thanked by:
    Gwaron 
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Stay with 4.3 or risk 4.4 (or 4.4.1)?

    Im 4.4.2 and loving it

Similar Threads

  1. radio strength compared to GS3 or Iphone
    By Murphy5111 in forum Moto X
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 10:35 AM
  2. USB Flash Drive With Unrooted N7 2013
    By Daddyroid in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 07:20 PM
  3. Phone stays awake
    By capcom303 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 02:37 PM
  4. Galaxy s3 hidden folders with the '.' and how to view them on the PC
    By Policeofficerpilot in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 05:54 PM
  5. Buy now or wait a week?
    By Bnjf in forum Moto X
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions