Cannot download app

Carol Leigh

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I have Nexus 7 2 running on 4.4.2. I am trying to download an app outside of the play store. I have done this before so I know it will do it. I have the appropriate box checked to allow this from outside sources. When I scan the QR, or actually enter the url, I just get that server error message saying the resource does not exist. But I know it does because if I go to the url on my laptop the app does download. Any ideas please?

Carol Leigh

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I am going to display my total ignorance here. I don't know what multiple apps means. Or do you mean have I tried it with more than one app and none of them downloads? If so, then I have only tried it with the one simply because I only have the one to download so don't have any others I can try. It is an app my work has asked me to use in the field.
I have now managed to get this into my downloads but am unable to install it. If I click on it in the download list I get the error message 'can't open file'. The odd thing is that the icon beside the name is not the usual droid but looks more like a doc icon (piece of paper with top right corner folded in).

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To install an app from outside the Play Store, the file has to be an .apk file. When you access the file using your laptop, is it listed as an .apk file or a .doc file? Are you sure it's an app that your work has asked you to install, or is it a document they want you to use (which can be opened by any document app like Google Drive or Quickoffice)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol