Those idiots killed app ops!

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I understand this point of view, but as noticed with a certain flashlight
app, app devolpers may hide certain aspects of the app in the slew of permissions, and i don't want a simple note app to be able to access my location!

Now i know that not all apps are like this, but i enjoy being a power user!

Posted via Android Central App

To create apps developers have to make money. They are going to make it selling information, in app purchases, or direct charges from the store. Developers are focusing on IOS over Android because of the lack of money they can make on Android. When Android users are willing to pay $1, 2, 5 for an app or otherwise provide the developer revenue this will change.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe people are still harping over this. I can see maybe developers getting angry, but not users. It also only allowed you to control certain permissions. One that I wanted to control (launch on startup) was not an option and I have several apps that auto start that don't need to for my purposes.

darth android

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
This is the one argument to rule them all..
When you switch NO to a certain permission on the app, if it breaks the app, just turn the permission back ON. If it still doesn't work, just uninstall and redownload.

That is all. If you leave a review stating that the APP itself was bad because YOU altered the permissions, it is your own fault. Don't be going and ruining the power users reputations.

Also, if devolpers really are mad if we mess with the permissions, maybe they need to be more transparent and explain why a battery tester needs access to the call state, location, system log and wifi state.

That is all. The dark lord android speaks.

Remember, the ban hammer is magically attracted to rudeness!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This is the one argument to rule them all..
When you switch NO to a certain permission on the app, if it breaks the app, just turn the permission back ON. If it still doesn't work, just uninstall and redownload.

That is all. If you leave a review stating that the APP itself was bad because YOU altered the permissions, it is your own fault. Don't be going and ruining the power users reputations.

Also, if devolpers really are mad if we mess with the permissions, maybe they need to be more transparent and explain why a battery tester needs access to the call state, location, system log and wifi state.

That is all. The dark lord android speaks.

Remember, the ban hammer is magically attracted to rudeness!
I had an app a few days ago request access to the mic. This was not an audio related app whatsoever and it was so out of place with the app. Can't remember what it was now.

RecklessFable

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
What I really hate is the apps (even paid ones) that want my unique phone ID, my people list, location, etc, just to give me a lighter app or some other unrelated thing. We are essentially giving away all privacy and security on half the apps in the store. I've actually gotten to the point where simply stop using apps at all outside Chrome, email and Facebook (which already knows everything about me).

Most of the app store is just plain toxic.

darth android

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Are people truly just gonna give up? Share the petition with your friends on social media, talk to them about it, anything! Just don't let the fire die!

I find your lack of faith in android disturbing.

darth android

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Google left the framework for app ops on there, just turned off the only shortcut available to use it. So i am guessing it will probably be resurrected soon.

I find your lack of faith in android disturbing.

radiohawk

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
While I can appreciate why a developer might not be in favor of consumers avoiding permissions I much prefer a system that puts my privacy in my control. If they choose to charge for apps as a result so bet it. One of the reasons Android has grown so large so fast is it prays on the nature of something for nothing mentality... Often from the same group complaining about the difficulty in cutting the cord from a broadcast television industry that ironically gives their products away free at the expense of advertising

radiohawk

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I am unfamiliar with your petition, however if it is petitioning for more privacy and better security please direct me to it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1