Screen capture (screen shot) doesn't work

2rzTacoSr5

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed mine stopped working too. It worked a few weeks ago but went to use it today and only works with hitting power and home which doesn't work for snap chat...

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
After reading this thread, I tried it, and pushing the power and volume buttons together still works for me. When I started to use the Nexus 7 a few months ago, I thought the screenshot feature didn't work at all. It took me a while to get the right feel or timing or whatever magic it took, but eventually it worked, including today, running 4.4.2.

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Power button + volume down works for me. However the on-screen volume adjustment gets caught in the screen capture. Hopefully they will tweak the screen capture in the near future.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Just did Power and Volume Down and it works fine for me. I press them at the same time for about a second till it captures.

leonard land

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Holding power + vol dn does nothing on mine except reduce the volume to zero and bring up the power-airplane-silent mode thingie. Where is the screen shot image supposed to go, in the Gallery, right? How come it works for you guys but not for me?

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Holding power + vol dn does nothing on mine except reduce the volume to zero and bring up the power-airplane-silent mode thingie. Where is the screen shot image supposed to go, in the Gallery, right? How come it works for you guys but not for me?
A few months ago, I had exactly the same question--why does it work for you guys and not for me? Someone suggested that it just took some practice, so I practiced and practiced. At first, all I got was the damned volume control. Then I got some screenshots, but they all had the volume control in them, ruining the shot. But FINALLY, I managed to get one, then two, then a bunch of screenshots without the volume control. And now I can do it pretty easily. Even now, I occasionally get the volume control in the photo, but mostly not. So the person who said Practice, practice, practice was right. And some of the advice given by others in this thread was right on target--e.g., about holding down both the power button and the volume down for a couple of seconds, not just hitting them and releasing them. Just don't give up.

George Stevens

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yow! I finally got screen shot to work, sort of. Seems I need to mess about until I click the power button and volume down buttons at the precise same microsecond, and even then the screen shot gets obscured by the volume window.

So now I have a screen shot in my Gallery, and it will probably be stuck there forever unless I can figure out how to delete it, which is more than I have been able to do with the other unwanted pictures in my gallery / scrapbook.

castleruins

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
to delete from your Gallery, depending on the view, hold on the one you want deleted until the trash can appears on a top toolbar. If nothing is happening when you hold, give it a little two finger squeeze to see the 3 dots on the top right, push for options including delete.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why you couldn't delete the photo as described above, by long-pressing it in the gallery and tapping the garbage can icon. You're using the Gallery app, using a 2013 Nexus 7 running KitKat 4.4.2, right? When I open the Gallery app, there are a bunch of folders. If I select the Screenshots folder, all of the saved screenshots come up. If I long-press one of them, a number of options appear at the top of the screen, including a garbage can icon. Can you confirm that you don't see that? Remember that you can only delete a photo that is stored locally on your device. If it's a photo from Google+/Picasa, you can't delete it from the Gallery app, because it's from the cloud.

Clearing the data from the Gallery app won't actually remove the screenshot picture file from your storage--it just clears the thumbnail cache that the Gallery app generates for itself when it first scans your device for media files. I suspect that at some point, it will rescan, find those photos, and repopulate the Gallery.

George Stevens

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
" I suspect that at some point, it will rescan, find those photos, and repopulate the Gallery."

Oh no! How do I keep it from doing that? I've turned sync off. Will that do?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1