Google Search update and GEL

ajkam

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or did the December 12 update to the Google Search app reduce the number of home screen columns for my side loaded GEL from six to five?

I unlocked my Nexus 7 today and a bunch of folders and widgets had disappeared, and when I tried putting everything back the way it was, it doesn't all fit anymore.

I looked for a setting to adjust the columns and rows on your home screens like you can do with Nova launcher, but no setting exists for GEL.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
It is not just you! You should see what this update did to GEL on the Nexus 10!

Hopefully, this is an indication that Google is about to place the new launcher in the Play Store.

Posted via Android Central App

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok... It wasn't just me. I had just installed GEL a few days ago and giving it a try. Only had 3 front pages... Google now, the main screen and a 3rd screen that only had my Google Calendar widget on it. Did the update to Google search and the 3rd screen was gone along with my beautiful clock widget on the main screen. Weird!

anon(890442)

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. Lost one of my screens (actual home screen). Also lost a widget, small icons, which I had on home screen and second screen. Also lost the last folder in the folder bar.

All easy to fix, just a little annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Rotation on an N7 2013 gives you the new, discreet search and mic icons, while rotation on an N10 just - well - rotates with the same layout. It is also painfully laggy with white screen artifacts on the N10.

The Googlers have some serious work to do on GEL (or whatever Phil wants us to call it) before it is ready for prime time on tablets. I'm not sure the version for the N10 should rotate at all.

ajkam

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. I really did not like losing that screen real estate. Made me consider switching to Nova beta.

Exactly on the loss of real estate.. I really like the GEL with Google Now integration and automatic adding of homescreens. I'm impatient for this thing to be ready for the N7 and other devices. It's kind of silly to use it now because, for example, the stock digital clock widget is 4x3 and the screen is only 5 wide now, so the widget is not centerable unless you resize. I'll swing by XDA and see what the folks over there have to say. Cheers!

wildaho

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me too. All my folders and widgets and the majority of my other icons disappeared after the updates. Tried to rebuild my home screen but I couldn't get folders to work right (icons just pushed each other away, they wouldn't mesh into a folder). And the change from 6 columns to 5 really bugged me. Oh! And I couldn't get Chrome to stay in the dock either.

I decided to try a different launcher. I tried Nova and Holo but finally settled on the Epic Launcher. It's really close to GEL but configurable. Nice and simple. A couple of little quirks but working like a charm.

But why did Google break what didn't need fixed?