Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default An embarrassment of riches - too many tablets! Should I consolidate and get an iPad Air?

Currently I have the following tablets:

- Nexus 7 2013 wifi only
    - iPad 2 32 GB wifi + cellular, but no longer in contract
    - iPad 1 wifi + cellular, no longer in contract
    - an extra iPad 1, also wifi + cellular, not in contract that I got for free for helping somebody with some computer stuff

That same friend who gave me the iPad 1, wants to upgrade from his iPad 4th generation to an iPad Air, and he want to give me his 4th G iPad for free. It is a 64 GB wifi only model.

The reason I never upgraded beyond the iPad 2 was because all the later models got thicker and heavier, and I thought my iPad 2 was already too heavy, which is why I got my Nexus 7. I hardly touch my iPad 2 these days. They are both within arm's reach, but the Nexus 7 is easier to hold, and allows voice input, which I often find convenient, and most of the time I reach for it. I like the voice input on my iPhone 5 too, and I feel like something is "missing" when I pick up my iPad 2. Plus it feels like it weighs a ton next to the Nexus 7.

Well, anyway I have too many tablets. And soon I'll have the iPad 4th G. So I was thinking of selling the iPad 2, the two iPad 1s and the iPad 4 and getting an iPad Air, wifi + cellular with a data sharing plan with my iPhone 5. After all, compared to the iPad 2, the iPad Air is (1) lighter, (2) has Siri, (3) has a retina display, (4) has much better specs and (5) now the cellular model is universal, so if I take a trip to the U.S. it would be easier to use there.

Yet there are things I now prefer about my Nexus 7 with Android 4.4 over iOS 7. Like it has better sharing features, the ability to send all kinds of attachments, more customization, better "hooks" into the UI from 3rd party apps, the ability to choose your own default mail apps and browsers. It seems just more flexible overall. And the Facebook app runs "smoother" than on my iPad 2.

But I like iOS too.

I wonder if I would use an iPad Air any more than I do my iPad 2 since it is lighter than the recent iPads. The screen being larger might make reading magazines and news sites easier. And Siri is still better than the Android voice dictation in my opinion. Or will the weight and size actually keep driving me back to the Nexus 7?

Conundrums, conundrums. I do have too many "devices" right now though. Within an arm's reach I can count 12 (!) computers, tables and phones all on wifi! Who needs that much stuff?!

doug

Default Re: An embarrassment of riches - too many tablets! Should I consolidate and get an iPad Air?

Since your Nexus 7 is still pretty new, you could wait for the next gen iPad.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Global Posts
    5,577 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by douglerner View Post

- Nexus 7 2013 wifi only
    - an extra iPad 1, also wifi + cellular, not in contract that I got for free for helping somebody with some computer stuff

That same friend who gave me the iPad 1, wants to upgrade from his iPad 4th generation to an iPad Air, and he want to give me his 4th G iPad for free. It is a 64 GB wifi only model.

The reason I never upgraded beyond the iPad 2 was because all the later models got thicker and heavier, and I thought my iPad 2 was already too heavy, which is why I got my Nexus 7. I hardly touch my iPad 2 these days. They are both within arm's reach, but the Nexus 7 is easier to hold, and allows voice input, which I often find convenient, and most of the time I reach for it. I like the voice input on my iPhone 5 too, and I feel like something is "missing" when I pick up my iPad 2. Plus it feels like it weighs a ton next to the Nexus 7.

Well, anyway I have too many tablets. And soon I'll have the iPad 4th G. So I was thinking of selling the iPad 2, the two iPad 1s and the iPad 4 and getting an iPad Air, wifi + cellular with a data sharing plan with my iPhone 5. After all, compared to the iPad 2, the iPad Air is (1) lighter, (2) has Siri, (3) has a retina display, (4) has much better specs and (5) now the cellular model is universal, so if I take a trip to the U.S. it would be easier to use there.

Yet there are things I now prefer about my Nexus 7 with Android 4.4 over iOS 7. Like it has better sharing features, the ability to send all kinds of attachments, more customization, better "hooks" into the UI from 3rd party apps, the ability to choose your own default mail apps and browsers. It seems just more flexible overall. And the Facebook app runs "smoother" than on my iPad 2.

But I like iOS too.

I wonder if I would use an iPad Air any more than I do my iPad 2 since it is lighter than the recent iPads. The screen being larger might make reading magazines and news sites easier. And Siri is still better than the Android voice dictation in my opinion. Or will the weight and size actually keep driving me back to the Nexus 7?

Conundrums, conundrums. I do have too many "devices" right now though. Within an arm's reach I can count 12 (!) computers, tables and phones all on wifi! Who needs that much stuff?!

doug
    Does sound like you have too many tablets. I say sell the 4 iPads and get the iPad Air. Keep the Nexus 7, and use that for "regular" things, like browsing/gaming. Use the iPad for movie watching if you're into that, since it's bigger. The Nexus is more compact so that would be my go-to if I were to be out and about

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Default Re: An embarrassment of riches - too many tablets! Should I consolidate and get an iPad Air?

- Nexus 7 2013 wifi only

But I like iOS too.

doug

Who needs that much stuff indeed!
    Coincidentally, I have a Nexus 7 and an iPad Air myself!
    Ok so, the Nexus 7 has a better display in my opinion, but if you want a larger one, as you said you wanted a larger display for your magazines and such, then the iPad is the way to go.
    The Nexus 7 has a soft-touch plastic back, while the iPad Air with an aluminium body. If you want to go for class, go with the iPad Air.
    In terms of memory and processing power, it's the Nexus 7 hands down. The iPad Air has only 1GB of RAM. But if you don't do anything too intensive, go with the iPad Air.
    Physically, the 2 devices aren't much different, though the iPad is 1mm thinner than the Nexus if that makes a difference.
    As for battery life, it's pretty identical.
    Not sure how much capacity you need, but the iPad can be bought with more storage, while the Nexus 7 either comes with 16 or 32GB of storage.
    The iPad is more expensive.

First start with selling the iPads.
    Just get that out of the way rather then letting them devalue.
    Secondly its a personal choice for you as its ios v android, it depends on your preference. To be honest I would go android for cost factor but with you that might not be an issue.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    tr-1 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,577 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by YouTube View Post
    Who needs that much stuff indeed!
    Conicindentally, I have a Nexus 7 and an iPad Air myself!
    Ok so, the Nexus 7 has a better display in my opinion, but if you want a larger one, as you said you wanted a larger display for your magazines and such, then the iPad is the way to go.
    The Nexus 7 has a soft-touch plastic back, while the iPad Air with an aluminium body. If you want to go for class, go with the iPad Air.
    In terms of memory and processing power, it's the Nexus 7 hands down. The iPad Air has only 1GB of RAM. But if you don't do anything too intensive, go with the iPad Air.
    Physically, the 2 devices aren't much different, though the iPad is 1mm thinner than the Nexus if that makes a difference.
    As for battery life, it's pretty identical.
    Not sure how much capacity you need, but the iPad can be bought with more storage, while the Nexus 7 either comes with 16 or 32GB of storage.
    The iPad is more expensive.
    He already has the Nexus 7 though. The iPad Air would be his second tablet once he gets rid of the other iPads

Global Posts
    5,577 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Since your Nexus 7 is still pretty new, you could wait for the next gen iPad.
    That's a whole year :o
    I'd wait for the next gen Nexus 10 if anything

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    He already has the Nexus 7 though. The iPad Air would be his second tablet once he gets rid of the other iPads

Yes, but I was comparing the both of them to help him decide if he wants to buy an iPad Air.

That's a whole year :o
    I'd wait for the next gen Nexus 10 if anything

Use the same tablet for a whole year? GASP!
    EviI likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yes, but I was comparing the both of them to help him decide if he wants to buy an iPad Air.
    Yes, you are both correct. Such good points, so quickly!

Yes, I did want to clarify that my "consolidation" I mean "consolidating my iPads." I have no intention of getting rid of my Nexus 7. I love it!

It's just that I'm getting this iPad 4th G handed to me. So the real question is should I just keep it or sell it and all my other iPads and get the iPad Air. Or even cheaper, sell the iPad 2 + two iPad 1s and just keep the iPad 4th G, which is still new enough to be under warranty for another 1.5 years!

One thing I do like about my iPad 2 is if I do take a trip to the U.S. it is cellular, so I can get a temporary AT&T contract for it. The iPad 4th G model is wifi only, so outside I would generally need to do tethering with my iPhone 5. On overseas travel I wouldn't have that option.

The fact that the other devices are getting older also is a factor. One thought is that I might as well get what I can for them while they still have some value. The iPad 1s might not have much value at this point anyway.

The thing is I'm not "can't wait to get it excited" about the iPad Air. It would be "nice" and maybe a "practical consolidation" of devices is all really. Usually I'm more excited about a new gadget.

Then there is the question about capacity.

Do I need 128 GB? The way they sell here in Japan, you don't put any cash down at all, and basically get an interest-free loan for 2 years with payments tacked on to your smartphone monthly bill. So "for just a few hundred yen more a month" you can walk out the shop without paying a dime, and go from the 32 GB model to the 64 GB model. And then "for just a few hundred yen more a month" you can go to the 128 GB model. It seems a waste, looking at it that way, not to get the 128 GB model. But in my current iPad 2 I only use a little more than half the current 32 GB. I'm a terrible sucker for pricing when you look at it that way. On the other hand, those "few hundred yens per month" add up and I could use them instead for the AppleCare Plus warranty.

doug

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Yes, you are both correct. Such good points, so quickly!

Yes, I did want to clarify that my "consolidation" I mean "consolidating my iPads." I have no intention of getting rid of my Nexus 7. I love it!

It's just that I'm getting this iPad 4th G handed to me. So the real question is should I just keep it or sell it and all my other iPads and get the iPad Air. Or even cheaper, sell the iPad 2 + two iPad 1s and just keep the iPad 4th G, which is still new enough to be under warranty for another 1.5 years!

One thing I do like about my iPad 2 is if I do take a trip to the U.S. it is cellular, so I can get a temporary AT&T contract for it. The iPad 4th G model is wifi only, so outside I would generally need to do tethering with my iPhone 5. On overseas travel I wouldn't have that option.

The fact that the other devices are getting older also is a factor. One thought is that I might as well get what I can for them while they still have some value. The iPad 1s might not have much value at this point anyway.

The thing is I'm not "can't wait to get it excited" about the iPad Air. It would be "nice" and maybe a "practical consolidation" of devices is all really. Usually I'm more excited about a new gadget.

Then there is the question about capacity.

Do I need 128 GB? The way they sell here in Japan, you don't put any cash down at all, and basically get an interest-free loan for 2 years with payments tacked on to your smartphone monthly bill. So "for just a few hundred yen more a month" you can walk out the shop without paying a dime, and go from the 32 GB model to the 64 GB model. And then "for just a few hundred yen more a month" you can go to the 128 GB model. It seems a waste, looking at it that way, not to get the 128 GB model. But in my current iPad 2 I only use a little more than half the current 32 GB. I'm a terrible sucker for pricing when you look at it that way. On the other hand, those "few hundred yens per month" add up and I could use them instead for the AppleCare Plus warranty.

doug
    I would sell all of your other iPads and keep the iPad 4th gen. It's better than the iPad Air. The only upside to the iPad Air is that it's lightweight.

Global Posts
    5,577 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Use the same tablet for a whole year? GASP!
    He has the iPad 2, he's probably had it for more than a few...

Don't get an Apple Care Warranty. Its a joke.
    They had to pay out government out as they were charging hundreds for warranty conditions which were already a guarantee under Australian Consumer Law in my country. Now when they sell it to you they have to tell you the slight differences where I live.

In short, where I am its an extra fee which by law is already given to you xP

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

Why an iPad Air? Wait for the next Nexus 10, It should be releasing soon.

He has the iPad 2, he's probably had it for more than a few...

I was thinking more of the Nexus 7 that's pretty much brand new. Or the iPad 4 that is being given to him.

Global Posts
    5,577 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I was thinking more of the Nexus 7 that's pretty much brand new. Or the iPad 4 that is being given to him.
    iPad 4 won't be as much of a difference than the iPad Air would be...
    Anyway, there's no point in waiting for the next one if there was just a release.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I would sell all of your other iPads and keep the iPad 4th gen. It's better than the iPad Air. The only upside to the iPad Air is that it's lightweight.
    Why do you think the iPad 4th gen is better?

The other consideration is that if I sold all my other iPads and just kept the iPad 4th gen I wouldn't have an iPad with a cellular option. Inside Japan it doesn't matter because I can do tethering with my iPhone 5. But if I travel to the U.S. a cellular option might be convenient.

doug
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    Don't get an Apple Care Warranty. Its a joke.
    They had to pay out government out as they were charging hundreds for warranty conditions which were already a guarantee under Australian Consumer Law in my country. Now when they sell it to you they have to tell you the slight differences where I live.

In short, where I am its an extra fee which by law is already given to you xP

100% of all Apple portable items I have ever purchased have had problems and needed repairs - some after the first year. I think I need the AppleCare warranty. I've used it dozens of times because Apple's quality of construction is not that great!

doug
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,203 Global Posts

I would dump those first gen iPads at Target when they were trading them for $200 gift cards. :/

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    tr-1 likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I would dump those first gen iPads at Target when they were trading them for $200 gift cards. :/

That would have been the thing to do. Unfortunately the nearest Target is about 5,100 miles away.

Are they still doing that?

doug

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Why do you think the iPad 4th gen is better?

The other consideration is that if I sold all my other iPads and just kept the iPad 4th gen I wouldn't have an iPad with a cellular option. Inside Japan it doesn't matter because I can do tethering with my iPhone 5. But if I travel to the U.S. a cellular option might be convenient.

doug
    Sorry - I'm a bit out of it today. I meant sell all of your iPads and get the iPad Air.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Sorry - I'm a bit out of it today. I meant sell all of your iPads and get the iPad Air.
    Maybe so. Anyway, fun to think about instead of actually getting work done today.

doug
    EviI likes this.

ROM
    Stock

My question is, what have you done to build up such good technology karma? I have given, and received some electronics over the years, but it has usually been to fill a gap. Things like when I received my first dvd player when a friend upgraded. I can't imagine a conversation that starts with, "I know you have 4 tablets, would you like another?" Surely the person upgrading must know someone without an iPad that could use one. If not, I know a few... :-)

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    My question is, what have you done to build up such good technology karma? I have given, and received some electronics over the years, but it has usually been to fill a gap. Things like when I received my first dvd player when a friend upgraded. I can't imagine a conversation that starts with, "I know you have 4 tablets, would you like another?" Surely the person upgrading must know someone without an iPad that could use one. If not, I know a few... :-)

Well, this is a very old friend I've known for almost 30 years here in Tokyo, and I help him a lot with his computer stuff, by going over to his house, helping him set up computers, helping him install apps, doing screen sharing with him to fix things on his computer, meeting him at electronic stores to help him choose the right things, etc.

Even though he's 94 years old he is very energetic and just loves always upgrading to the latest thing. He always says, "This will probably be my last purchase" and I just roll my eyes.

He upgrades his iPhones, and he upgraded to the iPad 4 earlier this year, but finds it too heavy for comfort, so wants the iPad Air. Plus he feels that getting the wi-fi version was a mistake, since doing tethering is a bit complicated for him.

Because I help him so much and never take money from him, he feels like he wants to do something nice for me, so it was his idea that I should upgrade too and we'd both have the same, nice, shiny new model (since he knows I'm a gadget freak too) if I took his old iPad 1 and more recent iPad 4 and then among all the stuff I sold I'd surely have enough to get the iPad Air. His other suggestion was that he would just buy me an iPad Air outright but I said I really didn't want him to buy two iPads, so this is what he wants to do. I feel a bit guilty about it, but I didn't say no.

doug

ROM
    Stock

That is the sort of thing I do too... I figured there was some story. Sharing skills and equipment is nice. I know about the sense of guilt too... in that aspect it is definitely easier to give than to receive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast