Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) Using Setup Wizard with public WIFI

w2kpro

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
After a factory reset, the Nexus 7 (2013 non cellular version) presents the user with a setup wizard that does not cater for inputting credentials when using a public WIFI service. I only have access to public services that require more input than just an SSID and therefore cannot get past the setup page. Is there any way of dismissing the wizard and setup a connection using a browser like on a Linux or Windows system?

Last edited:

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
depends some public wifi spots will load their webpage after you hit connect and next (this happened for me over the weekend setting up someones device) There might be a menu button in the corner you can press to skip. if not I would try using a hotspot or other connection just to connect to a wifi source then skip the rest of the setup. at that time you can connect to the public wifi and go back to adding the account.

w2kpro

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I found a way around this problem. Using a Windows 7 netbook that is connected to a public hotspot, it is possible using shell commands to enable and configure a Microsoft virtual WiFi miniport adaptor. The android device can then connect to this shared adaptor. For full details see:

Chau Chee Yang Technical Blog: Turn a Windows 7 desktop to Wifi AP via Microsoft Virtual Wifi miniport adapter

or google for:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=MyWifi key=password keyUsage=persistent

for similar tutorials.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Ah yes. That is a good work around. Had to use this at first to get my Chromecast working.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12