Tethering

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
First let me say I'm sure there are many other threads on this topic but in this section I checked the first four pages & didn't find one. Sorry if I'm starting a new thread unnecessarily.

Going to pick up a Nexus 7 after xmas when hopefully I can save a buck or two. I am new to tablets & not sure the best way to go. I know I don't want to pay extra for wifi in airports or submit personal info to access "free" wifi in certain businesses. I've never come close to using the 2 GB of data I pay for each month from Verizon. Going to move away from my phablet for a smaller phone in combination with the Nexus 7. So, should I:

1) Use a third party tethering app (and if so which one)? I've heard these accelerate battery drain on phones.

2) Purchase a mobile hotspot? From what I've seen it looks like with the Jetpack, for example, you still have to pay a fee to access data even without a contract. I don't want to pay Verizon twice for the same data.

3) Try a work-around for Easytether? I know Verizon customers can't access it in the Play Store but I was thinking maybe I could download it onto my girlfriends Tmobile phone & transfer it to mine using NFC.

4) Or something I haven't considered yet?

I'm what you would probably call a casual user and rooting or super technical approaches are likely not for me. Thanks in advance for any advice!

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
If you have a Verizon share everything plan for your phone, you can just use the Verizon hot-spot and it doesn't cost extra.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Bought a 32gb (2013) for $230 at Office Depot - picking it up tonight. Best deal I've seen though might have done better if I waited til next week. Anyway, I'm bumping this thread once and if no one has any helpful advice I will just let it die.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Bought a 32gb (2013) for $230 at Office Depot - picking it up tonight. Best deal I've seen though might have done better if I waited til next week. Anyway, I'm bumping this thread once and if no one has any helpful advice I will just let it die.

Physioprof gave you the correct answer for a Verizon customer. Since you are on a tiered plan your phone likely came with hotspot capability. Turn it on and you can connect to it's Wifi with the Nexus 7. With 4G you should see speeds around 30 mpbs.:cool:

George Stevens

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I use Verizon's Jetpack and it works great. They have all sorts of plans with different maximum monthly gigs allowed. I have 5. If you get it at Costco if you don't like it you can return it within 14 days with no penalty, but - don't lose the packaging - like I did! - because then they won't take it back.

nudave

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You have a couple of options. Most aren't cheap.

Add a jetpack onto a share everything plan:
1) Free with 2 year contract or $200 for month-to-month. I believe its $20 monthly (for adding a line) for a data only device. Use the data from the main line. Negative here is your limited with the amount of data and the extra $20 a month. It's just a stupid fee and I hate stupid fees.

Add a jetpack on a separate plan:
1) Same as above startup costs, but able to choose amount of data. NOT CHEAP. $50 a month ($20 for line access and $30 for 4GB of data - the lowest offered).

Add tethering to existing phone:
1) Free with share everything plan. Depending on your current plan, it may be cost efficient, maybe not. It's not for me as I have an old voice/data plan that's low cost and I would have to change to the more expensive share everything plan, which in the end would be around the same cost as adding tethering with my existing plan.

Beyond these...not much else to use with Verizon. Get out when you can. Just my 2 cents. This coming from a loyal Verizon customer for 15 years. The nickel/dime is just getting to be too much for whats offered.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
If you already have a hot-spot enabled Verizon phone, it is lunacy to buy a jetpack, since you will have to both pay for the device (or contract) and a $20 per month access fee. If you are on a tiered share everything plan, there are no additional fees at all to use your Verizon phone as a hot-spot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

George Stevens

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If you already have a hot-spot enabled Verizon phone, it is lunacy to buy a jetpack, since you will have to both pay for the device (or contract) and a $20 per month access fee. If you are on a tiered share everything plan, there are no additional fees at all to use your Verizon phone as a hot-spot.

I just have a simple Verizon stoopidphone (no internet) + the Jetpack.

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I do not have the share everything plan. Will look at third party apps and continue to rely on my phone if I don't find one I like. Digging the Nexus 7 by the way.

eddiea

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I do not have the share everything plan. Will look at third party apps and continue to rely on my phone if I don't find one I like. Digging the Nexus 7 by the way.

Although I don't see that you've stated which phone you have, try PdaNet+ but you should first check to see if your phone is compatible here: FoxFi Devices (it uses and has FoxFi built-in).

macman4

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm have some similar questions. I'm going to buy the Nexus 7 32GB at Office Depot Google Nexus 7 Tablet 2013 32GB by Office Depot I have Verizon share everything plan, we have five phones on it. I have a iPhone 5c . So has does this tethering work. If i'm on LTE, not wi-fi , would i be able to tether to my iPhone 5 with my new Nexus 7 and it would use my data from my plan.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm have some similar questions. I'm going to buy the Nexus 7 32GB at Office Depot Google Nexus 7 Tablet 2013 32GB by Office Depot I have Verizon share everything plan, we have five phones on it. I have a iPhone 5c . So has does this tethering work. If i'm on LTE, not wi-fi , would i be able to tether to my iPhone 5 with my new Nexus 7 and it would use my data from my plan.

Yes. Assuming the iPhone 5 comes with a hotspot app. Verizon put a hotspot app on my Droid DNA

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well the iPhone 5 comes with a Personal Hotspot in its settings, is that the same thing

It sounds like it. This How to use iPhone 5 Personal Hotspot? | Verizon Wireless Community discussion on the Verizon forums goes into the details. It seems like people had issues, but if you scroll down to Dec 9, 2012 and follow the thread, one person posted some pretty detailed instructions on getting it working.

For a Verizon Android device you just launch the "Mobile Hotspot" app change the SSID (if you want) and enter a password. From then on each time your turn on the mobile hotspot you will be able to find this SSID with your other phones, tablets, or computers and connect to the internet. As I mentioned earlier the speed is pretty good. I regularly see 30 mbps.

macman4

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm back here to report Verizon Personal Hot spot works like a charm. I debated for 5 days on getting the N7, because Big Red will not support it with out a work around. Now I ask why would anyone want to pay Verizon 10 bucks plus tax to use this thing. I using my N7 on LTE for free. Of course I us my data from my share plan , but would use it anyhow if i added to my Verizon plan. For me its a win win situation.....happy as hell....plus i got a great deal on my N7... :)

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Although I don't see that you've stated which phone you have, try PdaNet+ but you should first check to see if your phone is compatible here: FoxFi Devices (it uses and has FoxFi built-in).
I have a dna. Some people are reporting they can use foxfi and some are having trouble. It seems to depend in part on whether the developers have caught up to the latest rom update. Pdanet+ suggests if you have vzn to separately install foxfi first to get all the updates.