Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can constant factory restores cause damage?

So, because of my OCD I have done a lot of factory restores on my nexus 7. Wether it was because I thought they're were bugs effecting performance, issues, or potential viruses that might not have even existed, I've probably wiped and restored my nexus 7 at least 8 times now or more. Probably more. Basically I'm wondering if doing this so many times causing any damage or performance issues? Because I still notice some lagginess and app crashing. And just unresponsiveness at certain times.

Is this just normal behavior for the device ?

Default Re: Can constant factory restores cause damage?

I have done dozens of factory image flashings on my Nexus devices over and over and never had any performance drops or problems. This goes for the Sprint Nexus S 4G, GNex and Nexus 7 (2012).

Random lag or app crashes can be contributed to many different factors and none of them are probably related to you performing numerous resets.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I have done dozens of factory image flashings on my Nexus devices over and over and never had any performance drops or problems. This goes for the Sprint Nexus S 4G, GNex and Nexus 7 (2012).

Random lag or app crashes can be contributed to many different factors and none of them are probably related to you performing numerous resets.
    But is factory image flashing the same as factory restoring?

And honestly I'm not sure what is causing these issues then

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post

Probably your self admitted OCD. I myself think I have OCD as I find myself checking every little ridiculous thing sometimes over and over. Eventually I start wondering what if i did this wrong or something, what if I didnt do that etc., about everything.

Global Posts
    5,573 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post

Basically. Factory resetting reverts it to factory settings and factory image flashing does the same, except it's done when you've flashed ROMs or custom recoveries since a factory reset then wouldn't revert it back to how it was out of the box

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Factory images in terms of a Nexus device or using an RUU or Odin package on other phones like HTC, Motorola or Samsung basically wipes the device clean and rewrites the entire device over again, OS & system/storage partitions.

Doing a " factory reset " from within Settings or from the stock recovery just wipes the data & cache of the device and resets everything but DOESN'T rewrite the OS/device partitions.

So for a true fresh start doing a factory image flashing is the route to go but it requires you unlock your bootloader to do so which is the first step in rooting a device. Not everyone is willing to do this. So the fall back for those not willing to take that plunge is doing a factory reset from within the OS/Settings options or thru the factory recovery.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

UJ95x likes this.

Flash memory has a finite number of writes before it goes bad. So many though that almost nobody would ever reach the maximum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    brosko