Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 Restarting at random

So my girlfriend and I got eachother Nexus 7's for Christmas and opened them yesterday because we're spending the holiday with my family. Mine is working perfectly but hers seems to be rebooting at random. It's only happened twice, the first time shortly after we opened it and we kinda just assumed it was an update and the second time today in the morning while she was checking something online. We noticed when it turned back on that it had a lot of the google (Maps, search, plus, ect) apps updated which I had thought it did before and mine certainly didn't restart when the apps updated. It's only happened those two times and I'm still not sure on the first one due to brushing it off, it's been on all day today with some fairly consistent use and no other restarts.

I googled it and saw this was a known issue with the but couldn't find any posts about it older than november. How often is the problem supposed to happen?

EDIT: We ended up returning it and this one is having the same issue. I noticed that it restarted during the WiFi set up exactly like first one did, but I didn't think too much of it. Now it's restarting every three days or so. Ugh. Don't know what to do.
    Last edited by Triceranuke; 01-10-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Global Posts
    7,890 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Nexus 7 Restarting at random

Welcome to Android Central
    Have you tried a factory reset? You mentioned that the other one didn't have an issue, so I wouldn't say it's a very common problem
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to Android Central
    Have you tried a factory reset? You mentioned that the other one didn't have an issue, so I wouldn't say it's a very common problem
    She's already iffy on the concept of tablets and started really enjoying hers more today, I'm probably freaking out more than her but I want factory reset/return to be a last case scenario thing.
    She hates setting tech stuff up and I don't want her to decide it's more trouble than it's worth. Haha.

Plus, when I searched it anyone who was reporting the problem mentioned that factory reset didn't work, though it's still an option if it gets bad.

Global Posts
    7,890 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Triceranuke View Post
    She's already iffy on the concept of tablets and started really enjoying hers more today, I'm probably freaking out more than her but I want factory reset/return to be a last case scenario thing.
    She hates setting tech stuff up and I don't want her to decide it's more trouble than it's worth. Haha.

Plus, when I searched it anyone who was reporting the problem mentioned that factory reset didn't work, though it's still an option if it gets bad.
    If the factory reset doesn't work. You could still flash the factory images, which is a step higher. If you recently bought it, I'd consider returning it for a replacement

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
    I just did the cache partition wipe so hopefully we don't see it happen again and she can just enjoy her new tablet while I fret about it.

Global Posts
    7,890 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Sounds good. How's it doing so far?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Sounds good. How's it doing so far?
    No restart, but it did just randomly freak out during words with friends and the screen started spazzing out but fixed itself after hitting out of the app, so that might be an app issue
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Once again it's only hers and it doesn't seem to be happening in anything but Words with Friends, and even then a quick press of the home button fixes it.
    Still if any of these things pop up again (such as the screen going sued outside of that one app) by the time Christmas is over we'll just change it out

Global Posts
    7,890 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

And I'm assuming WWF works fine on your Nexus 7?

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

And I'm assuming WWF works fine on your Nexus 7?

Yup

Global Posts
    7,890 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Yup
    Try clearing the cache for WWF and see if that helps

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Swap yours with hers. She'll probably freak out eventually.
    I think it's a hardware problem if factory reset doesn't clear out the cruft from upgrading (what I did was do all the updates when I started it for the first time, then, did a factory reset to make sure there wasn't any old stuff). You should exchange it for a different ont if this doesn't fix it. I had a similar problem w/ random reboots and battery drains (it shut down randomly w/ 80% left on battery) when the N7FHD came out initially, but the current one I have is great.

Mine was doing the same thing. Ended up exchanging. New one has no issues.
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Well there have been no issues at all since Monday so I'm hoping everything is good. Thanks everyone, and Merry Christmas!

I'll update if anything happens with it and we have to return
    Thanked by:
    amston 
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

We ended up returning it and this one is having the same issue. I noticed that it restarted during the WiFi set up exactly like first one did, but I didn't think too much of it. Now it's restarting every three days or so. Ugh. Don't know what to do.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

No restart, but it did just randomly freak out during words with friends and the screen started spazzing out but fixed itself after hitting out of the app, so that might be an app issue
    That's happened to me with WWF a few times, but intermittently. I suspect it's an issue with the app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    That's happened to me with WWF a few times, but intermittently. I suspect it's an issue with the app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Yeah mine does it too now and it's not a huge issue. Big problem is that her second tablet is also restarting.

Have you tried booting the problem device into Safe Mode? This can help to narrow the problem down to a 3rd party app vs the system or hardware. Safe Mode disables all 3rd party apps that you may have installed. If you continue to get restarts, then it's probably an issue with the system or with the hardware. If the restarts stop, then it's probably some app that you installed. Instructions here: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

We ended up returning it and this one is having the same issue. I noticed that it restarted during the WiFi set up exactly like first one did, but I didn't think too much of it. Now it's restarting every three days or so. Ugh. Don't know what to do.
    Shoot for a 3rd, many have done it. I got lucky I guess, I got a decent one on my 2nd.

I've had the 2013-gen Nexus 7 now for maybe 9 months. I keep hoping "the next update" will fix this random crash/reboot problem. But it doesn't. What a pain in the neck. Is this really a rare issue, or is it common? Meaning, I should really try exchanging the hardware?!? The whole system is just very fragile. Some days I run a particular app, and that seems to crash, and bring down the whole tablet. Other days, like now, the tablet was just sitting on my desk, charging, doing nothing. Bam - Reboot. I probably don't even know how often it's doing this! Crazy!

I've never rooted this system. I turned off auto-updates: no difference. I did a complete reset months ago, and have been slow to add apps, since then. No difference. I *think* it's better if I avoid 5GHz WIFI, but that's probably just another shot in the dark. This is my first-ever Android device. Not leaving a good taste in my mouth!

Shoot for a 3rd, many have done it. I got lucky I guess, I got a decent one on my 2nd.
    Are you serious? MANY HAVE DONE IT?? This is NUTS! What a lemon!
    droiderf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Have you tried booting the problem device into Safe Mode? This can help to narrow the problem down to a 3rd party app vs the system or hardware. Safe Mode disables all 3rd party apps that you may have installed. If you continue to get restarts, then it's probably an issue with the system or with the hardware. If the restarts stop, then it's probably some app that you installed. Instructions here: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en
    This is a good troubleshooting step, but there is no reason a problematic app should routinely crash the entire system. I mean, what is this, 1992? Windows? DOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Caskey View Post
    This is a good troubleshooting step, but there is no reason a problematic app should routinely crash the entire system. I mean, what is this, 1992? Windows? DOS?
    I think it's hard to avoid the occasional poorly coded app, or the unexpected interaction between two apps--it's a huge, relatively unregulated ecosystem out there. Besides, Windows 8 can still crash due to 3rd party software.

I've had the 2013-gen Nexus 7 now for maybe 9 months. I keep hoping "the next update" will fix this random crash/reboot problem. But it doesn't. What a pain in the neck. Is this really a rare issue, or is it common? Meaning, I should really try exchanging the hardware?!? The whole system is just very fragile. Some days I run a particular app, and that seems to crash, and bring down the whole tablet. Other days, like now, the tablet was just sitting on my desk, charging, doing nothing. Bam - Reboot. I probably don't even know how often it's doing this! Crazy!

I've never rooted this system. I turned off auto-updates: no difference. I did a complete reset months ago, and have been slow to add apps, since then. No difference. I *think* it's better if I avoid 5GHz WIFI, but that's probably just another shot in the dark. This is my first-ever Android device. Not leaving a good taste in my mouth!

Are you serious? MANY HAVE DONE IT?? This is NUTS! What a lemon!
    I would say that the majority of n7's do NOT do this. Mine has only rebooted once in probably 1000 hours of up time however there are a lot of people on several different forums who have went through several n7's before getting a good one. I have even heard a few horror stories of going through 10 or more returns before getting that elusive working one. This is not the norm though. (At least I hope not)
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I think it's hard to avoid the occasional poorly coded app, or the unexpected interaction between two apps--it's a huge, relatively unregulated ecosystem out there. Besides, Windows 8 can still crash due to 3rd party software.
    That's why I don't run Windows. Android is Linux, and Linux does not crash like this. Apps should be isolated from each other, and from the core system. A poorly written app could crash all day, on a normal Linux box, and the system itself would keep running for months. Sorry, but my expectations are a little higher. Trying not to mention the "A" brand which also has phones and tablets where I've never had, nor heard of, this issue. This is really embarrassing for Google. They should be proactively contacting me, offering free lemon replacement.

That's why I don't run Windows. Android is Linux, and Linux does not crash like this. Apps should be isolated from each other, and from the core system. A poorly written app could crash all day, on a normal Linux box, and the system itself would keep running for months. Sorry, but my expectations are a little higher. Trying not to mention the "A" brand which also has phones and tablets where I've never had, nor heard of, this issue. This is really embarrassing for Google. They should be proactively contacting me, offering free lemon replacement.
    Its unfortunate as others have already stated that this does happen. Without actually sitting there and running log cat reports on the device and getting a better picture of what is going on its a hard call. As said there is I'm sure a fair share of apps that are improperly coded or just don't run nice along side others. We can blame Google or Android for fragmentation and its open platform to any and all developers but then we wouldn't be where we are today either if it was closed source and locked down like other platforms. They have had their share of issues too, its just not as highlighted like Android because everyone right away drops the " open source or fragmentation " line as a reason for problems.

Not sure why the Nexus 7 has had the issues it does, ASUS isn't a slouch by any means and does make a great tablet. Its had its share of issues but they responded with a better version the second time around in the Nexus 2013.

Again without log cats ran, a well knowledgeable developer reviewing them its hard to determine is this fault of hardware or software and some bad luck mixed in...
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast