Is it me or is the Nexus 7 missing a camera flash?

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is it me or is the Nexus7 missing flash?

Hmm.. Look at the back of the device. Do you see a flash anywhere on there? Flash settings don't exist because there is no flash. Oh, and the front facing camera isn't 5mp, it's 1.2

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Hmm.. Look at the back of the device. Do you see a flash anywhere on there? Flash settings don't exist because there is no flash. Oh, and the front facing camera isn't 5mp, it's 1.2

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Right. Rear-facing. Either way, I guess you are saying the answer is yes then.

How impractical. Is that typical of all tablets?

Sent from my "no longer 120? or battery guzzling" Sprint Galaxy Nexus, thanks to help from the AC forum

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Right. Rear-facing. Either way, I guess you are saying the answer is yes then.

How impractical. Is that typical of all tablets?

Sent from my "no longer 120? or battery guzzling" Sprint Galaxy Nexus, thanks to help from the AC forum
They had to keep the cost of the device down and camera isn't a concentrated feature on tablets because you tend to look like a dork using it to take photos. Not even the iPad Air by the mighty Apple have it. I do know the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 have LED flash.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

If you use a tablet to take photos, you need to rearrange your life. Anyways the cameras on every tablet are horrible. Flash or no flash, it's still useless. Just there for a Skype call.

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

If you use a tablet to take photos, you need to rearrange your life. Anyways the cameras on every tablet are horrible. Flash or no flash, it's still useless. Just there for a Skype call.

Who would use a rear-facing camera for a Skype call? Difference between a camera anyway and a web cam. I can use my laptop to Skype but Lenovo didn't go, and you can take pictures too. My only point is, if you are going to add a camera, then add a camera. Don't add a feature, claim its a great addition, then say well we don't want you to use it so we won't make it usable. Just leave it off and a camera with no flash is just that.

For the record, I own a wonderful digital SLR, plus a digital Point and Shoot, all of which I use for more important photos. But just like my phone has a camera that I use when I just need a photo and my other cameras aren't nearby I assumed I could do the same with the tablet if need be. After all a 5 MP camera is installed.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

SORRY FOR THIS RANT EVERYONE.......but im tired of this nonsensical drivel.

Wow another anti-camera nazi. Do you also tell others what food to eat.....clothes to wear.....music to listen to.....cars to drive.....etc etc etc.

We do not all have high end cell phones (and you might not even know that some of us do not even have smart phones), or even great regular digital cameras.

I have found the rear facing camera on my N7 to be incredibly useful and do use it for many reasons. Do I use it to take high resolution photography....or course not. But there are many highly useful ways to use the 5mp cam for vids and quick pics to send out with little waste of time plugging in to a PC then moving and attaching files...then finally using the image. Oh wait....it even takes longer when my crappy digital camera batteries are drained.............you get the point.

Please dont be close minded and tell others what they should be doing with their electronic devices because it does not suit your emotional or intellectual barriers.

Also.....using a small tablet like the N7 to take pictures is not any diff than taking them with a large smart phone or even much larger SLR with any big lens.

rant off..................

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Wow another anti-camera nazi. Do you also tell others what food to eat.....clothes to wear.....music to listen to.....cars to drive.....etc etc etc.

We do not all have high end cell phones (and you might not even know that some of us do not even have smart phones), or even great regular digital cameras.

I have found the rear facing camera on my N7 to be incredibly useful and do use it for many reasons. Do I use it to take high resolution photography....or course not. But there are many highly useful ways to use the 5mp cam for vids and quick pics to send out with little waste of time plugging in to a PC then moving and attaching files...then finally using the image. Oh wait....it even takes longer when my crappy digital camera batteries are drained.............you get the point.

Please dont be close minded and tell others what they should be doing with their electronic devices because it does not suit your emotional or intellectual barriers.

Also.....using a small tablet like the N7 to take pictures is not any diff than taking them with a large smart phone or even much larger SLR with any big lens.

I don't have a smartphone or a dedicated digital camera., just 2 tablets, a pc amd 2 pmp's.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

Seems like someone is mad because i said something that offended you to the max.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Seems like someone is mad because i said something that offended you to the max.

Rich215 is 100% right. If you demean people like that with your replys then they will be "scared" to even post anything in this forum and that kinda defeats the whole purpose we are ALL here! Not to mention it gives the whole forum a pretty crappy feeling.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

What also needs to be pointed out is everyone is in different situations. One may be on these forums because they do not have a smartphone for whatever reason, but they have the tablet.
'The best camera is the one you have one you.' - Phil Nickinson.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site

Children, children, children. Let's all settle down please.

Allow me this opportunity to state my opinion on this thread's topics.

First and foremost, I do not use my Nexus 7 as a point-and-shoot camera. And while I personally don't use my tablet as a point-and-shoot, it does not mean that it is not an acceptable form of photo taking. To each their own and no one in this thread (or anyone else) has the right to insult someone for not agreeing with their view. Two people at my wedding were taking photos at our outdoor ceremony using their iPads. And while I personally think it looks funny and awkward, those guests provided me with some great candid shots that I was very thankful for. And as others have pointed out, not everyone that uses a tablet also carries a smartphone with a good camera on it. So why would they just skip out on a photo op just because someone with a bit of ignorance in their blood doesn't agree with how their "life is arranged"?

Original poster, the fact that you are shocked by the lack of the flash on your Nexus 7 is your own fault. As a consumer, it is your responsibility to make sure that the device you are purchasing meets your needs. Neither Google nor Asus nor any of the carrier partners that sell it hid the fact that there was no flash. It is not advertised anywhere. Had it been hinted at or directly promised, then your argument would be valid. But it just simply isn't.

I personally feel that the cameras on tablets (such as the Nexus 7) are specific use cameras. For example, Google Hangouts where I can use the front camera to have face-to-face conversations with someone and then swap to the rear camera if I want to share something that I am seeing/experiencing with them. Same applies to any video chat application. Also, it is great if I need to snap a quick photo of something in front of me that is more for reminder purposes or quick documentation. For example, let's say I am at work and write down a ton of notes on my notepad during a meeting. I then want to review those notes when I get home but don't feel like taking home more than I need. So I snap a quick picture of my notes for easy review later. It also then acts as a backup. And then there are the "can't miss this photo op" moments where you may be using your tablet and want to snap a quick picture of something before it's too late. Based on the type of advertisements you see for products like the Nexus 7, it's pretty obvious that the manufacturers/carriers share the same views regarding the camera's purposes.

So to summarize....

Original poster, your disgust by the lack of the device's flash is solely due to you not doing proper product research before investing in it.

The person that said that tablet camera users need to "rearrange their life", you need to heed your own advice and realize that your viewpoint isn't the only one that exists. Ignorance is not always bliss.

The use of the camera on a tablet varies from person to person. There is no wrong way to use it with the exception of using it in places/scenarios where using ANY camera is wrong. Yes, many people around you will think it looks stupid and awkward so you may have to put up with that. But if you're willing to, don't let anyone stop you from breaking out that tablet and taking some selfies.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. I suggest that the participants of this thread avail themselves of the opportunity to review the forum rules. You are expected to abide by them.

Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. If you don't care for a post or the thread, just move on. From this point on, posts that violate the forum rules will be deleted, and may result in the issuance of an infraction.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Ok...first off I am not at all angry or mad at anyone specifically, (just mildly irritated enough to comment on it pointedly). That is why I stated " SORRY FOR THIS RANT" , maybe i should not of capitalized that. I apologize for the use of the "other N word" if anyone is offended by that.

I just get tired of so many people all over various internet forums, sites, reviews, and such.... who regurgitate the mantra that you should not be using a tablet to take pictures. I do not believe you need to tell others what they should or should not be doing like this unless they are directly creating problems.....like blocking someones view or taking pictures where and when it is not appropriate. That is a diff scenario and quite obvious. Saying you should not use them because you look "xxx" or they are not good enough to take pictures with.....is just plain propaganda of various intent.

That said, I have actually taken some pretty decent pictures and have made some very clear videos inside and out for work and play. Because I can get a pic or vid very quickly with the N7 and then edit if needed....then send an email or text......I find the rear cam on my N7 to be highly useful in comparison to my battery eating are never ready stand alone digi cam and or my 8mp dumb phone camera... quite often.

So I encourage all those out there using their 2013 N7 to take what ever pics or vids to let others know your experience. Also I like hearing about camera apps that work for the N7 to broaden and make using the cam better, like Snap Camera for instance. I no longer use the stock camera software now because of that app. Also just for fun, I side side-loaded LatestMotionShot1.1.5 and just messing around with it. (that is a stop motion time laps app). So by using other apps not from Google....it shows just how powerful software is and just how much more potential this and other devices actually have with good software. This also shows just how far ahead hardware can be at times compared to software, or visa versa.

That said......I would love to have the N7 2103 with a high end camera setup. Id pay more for that. Odd that no manufacture has done that on these smaller tablets. I think we will see this in the near future by someone other than Apple.

Last edited:

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. I'm not going to ask again. Off-topic post deleted.

If you believe a post is inappropriate, then feel free to report it. Responding in kind is inappropriate and means that you are now a part of the problem. If the participants cannot abide by the forum rules, then this thread will be closed.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Just go ahead and close it. Sorry I bothered to ask a question about a Christmas gift.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Just go ahead and close it. Sorry I bothered to ask a question about a Christmas gift.

It is a legitimate question. Now that I think about it, I don't think my tablet has a flash. I will have to check.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a tablet that has a flash. My Asus TF300 doesn't, and my old Acer A100 and A500 didn't either.

Posted via Android Central App

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

My wife and I took a road trip through South Dakota, Wyoming, & Montana last summer and I was really surprised by the number of people I saw taking pics/video with large tablets - there were quite a few. The oddest thing I saw was a guy taking a video of buffalo using an iPhone held up to an eyepiece on a pair of binoculars he was holding, the oddest aspect being the narration he was also providing.

One of our pets passed away recently and afterwards I came across a video I made of him as a test of the camera on my TF700T tablet. Only time I've ever used it and now I'm glad I tried it out like that. I tried the N7 camera and was found that in anything less than ideal lighting the end result is not too good.