Google Nexus 7 (2013) battery life sucks

Sassi666

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I got my nexus 7 2013 on Christmas day :D. The battery life was great to start with but today it was at 58% and I watched a 2 hour movie and it went down to 10%, this is a much larger drain than the 9 hours of HD movie watching they advertise it at :( I watched a couple of tv shows on it the day after I got it with much less drain so not sure why this was such a big drop. I never seem to have a lot of luck on my devices getting anywhere near the advertised battery length so I don't know if it's just that they exaggerate on the advertising or if I'm just unlucky with my devices and batteries.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
In my experience battery life is entirely dependent on screen brightness. Turn brightness way down when watching a movie in a dark room and watch battery life become quite good.

Those published battery life specs are always done at minimum brightness.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
In my experience battery life is entirely dependent on screen brightness. Turn brightness way down when watching a movie in a dark room and watch battery life become quite good.

Those published battery life specs are always done at minimum brightness.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I'd imagine this is even more true with tablets than phones seeing as the size is a lot larger

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

mikeplus1

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I clicked multiple times on build number to get it. Did not count how many though

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7
Click the "Build Number" under "About Tablet" in "Setting" exactly seven (7) times to get the "Developer Options" to appear. It will say "Congratulations, you are a developer" or something like that when it has been clicked or tapped the correct number of times and it will say "No need, you are already a developer" or something similar if you have already completed this step.

mikeplus1

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Almost forgot, I was posting to say how great my battery life is on my 32gb Nexus 7 (2013) both before and after switching from Davlik to ART under the developer settings. :p

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine is much better today. Been off charger since 9. Been using it moderately and still at 92%. Guess it just needed a few overnight charges to learn its place.

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Also, I have noticed slightly better battery life when switching from Davlik to ART under the developer settings. Haven't found an app that this breaks yet. Fair warning, make sure you are fully charged and have a good 15 minutes of time because every app will get optimized after you switch.

Some games don't run well on ART. For example Frontiers doesn't ever load and GTA San Andreas has horrible clipping with white bars appearing everywhere. If you use your tablet for games I advise against ART.

Back on topic, OP is probably just using his tablet a lot since he just got it. I'm actually quite impressed with the battery, I can get a couple days with moderate use. The only thing that drains my battery is gaming, but that should be expected for any tablet or phone. I'm sure movies would drain you as well, I would recommend a $35 chromecast to save battery while watching videos.

Posted via Android Central App

Sassi666

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Some games don't run well on ART. For example Frontiers doesn't ever load and GTA San Andreas has horrible clipping with white bars appearing everywhere. If you use your tablet for games I advise against ART.

Back on topic, OP is probably just using his tablet a lot since he just got it. I'm actually quite impressed with the battery, I can get a couple days with moderate use. The only thing that drains my battery is gaming, but that should be expected for any tablet or phone. I'm sure movies would drain you as well, I would recommend a $35 chromecast to save battery while watching videos.

Unfortunately chromecast is not available in Australia.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
8u9u2ube.jpg
e9e9aty5.jpg

I don't know what you mean about battery life..mine has been great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Yes you're correct my battery life has gotten better. And I have had chromecast for a while now, thank you