Google Nexus 7 (2013) battery life sucks

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if I am the only one but I pulled it off the charger at 8am and I am down to 72 percent.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
A little more background history on the device and its setup would help. Battery stat screenshots, etc..

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I am stock, only had it 3 days. Display is at half. Don't know how to screen shot on it

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Guess the app will not let me add photos. Seems that screen is the killer

Naw, something else must be dragging your battery down. I get great battery life from mine. Right now I'm at 12 hours use, with 2.5 hours of screen on-time, and 64% battery remaining.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Also, I have noticed slightly better battery life when switching from Davlik to ART under the developer settings. Haven't found an app that this breaks yet. Fair warning, make sure you are fully charged and have a good 15 minutes of time because every app will get optimized after you switch.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
How did you get the developers options? Before it updated I clicked the version number and got the jelly bean but the jelly ban didn't animate and developers options didn't appear in the menu. Now that it updated, though, I can't click the version number at all. What gives?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
N7's battery life should be pretty great. So there must me something very wrong...

Posted via Android Central App

The screen is using the most. Turned down the brightness a bit. Been off the charger since 8 and only down to 95%. I think because it is new to me I was nonstop on it is why.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
How did you get the developers options? Before it updated I clicked the version number and got the jelly bean but the jelly ban didn't animate and developers options didn't appear in the menu. Now that it updated, though, I can't click the version number at all. What gives?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I clicked multiple times on build number to get it. Did not count how many though

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Also, I have noticed slightly better battery life when switching from Davlik to ART under the developer settings. Haven't found an app that this breaks yet. Fair warning, make sure you are fully charged and have a good 15 minutes of time because every app will get optimized after you switch.

Wow thanks for this. I have noticed this tip has made my apps open faster.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
And I should note o am comparing to my droid RAZR maxx HD which I get days out of one charge.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I've also found ART to be an improvement overall. For a list of app compatibility:

List of broken apps in Android RunTime (ART)

edit: should note that this list appears to cover all ART-capable devices, not just the N7 and may not be completely correct for the N7, e.g., Dropsync says Not Working but it does work under ART on my N7.

Last edited:

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I've also found ART to be an improvement overall. For a list of app compatibility:

List of broken apps in Android RunTime (ART)

edit: should note that this list appears to cover all ART-capable devices, not just the N7 and may not be completely correct for the N7, e.g., Dropsync says Not Working but it does work under ART on my N7.

Interesting that the list indicates Slingplayer to work under ART, but it doesn't. I sure wish it did. I've written to Slingbox asking about this and they acknowledged their app doesn't work under ART, and indicated that they are "looking into it".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22