Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  • 1 Post By mfm77
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

Default Looking to learn more about Android - get a Nexus 7?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice here. In full disclosure, I'm an Apple person (go easy on me, lol) who would like t learn more about the Android OS and Android products. I was thinking it might be a good idea to get an Android tablet to help me with my research/learning about Android. To that extent, I am considering the purchase of a 16 gb Nexus 7 (the 2nd generation) - does that sound like a logical step? Or can people recommend something better?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: Looking to learn more about Android - get a Nexus 7?

Quote Originally Posted by mfm77 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice here. In full disclosure, I'm an Apple person (go easy on me, lol) who would like t learn more about the Android OS and Android products. I was thinking it might be a good idea to get an Android tablet to help me with my research/learning about Android. To that extent, I am considering the purchase of a 16 gb Nexus 7 (the 2nd generation) - does that sound like a logical step? Or can people recommend something better?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Yes, absolutely... its the right step if you want to learn about Android. N7 is inexpensive and powerful
    Last edited by still1; 12-30-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    B. Diddy likes this.

Welcome to Android Central! By all means, the N7 is a great choice. It's pure Android, without a lot of extras thrown in by the manufacturer, so if you want to learn the nuts and bolts of how the OS works and how to develop for it, that's the way to go.

The first thing you will learn from this device is the incredible value it gives you for $230. Android is made for everyone not just the wealthiest.

Posted via Android Central App

The Nexus 7 is a great device. Pure Android experience. Fast and powerful. If you haven't already purchased it you may want to think about the 32gb for only a little more. Either way (16gb or 32gb) it's a great device. Good choice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I was in exactly the same situation as you and I bought an N7 for the same reason you did. I love it and highly recommend it.

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

Wow, thanks to everyone for your advice. Part of my research comes in the fact that I'm a HS English teacher looking to add more technology experience to my tool belt, thus making me more marketable if/when the time comes to move on to a new position. Our school uses Windows 8 and Office 365 (I'm not in love with either), and while I use my own iPad and Apple TV in my classroom, I've become aware that Google is making a push to get into education. I figure if I can learn more about Android, I'd at least stand out in a crowded field. Plus, I'm just really curious about it! I've seen a couple of good deals on N7 tablets on eBay and likely will snag one there.

Good luck. Be patient, post questions when you have them and I think you'll like the android OS. The nexus line is the right place to start

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador

Go for it, please! We wouldn't steer you wrong

I did the same and got the N7 couple weeks ago. Office Depot had it on sale. I have an iPhone and iPad. I've had Android in the past. Nexus one and S3. I couldn't take being with out for nearly two years. Work is supposed to upgrade us to the Note2 as well.

You'll find doing things can be actually simpler than iOS. Might just be less "elegant" than iOS. Being able to share and open documents easily in Android is a huge plus for me as I deal with a lot of PDF viewing almost daily.

Good luck.

Less "elegant", probably, but you can always change that. I tell ya, my Nexus 7 is probably one of my favorite electronic purchase (thank you mom) lol. If you get it, come back and tell us what you think!!

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

I ordered a new 32 GB Nexus 7 via eBay for $235 plus free shipping and received it today. Not a bad deal! I just opened the box and am starting to play around with it. Expect some questions! :-)
    B. Diddy likes this.