Nexus 7 and ethernet connection

emotionology

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
In places where there's no wi fi, wired internet connection is sometimes available. But reading around it seems there's a bug in the/my Nexus 7 (2013) - Android updated to 4.4.2 - that prevents an ethernet connector from working.

Is this correct? Has there been any response from Google about it - a firmware fix? I'm not really up to doing my own patching.

Ideas welcome!

emotionology

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Indeed Pat, but it's also possible (normally) to purchase a plug-in internet cable to be used when there's no wifi available (eg some hotels). Those who have tried this with the latest Nexus 7 have found it produces an error message which Google have yet to fix - or don't want to. Steve

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I cant imaging using wired cable for any of my devices. My laptop don't even have an ethernet port.

looks like its was a bug on 4.3.. maybe it is fixed on 4.4(or not) I assume it would be fixed on next version.

this issue don't exist on nexus 7 2012 though

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this helps, but I've used it at work to get internet to my Nexus through a USB cable attached to my computer.

[Tool][Windows Only][Root] Android Reverse Tethering 3.18 - xda-developers

I am rooted.

However, I realize your needs may be different.

Of course, if you had no other computer with Internet access available and only had the hotel cord/cable, I am guessng you could do it, but would need some kind of adapter.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I own the BobjGear Ethernet adapter in the link above. It does work with my 2012 N7 but not with my 2013 N7, both running 4.4.2, using an OTG cable. My guess is that the 2013 version is not supplying enough power to the adapter. I can connect a 1TB WD hard drive to my 2012 N7 via OTG and it works but not on my 2013 N7 unless I provide an additional power source for the HDD. The 2013 N7 provides less power to the microUSB than the 2013.

Why use one? I've traveled to places that had only wired connections though I see that rarely now.

emotionology

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for these responses.

My problem arose when I realized that both hotels I recently booked into Japan offered only old-style internet access (yes, even in hi tech Japan).. Next time I'll try different hotels or, who knows, maybe Google will have delivered a fix or addition (but I'm not putting any money on it).

Martin Computerfan

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I?ve got the same Problem. So please let me know if you have an solution.
On the Switch I Can see that theres an link up but thats all there is nothing else working.
I wont like to root my Nexus 7

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87