1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default can not download maps after android 4.4.2 update, the microphone icon has disapeared and tablet has

New instructions to download maps require you to say "ok maps" after you select the area you want to download but the microphone icon has disapeared after the latest android update to 4.4.2.
    The little microphone appears for half a second on chome when first started then it disapears, it is not present on the keyboard either.
    What is going on?

Default Re: can not download maps after android 4.4.2 update, the microphone icon has disapeared and tablet

settings/language and input - tap the little settings icon for your default keyboard (looks like an EQ) and make sure voice input key is checked off.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: can not download maps after android 4.4.2 update, the microphone icon has disapeared and tablet

thanks a lot for your response but, unfortunatly, it does not work since there is no "voice input key", it does not exist in any of the different possibilities of "language and input".
    On the EQ tap a large menu appears but no voice input anywhere.
    Thanks anyway
    Gaston

Quote Originally Posted by gasmag View Post
    New instructions to download maps require you to say "ok maps" after you select the area you want to download but the microphone icon has disapeared after the latest android update to 4.4.2.
    The little microphone appears for half a second on chome when first started then it disapears, it is not present on the keyboard either.
    What is going on?
    Once you tap the magnifying glass in the search bar (at top of maps) you are presented with the option to tap the mic (on the right) and say OK maps to download map. You can also type OK maps into the search and get the same results (IMO it works better).

Hope this helps

Sent from my Nexus 7
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks Franko515, all worked as you said but then the "Unfortunately, maps has stopped" message appears after I tap the mic icon.
    Obviously I have a bad copy of 4.4.2, shall I try and re load it?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated, I am visiting Barcelona and wifi is hard to come by on the street, so I need to download the map.
    thanks for your help
    gaston

I opened Maps tapped on the search bar, scrolled to the bottom, and was presented with the option to save the map for offline use. If it doesn't appear for you, try clearing the cache or maybe uninstalling & reinstalling maps.

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks Scrounger
    Yes, that is exactly how I used to do it too but, after upgrading to the latest Android that changed, now you are suppposed to say "OK maps" and you then download the area you chose.
    I made the mistake to upgrade to Android 4.4.2 and the ability to talk to the tablet has disappeared
    gaston.
    gaston

You have to go to the keyboard and input settings and turn on voice for the google keyboard I think.

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gasmag View Post
    Thanks Scrounger
    Yes, that is exactly how I used to do it too but, after upgrading to the latest Android that changed, now you are suppposed to say "OK maps" and you then download the area you chose.
    I made the mistake to upgrade to Android 4.4.2 and the ability to talk to the tablet has disappeared
    gaston.
    gaston
    Even under 4.4.2 the option of scrolling down after tapping the search bar still works (I just did it on mine). Have you tried uninstalling Maps (updates only) and reinstalling? Have you tried clearing Maps data & cache?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I am at Barcelona tonight and flying back to NY tomorrow, I will try your advice then and report.
    thanks
    gaston
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

did not work.
    thanks