Terrible Sound Output N7 2013?

droidycat

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it's my device, but having just started using the headphone jack I realize that the sound level is a joke. I've been told I have superhuman hearing and even I have to turn it up 3 clicks below FULL volume in a dead silent room to be comfortable--and I can't imagine running hours of music at that level is good for it either. How in the world are guys listening to music in public? This seems to be a well documented problem, but I'm interested to know whether this is universal or specific to mine. Considering that this is primarily a media tool, that stands out as a BIG problem to me lol. My little single AAA powered mp3 player blows this N7 out of the water. Any ideas, or have I got a lemon?

update: I've noticed streaming is much better than downloaded content, so the source is a contributor. I'll have to continue testing along those lines, but so far both are surprisingly quiet. Mild hearing loss would render it useless...I have MX Player with s/w decoder on, so I can get that extra 50% boost, but that's going to destroy my battery life, no?

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This is really the first I've heard of this issue (they don't let me out much). I don't think using the 50% boost should affect your battery though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is not a problem on my N7. What format are the music files in question, and how are you obtaining them? Are they ripped from CDs, or downloaded from some other source? And have you been able to compare how the exact same music file sounds from your N7 and another player (like your MP3 player)? There's always the possibility that the music files were recorded at a low level.

Also, here's a basic question--when you insert the headphone plug, you're sure it's going in all the way, until you feel or hear the click, right? If it isn't in all the way, the sound levels can certainly be affected. Certain cases can make it difficult to insert a headphone plug all the way, if the plug itself has a wide hilt.

droidycat

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I was told this was an even bigger problem with the 2012 N7 and N5, especially. I did a factory reset and that helped considerably. Tested two floor models and same deal: 0-60% volume was almost inaudible on youtube and streaming content. Ripped CD's on lossless yields slightly better results. Thank god for mx player and its volume boost...

And have you been able to compare how the exact same music file sounds from your N7 and another player (like your MP3 player)? There's always the possibility that the music files were recorded at a low level. Also, here's a basic question--when you insert the headphone plug, you're sure it's going in all the way, until you feel or hear the click, right? If it isn't in all the way, the sound levels can certainly be affected. Certain cases can make it difficult to insert a headphone plug all the way, if the plug itself has a wide hilt.

Yes, same files and my single AAA mp3 player blows it away. Tested on two different in-ear headphones, both all the way in. Good thing I don't have my old Senn headphones; I'd need a separate amp lol. In the end, not a huge concern. I listen to opera almost exclusively, so I need dead silent surroundings anyway...

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Try YouTube and see how the volume is. On my Nexus 7 I cannot turn up the volume much beyond 40% on YouTube.

Note: don't like loud music and I am watching mostly videos with no music.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie