Adding gmail to email client

andy barton

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've have my Hotmail account set up in the email account and gmail set up in the separate gmail app. I want to combine the 2. I believe the only way to do this is in the default email app, but I can't get it to accept my gmail username/password.

I've tried everything so think it must be something basic I'm missing! I've now deleted my Hotmail account from the accounts section so the email client is blank and tried to add my gmail account onits own but no dice.

I open the email app and as I now don't have an account set up it goes straight into account set up.
I enter my username (gmail address) all in lower case (xxxx@gmail.com)
I enter my password
If I click next it states it doesn't recognise my username/password
I click manual set up
then click IMAP
the sever is auto set up as imap.gmail.com
I change the security type to SSL/TLS (accept all certificates)
The port is automatically set to 993

But it still states my username and password are wrong. It makes me think that my details are wrong but I've tripled checked them and it still won't work! Is it possible something to do with the detial alreaduy being in use on the gmail app? I've turned off gmail synch as suggested in the first step of this guide Combined inbox on an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Nexus 7 - Catch404

Thanks

eddiea

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've have my Hotmail account set up in the email account and gmail set up in the separate gmail app. I want to combine the 2. I believe the only way to do this is in the default email app, but I can't get it to accept my gmail username/password.

I've tried everything so think it must be something basic I'm missing! I've now deleted my Hotmail account from the accounts section so the email client is blank and tried to add my gmail account onits own but no dice.

I open the email app and as I now don't have an account set up it goes straight into account set up.
I enter my username (gmail address) all in lower case (xxxx@gmail.com)
I enter my password
If I click next it states it doesn't recognise my username/password
I click manual set up
then click IMAP
the sever is auto set up as imap.gmail.com
I change the security type to SSL/TLS (accept all certificates)
The port is automatically set to 993

But it still states my username and password are wrong. It makes me think that my details are wrong but I've tripled checked them and it still won't work! Is it possible something to do with the detial alreaduy being in use on the gmail app? I've turned off gmail synch as suggested in the first step of this guide Combined inbox on an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Nexus 7 - Catch404

Thanks

I just experimented and was able to set up my Gmail account using the stock email app on my Nexus 7 using the "Add Account" feature then selecting IMAP. I was also previously able to set it up on my Razr Maxx (stock JB 4.1.2) using the stock email app (I'm on Verizon and it was pre-installed). I did not choose the manual setup on either device and just let it configure itself automatically using the "next" button. There isn't any reason why you can't do it. Since it would not recognize your user name and/or password initially, you would not be able to proceed to the next step regardless of which other parameters you choose...it would fail every time. So, the only logical cause would be an incorrect user name or password but it seems you've tried multiple times. If you're certain the information you entered was correct, then I have no answer other than a suggestion to try a third-party email app (I use Enhanced Email for my non-Gmail accounts). Try again or install a third-party email app and let us know the result.