1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default possible to send & receive text & phone calls

I have the nexus WiFi only, used at home and in car for nav and audio. I use my s4 as a hotspot (verizon) for the nexus in the car and wanted to have my calls and texts sent to it as well using my existing cell number if possible
    Thanks

Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: possible to send & receive text & phone calls

Dunno about calls, but you can use the Verizon Messages app on your Nexus 7 (or any other Android device) to send and receive texts using your existing Verizon cell phone number. This works the same regardless whether your Nexus is connected to the Internet by tethering to your Verizon cell phone or by any other means.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Lots of apps available in the Play store to send and receive text messages to/from your tablet and smartphone. Mighty Text is one. Install it on both devices and you're good to go for Nexus 7 texting. Not sure about phone calls.
    Thanked by:

Does this actually just relay the sms through your phone?

I am able to send an sms to my N7s phone number and the message will be displayed on the screen, but there is no history ability to reply.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

Verizon Messages doesn't relay the SMS through the phone; it connects to Verizon's SMS server through the Internet, and the phone doesn't even have to be on. Dunno about other third-party apps.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Have a look at Tablet Talk. Sounds just what you need. I use the text facility, haven't tried the phone capability yet.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for replies, downloaded Verizon message app on my nexus
    Should I also switch from the stock message app to the Verizon one on my s4? If yes how do I disable stock one

Thanks again

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by pjoseph View Post
    Thanks for replies, downloaded Verizon message app on my nexus
    Should I also switch from the stock message app to the Verizon one on my s4? If yes how do I disable stock one
    It is your choice whether to use stock or Verizon Messages app on the S4. If you do decide to use Verizon Messages, there is no need to disable the stock app, but you can turn off its notifications so you only see the Verizon Messages ones.

Thanked by:

I use Mighty Text for texting and Groove IP for phone (must be on WiFi) on my N7 2012. Both work extremely well.
    Thanked by: