Why do I need Google Play Services?

Johnny Delgado1

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Google Play Services is one of THE dumbest program ever made. I have an Xperia Sony and few days ago something happens. The thing is I can´t open not even YouTube unless I have that stupid G P S. Well, then I try to download that stupid GPS and at installing, it tells insufficient store space . And listen I have an 8 G´s SD Card , and still even with That much space, the damn Google Play Services will not install. So bottom line, Google Play Services you sucks and you made me buy a new phone, I will ask a tech to disable you for something not SO STUPID AS GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES. WHY GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE TAKES CONTROL OVER THE OTHER APPLICATION, WHYYYYYYYYYYYY, DAMN YOU.

mkykadir

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Actually Google Play Services are not "must have" for Android. Android is an open source operating system and you can create your own Android based system which would not have Google Play Services(because you have to pay to Google) inside it. It should work very well without Google, because it is an operating system. We saw Nokia's Android device that doesn't have Google Play inside it. So Google Play Services, draines batteries and takes a lot of RAM(if we talking about 1GB ram devices with touchwiz...), people may think why I need it;

- Google Play services needed for Google apps like YouTube and Google Camera to work but you can connect YouTube, Google Maps or another services via a web-browser or other 3rd party apps. But you cannot use Google's Device Manager and Sync.
- You can use 3rd party application stores like Amazon to find and install apps.
- But some 3rd party apps also may need Google Play services to work. Like games, for storing game data to Play Games
- Google Play Services can patch security updates, for example you can get newer security updates even if you are using JellyBean - without a system update -
- Google Play Services allows network-based location, but you can use your phones inside GPS module for location services.
- Google Play Services shows Google Ads in applications, if you dont have google play services you will not have google advertisements.
- Google will not be able to collect "anonymous" datas from you without your knowledge.

So you do not need Google Play services or Play Store to work with an Android phone. You can still install apk's from web or 3rd party stores; you can still connect google services via a web browser, you can still use you gps, you can still call somone and text with them. Android is an open source operating system and people can think "why i need google play?", because google allows it. You must not use Google services in an Android device. Because Android is not a Google product, it is open source(not fully) product that is just licensed by Google.

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I came to this forum with the same problem -- in the last couple of weeks my battery has started draining really quickly. So, it seems that we have confirmed that Google Play Services IS an essential service. This is not at all obvious to many non-techies from its name -- please just assume that those of us who come here look for help don't know what is a core service and what isn't...there are a ton of things called Google blah blah on my phone that I don't use, and a few that I do use and love.

But it seems no one has a solution to the basic problem, which is that my phone is dead by 4 PM when it used to make it to midnight with a decent amount of battery left. Is this due to an update of Google Play Services? Can I revert to a previous version or something? Will Google fix the problem? Or do I need to go buy a big honking extended battery? Because a dead phone at 4 PM isn't working for me.

I may not be a veteran forum user... However, I do know a thing or two about this pesky service. I wasn't fortunate enough to have read any helpful information, and like many other forms of software and or hardware; I felt compelled to tinker myself.

Here is what I've found:
To call Google Play Service essential, is going a bit far. It is clearly dependent on A: Device, B: Android OS Version, and C: The User's Specific Phone's Use. (What they use it for.)

Before I ramble on about this topic. Let me just adress the primary issue that I feel like most folks (including op) have came here about.

Battery Life AKA: LowLife..
The amount of battery life that you're are losing to GPS is likely relevant to what all permissions it has.

IE: If you have "Auto Sync" enabled in your phones settings, GPS will try and sync periodically (More than less).
If under auto sync, you have google+, facebook, gmail, etc checked, then GPS (google play services) will attempt to sync these things, just about everytime you open the apps. Not to mention periodically when an app is left to collect dust for a period of time.

But wait! "Hope".. is on the horizon!..

Depending on your Android OS version, and also your mobile phone service provider, you can limit GPS (Google Play Services) so much, that it barely uses any battery, or memory.

Step 1: Determine what mobile service provider you have.
Many companies, who offer a nice smartphone for free when you enroll, tend to have pre-installed applications.
Many of which can be "hardcoded" into the phones original OS.
(Using the word "hardcoded" to describe apps that a company like MetroPCS©, installs on preloaded android phones).

Apps like; My Metro©, and Metro Browser©, etc.. These apps can often be disabled, but not removed.
If you would like to remove them, you will likely be required to root your mobile phone. Because, the "Setup" applications on these phones, have said apps embedded within them.

This is becoming a longer post than necessary. (Moving on)

So here are tips to keep GPS (Google Play Services) enabled, while not suffering from battery or memory drainage.

1. - Disable any mobile provider apps that you do not use.

2. - Turn auto sync off in settings.

(Or if you choose to leave it on, select the google choice, and uncheck anything you do not need synced.)
For example, Google Play Games, Gmail, Contacts, etc... Do the same for any of the available apps, under your auto sync tab.. These apps will all continue to function normally, if auto sync is disabled.
With the only differences being; that you will not receive a notification when you get an email, or a friend recommends a game. And so on...

3. Turn off location services.

This "significantly" reduces; Battery Drain, Data Usage, and of course.. "NSA Spying!" (Kidding.. Or am I?)

Once disabled,.. if you allow GPS (Google Play Services ) to remain on, you will not suffer from it gathering your location when browsing the web, or connecting to a WiFi hotspot, etc...

Instead.. if a webpage or application wants your location, it will ask your permission first.

(Speaking of WiFi.. If you tend to use hotspots, often... Disable your WiFi when you dont want to use it. Orherwise, you'll suck down battery life, just driving down the street... Especially if you use Xfinity© hotspots....
Once you've connected to one, your phone's WiFi, will connect ,at every intersection you pass. Of course it will then disconnect, once out of range. Which in turn makes your 4G data service, attempt to grab a fresh signal again.)
(This creates an endless loop, of battery usage. That is completely useless.) - It's like the domino effect..

Also; if you do not require any of these features, (provided your os/mobile phone model) allows it...
You can safely disable GPS. (However, If you are uncertain which GPS features you like having, or if something you use on your phone utilizes it. Then do not remove it.)

I do not want to be blamed when your Final Fantasy Record Keeper© game stops sending you notifications.
Or held responsible, for you missing Susie and Greg's, wedding invitation on Facebook©...

~Another option: If possible...
Install a security app, such as a firewall, or services controller app, that allows you to block apps, from starting in the background.

(If you do this, and block GPS. You will need to allow it in the event that you want to utilize it.) This method (in my experience) worked for me briefly. Until GPS started finding a backdoor to my ZL FW.. By making clones of itself... (Much like the dreaded fake "svchost.exe" service, that Windows© Update, kills your pc's CPU with)

Other ways to extend battery life..

1: If you are not using your phone for anything web based while at work, or while running daily errands and such.

You can simply disable mobile data, and wifi, until you need it. By simply going into your android settings.
"Just pull that switch."

Also... If you're going to be away from a charger for a long period, and you are aware that you wont receive incoming calls and or SMS's... You can turn on "Airplane Mode" in your mobile phone's settings... This will conserve a large amount of battery life.. Furthermore, (fun fact) when you're charging your phone, put it in "Aeroplane Mode" to charge it much faster than you're used to..
While "Aeroplane Mode" is off, and your phones wireless signal is active... Your phone's antenna, is constantly searching for a better signal...
Even if you see 5 bars... (Which; for the record.. Are simply inaccurate icons, designed to make consumers believe that their mobile provider, is better than the competition.)

2. Turn down your brightness!!!

If you use your phone for a few minutes at 30-40% brightness...
It will begin to seem just as bright, as it always has, while you've cranked it to that vibrant, and pretty, 100%, that you love so much...
(Even though you know, its bad for your eyes..)

It's understandable to turn it up in certain environments.
For instance; if you're out in sunlight, and it prevents you from seeing your screen clearly.. Turn it up!...

(To Eleven!!!..)... Just Kidding..
("Old people..Like me.." Will get it...)

But once you're in doors again, and do not require heavy brightness, turn it back to 30-40%.

Anyone with a "Backlight On/Off" feature.. Should "DEFINITELY" utilize it. If there's no need for it turned on....Turn it off...

3: This one is a common issue for many people, who are new to smartphone, technology...
Countless folks, have asked me to fix, their phone's, only to find out, that there is nothing wrong with said phone. Other than the fact, that they are totally out of ram, because they didn't shut down any of their applications, after they used them.

How to tell if you suffer from the same mistake...

(If the following applies to your phone.. you're likely, failing to shut down apps, correctly.)

If you see a bunch of small icons across your top bar, you are failing to disable applications, and or notifications.

If left unchecked, this "WILL" eat your battery, alive...

If you're unsure how to end them... Try finding a task manager app.

Or,.. (In most cases, by default..)
Holding your home button down, will commonly display all running apps. Simply, slide the apps to the left in order to disable them..
(Home Button Method Is Common, On Older Phones)

Newer phones however, are beginning to offer a button that looks like two boxes offset from one another.
(Similar to; the "restore size button", in most web browsers...)

Pressing said button, should display all the applications, that are currently running.
Like before;.. Simply sliding the apps to the left, with your thumb, should turn them off.

With no applications running in the background... Your mobile phone, will have nothing sucking down the CPU, GPU, Memory, Data, or Battery...

(Save from, the homescreen, and any, mandatory files, that your phone may require.)

These are just some of the more common methods to extending battery life.
After utilizing these methods, if you still want more battery life.. Try tinkering with different settings, a bit yourself, and see what you can come up with.
Don't be afraid to experiment with some;.. Battery saving/boosting, applications either...
Some are decent additions for some people, and to some people's phones...
(Some phones offer benefits, that others lack...Don't hesitate to explore your settings..)

Another interesting tidbit: I recently removed the Facebook© app from my phone... (Working toward removing Facebook© from my life completely..)

I still periodically check it... However, I do so, by accessing it, via, the mobile site. (From my Google Chrome browser.)
I have to say, that since I've been doing this, I've noticed a significant boost in my battery life...

To sum things up...

I just read this entire thread, while listening to music, and typing this entire reply... (With Google's Play Services running.)
My battery has, diminished from 64% to 49%, and its been a good two hours here...

I hope my post has touched more on the Op's primary question, as well as that of others who visit, or have visited this thread.

PS:...
The debate on whether or not Pauls post was rude, is irrelevant.

In Pauls defense: He clearly meant no disrespect, and was simply being facetious, while addressing the Op's question.

But in defense of the opposition:
I can see; how Pauls post, could come off as undermining, or pretentious.

So.. Rather than debate it between both sides.
Lets try to agree, to disagree.

We can all appreciate the fact that the thread is helpful, all around.
Instead of bickering. Or jumping the gun on accusations.
Let's just address each other with respect... If someones post appears rude... Tell them you feel that way, and ask if that was truly their intent.
The answer will likely be no..
Thus, preventing so many comments that take up server space...(Be it, "insignificant space" or not.)

I've been utilizing this forum for a long time, and it's been more than helpful.

Folks like Paul.. Are only here to help. If they seem otherwise rude, just let it go, and appreciate what knowledge we gain from one another.
This thread, has officially...
"Provoked" / "Enticed"(4LOABW).. me, to finally register on here.
(As opposed, to simply browsing.)
So clearly some good has come from this thread.

Thanks to all the members here, who take the time out of their lives, to help others.
You're all greatly appreciated.

-Gary.

(Hey Android!... Can we get a tab key, on these damn qwerty keyboards already?!) ......

Hquinn81

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you eharg; I completely agree with you. I noticed Google Play Services was using a lot of my RAM, and not knowing much about techie things I came to this forum to understand. We have all started at the beginning at some point.....

Posted via the Android Central App

Shon Ratul

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
If you uninstall Google play services then u can run every apps without having problems but you ((cant use the google play store anymore.))

anon(9633271)

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, new member (long time reader) here.
Being rooted and using an app named "Disable Application", i went ahead and froze Play Services.

i should mention that prior to doing that, i also froze pretty much all of the Google apps (i use the web based alternatives) except for the Play Store and Google Services Framework.

Everything worked fine, had way more free RAM and not only did battery life improve, the phone would even charge up faster.
i was still able to access the Play Store, purchase apps and use them without error.

So, it can be done safely and easily.

For me it was a win, win.
For those that rely on the many Google apps, freezing it away may not bring desired results.

anon(9633271)

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
For the record, these are the apps i froze.
Again, i'm rooted and using "Disable Application".

*(Public Service Announcement)*
If you're going to enter the realm of rooting and freezing, do yourself a favor and research what each app does before starting. This setup works for me, it may not for you. i assume no liability for what YOU DO to YOUR device.

Some of these apps probably have no dependancy on the Play Services app, but for what it's worth, heres the list.

Chrome
com.android.backupconfirm
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
com.android.sharedstoragebackup
Google Play Books
Google Play Magazines
Maps
Google+
Picasa Uploader
Google Backup Transport
Market Feedback Agent
Gmail
Google Play Services
Google Search
Google Play Music
Google Partner Setup
Street View
Google Bookmarks Sync
Calendar
Calendar Storage
Google Calendar Sync
Google Contacts Sync
Talk
Google Play Movies & TV
com.google.android.voicesearch
YouTube

Quite the list of stuff i never use, huh?
You should see the list once i add in carrier bloatware and unused system apps.
Maybe i'll throw it together and post it sometime.
It's quite the sight to see.

i kept the Play Store, Account Manager, Google Services Framework, the (non Gmail) email app and any other Google related apps not mentioned.

The only problem i ran in to was i no longer have the ability to sign into 3rd party websites using the OpenID style "sign in using your Google ID" button.

i also have sync and Google data backup turned off.
Having those enabled may cause errors, may do nothing.
i never bothered to check since i don't use them.

Another curious note to pass along.
Freezing Play Services and leaving YouTube unfrozen caused some massive, battery draining wakelocks.
Found that one out the hard way.

R-S

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like an employee of NSA/GCHQ/CIA or FBI! We are all totally sick of this snooping & advert pushing..............

snkeii

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
just noticed my apps were auto updating ... thought i had it turned off but no. got to looking at the main google stuff and realized that even though im super selective on what i install that google play services app is much worse that a lot of the apps i bypass because of invasive permissions.
a lot of people are after more battery life. now, while that is a complaint i do have as well. what im looking at is the privacy issues. video, audio, activity recognition? ya thats a new one for me ... its really no ones business what im doing with my time or my browsing history. hey, maybe its a sat night and wife wants to have a romantic evening (allows the app to use the camera/mic without your conformation) yah where is that file going to end up??

anyway, im really irritated with the way permissions are going downhill. can anyone recommend a good app that will allow me to block this nonsense without rooting for a little better peace of mind?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
just noticed my apps were auto updating ... thought i had it turned off but no. got to looking at the main google stuff and realized that even though im super selective on what i install that google play services app is much worse that a lot of the apps i bypass because of invasive permissions.
a lot of people are after more battery life. now, while that is a complaint i do have as well. what im looking at is the privacy issues. video, audio, activity recognition? ya thats a new one for me ... its really no ones business what im doing with my time or my browsing history. hey, maybe its a sat night and wife wants to have a romantic evening (allows the app to use the camera/mic without your conformation) yah where is that file going to end up??

anyway, im really irritated with the way permissions are going downhill. can anyone recommend a good app that will allow me to block this nonsense without rooting for a little better peace of mind?

I assume you're being sarcastic? Because otherwise you need to educate yourself on what those permissions actually mean.

snkeii

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
That's the thing - the descriptions are very generic and misleading. You need to dig into what the permissions actually do, they're almost all entirely innocuous.

that may be. however, if thats the case then they need to rewrite them so they dont cover such a broad spectrum.

but this really isnt the place for this. it really doesnt apply to the thread and it didnt answer my question. start a new thread and id be happy to kick it around with you.

brucewhain

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
It may not be the app(s) themselves - Here's another question: Why do you need four of them? - but every time they get updated they start running down the battery quick. What kind of people design these updates? (I mean I'm not going to ask what the updates are for, any more than asking what google play is for - all four iterations - I have not understood one answer, except the warning that certain things are programmed not to work without it.) We often wonder why Bush went into Iraq and destroyed our international reputation and good will by murdering a lot of people and sending their modern society back to the stone age indefinitely. The same applies to these pocket protector guys who have been designing mischievous google play updates for several years now: they gotta get their licks in too, I guess. It's a universal complaint about when google play updates, for several years running: It runs down the battery, fast, and provides no discernible utility, in my case. It's absurd, and I guess, pathological, like Bush.

TmacG

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
It may not be the app(s) themselves - Here's another question: Why do you need four of them? - but every time they get updated they start running down the battery quick. What kind of people design these updates? (I mean I'm not going to ask what the updates are for, any more than asking what google play is for - all four iterations - I have not understood one answer, except the warning that certain things are programmed not to work without it.) We often wonder why Bush went into Iraq and destroyed our international reputation and good will by murdering a lot of people and sending their modern society back to the stone age indefinitely. The same applies to these pocket protector guys who have been designing mischievous google play updates for several years now: they gotta get their licks in too, I guess. It's a universal complaint about when google play updates, for several years running: It runs down the battery, fast, and provides no discernible utility, in my case. It's absurd, and I guess, pathological, like Bush.

I have noticed a phenomenon unique to Android. All well intended , the ability to craft exactly what works for them. However, if one is merely looking at numbers, and they have no or little knowledge of the subject...
Why does my house have floor joists? That's an awful amount of weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(9633271)

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, new member (long time reader) here.
Being rooted and using an app named "Disable Application", i went ahead and froze Play Services.

i should mention that prior to doing that, i also froze pretty much all of the Google apps (i use the web based alternatives) except for the Play Store and Google Services Framework.

Everything worked fine, had way more free RAM and not only did battery life improve, the phone would even charge up faster.
i was still able to access the Play Store, purchase apps and use them without error.

So, it can be done safely and easily.

For me it was a win, win.
For those that rely on the many Google apps, freezing it away may not bring desired results.

Granted, this thread and it's post's are aging.
But, for the sake of future readers, the ability to freeze Google Play Services and still have a functioning Play Store seems to have died with Jelly Bean.

Striving for accuracy here, sorry to necro post.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
As for the question of why an Android phone at all - there are some fantastic apps that are not in the main stream. All of the Audubon Guides are sold as apps. Sibley's Birds is an app. There are at least 5 wildflower identification apps which are also great. Some other apps for clouds and meteorology. I also have geology tours of Utah in PDF format. I've BOUGHT most of these and enjoy them. I'll buy any app that is useful to me regardless of price. (Some wait until app is on special for $.99)

If this is what you are interested in, a cell phone is great. I don't bother with the social, location or maps - If I need something like that, I know far enough in advance to use the computer and print it out, since I will not listen to or talk to AI. The same goes for monetary transactions. Until the CC I use puts out its own app, NFC is disabled. I prefer my IBM clicker to anything any digital maker can put out. Bluetooth is disabled. We have a Lexus and my other half has a flip phone (his choice)
Getting that hooked up was a pain. If I get in the car with Bluetooth on, the Lexus automatically wants to switch as I do have media on the external card. His car, his phone - mine gets turned off.

Where Google is in error is assuming that everyone is the kind of user they want. There are older, handicapped and other types of disabled that could use a more customized phone.

I also have MLB highlights on the phone, At Bat on a tablet and MLB on a Roku.

GalaxyUserUSA

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
No, I don't think I am reading too much into Paul's answer. It was rude to chastise a forum member for asking a valid question.
Plus, the OP's question wasn't answered, except for being told his phone was "vanilla", and maybe he shouldn't have a Google product.

I agree. Also GPS uses 1/4 GB of memory. I have galaxy 5 for less than two years and barely have any memory left. I'm tired of cleaning up the device.

Last edited:

trixxf

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
to share, i had an experience, actually just yesterday, well i have a phone that is too slow coz it's a cheap one and was bought not in a retail store, so yeah from the first day it's really slow.. then a day ago, i accidentally formatted the sd card which has 2 partitions, one is for the ext2 (i rooted my phone hoping it'd make it fast but it didnt until...) I forgot that I moved the google play services to the ext2 so it got deleted. Then I noticed that my phone went good not knowing it's because of the removal of google play services. I just knew it when i went to Apps in Settings and noticed that Google Play Services wasnt there. Now my phone is working a lot better than those times I had google services. So now I'm just installing apks downloaded from the web. now I'm also finding stuffs of what to do with it or what apps to install or what else i can do with a phone with no google play services.

just want to share.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1