Why do I need Google Play Services?

UberUser

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I have noticed this process running recently where I have never seen it before in the years I've had this phone.

I use Task Manager to see running apps.

I saw two instances of it running, and only recently my phone has been hanging. The battery is fairly new. The phone is not rooted, stock 4.0.3.

The only thing different about my phone is that I recently installed the callU app.

So I too would like to disable the service and be able to enable it if I see it is causing issues with other apps. I see that there is a disable/don't remove option with CleanMaster. Any recommended to use/not use this to disable Google Play Services?

I think this thread is still relevant.

Kurt Wickman

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Nexus devices are pretty bare as it is. Now if we were talking about any carrier branded Samsung device, that would be full of garbage that would be worth discussing what is truly needed or not.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Okay, new guy here, but I'd like to weigh in here. I have an android LG optimus which is severely lacking in storage space despite the 32 gigs of external memory installed. Trying to clean out some bs, and Google play services is using a whopping 2.7 gigs of memory!! WTF?? What is really going on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Okay, new guy here, but I'd like to weigh in here. I have an android LG optimus which is severely lacking in storage space despite the 32 gigs of external memory installed. Trying to clean out some bs, and Google play services is using a whopping 2.7 gigs of memory!! WTF?? What is really going on here.
Welcome to the forums. Is some of that data cached?

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
So now I'm just installing apks downloaded from the web. now I'm also finding stuffs of what to do with it or what apps to install or what else i can do with a phone with no google play services.

just want to share.

Installing apks from the web on a rooted phone is a huge security risk.
You can turn off all of the information that Google collects if you are worried about privacy.

Tin Borgman

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
That would be because many people like myself cannot afford and iPhone. I question why you assume everyone is rich enough to meet your satisfaction

Jim0000

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
My thanks to the opening post(er) for this thread and to the many respondents.
This thread has been most informative for me. I am a beginner to Android. I have three years experience with Linux Mint on my home desktop computers - this has provided me with some background in open source computing systems.
I will be reading much more here...........

Jim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair