Problem with Slimport display.

oxidax

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't working with the N4 I'd say it's a compatible issue with the Nexus 7. What issue that could be I'm not sure, but you might want to check around for people having similar issues and if there's a fix.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It's not a compatibility issue, it's probably just defective. Most of those things are cheap Chinese knock-offs. Did you happen to read the reviews on that one before you purchased it? When the negative reviews outweigh the positives, that should be a clue. Not only that, but the complaints even say that it's not working with the N7.

Genuine Slimport is made in the USA by Analogix. ($29)

Amazon.com: Analogix SlimPort HDMI (MyDP)

That one works fine on the Nexus 7 2013.

oxidax

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
They sent me another HDMI cable because they said that it needs an specific one but no luck. Im going to return it and get the one on your link. Thank you very much!

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It's a quality control problem. I have the same one and it works great. I do see there are a lot of bad reviews after mine, that if they had been there when I was looking, I would have kept looking. At the time, the ones called 'genuine' were very expensive.

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It's a quality control problem. I have the same one and it works great.
Yeah, quality control is practically nonexistent in China and HK. Some work, some don't. Its really a crapshoot. Still, the prices on some of that stuff are so low that it's often worth the gamble.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, quality control is practically nonexistent in China and HK. Some work, some don't. Its really a crapshoot. Still, the prices on some of that stuff are so low that it's often worth the gamble.

Yep. I buy lots of RC parts from China because they cost a fraction of the "good stuff" and work just about as well. A bad one once in a while is still cheaper.

Wayne92

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello there,
I got this adapter for my N7 2013: Amazon.com: Cable Matters Micro USB SlimPort (MyDP) to HDMI Male to Female Adapter with 6 Feet USB Charging Cable: Electronics
but i am having an issue with it. The issue is that it works for about 2 seconds and then it doesn't display video anymore. On my nexus 4 it works great but i dont have the same luck with the 7. Does anybody know if its a problem with the tablet or is anybody else having the same issue with this particular adapter?

I bought this one Amazon.com: VicTsing Slimport MyDP Micro USB to HDMI HDTV Adapter For Google Nexus 4 7 II 2nd LG optimus G pro Fujitsu Arrows Tab ASUS Padfone infinity: Electronics plus two six foot cables and a coupler. I used it for an hour and was satisfied. Today I used it again and I lost picture several times. I would unplug it and plug it back in and the picture would come back. I took one section of cable out and tried it again. Again the picture dropped out. I also plugged the power supply in (charger) with no help. I put the tablet down on the table and never lost the picture again. I don't know for sure but it seems to better when I'm not holding it.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I buy lots of RC parts from China because they cost a fraction of the "good stuff" and work just about as well. A bad one once in a while is still cheaper.

Why on earth did they make the N7 so it needs cables you can't buy in a US store like Best Buy or Target? They should have at least included an OTG cable. USB and HDMI are STANDARDS that Asus chose to ignore. That and bad QC on hardware caused me to question any Asus purchase.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
That kind of attitude as a consumer keeps jobs overseas, people poor, and uses the earth's resources in a careless manner. Good for you. Not to mention the pain in the a. of figuring out which one is bad or good without the tools or abilities of a manufacturer.

jolphil

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Before you rush out to purchase new cables, I would suggest you look into a good grade "Contacts cleaner"..
You can pick one up either online or even at a local Radio Shack store. My favorite is one called "Deoxit"
It is a bit expensive but so far is the best I have found..Follow all directions on any cleaner.
Goodluck

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
That kind of attitude as a consumer keeps jobs overseas, people poor, and uses the earth's resources in a careless manner. Good for you. Not to mention the pain in the a. of figuring out which one is bad or good without the tools or abilities of a manufacturer.

I buy what I can from US sources, but I'm not about to pay 3 or 4 times the price for things just to buy from US sources. Even then most of it is made in China, so it's impossible to avoid it.

shadey vid

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I have an Analogix sp1003
I was very disappointed with it, it didn't connect most of the time. My LG tv would display the No Signal screensaver. About one in five or six attempts it would work but sometimes with no sound.
I got a fine needle and just agitated each of the connection pins in the micro USB plug of the slimport. Then got a tiny strip of wet and dry paper 600 grit I think. Folded the wet and dry and pushed it into the plug a few times in an attempt to clean the contacts.
I also squeezed the plug a tiny bit with some long nose pliers just to make it a bit tighter on the nexus 7 connector.
It has worked great ever since.
Attempt at your own risk though.

Benjamin Schroeder

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I've looked for a description of my problem for so long from someone else. Thank you! I initially tried out my Slimport connector and it worked great. Then today, a month later, I try it and the TV won't detect my Nexus 7 anymore. I try all three inputs and a different HDMI cable and still no luck. Then I just decide to try one more time and I get audio through Google Music. Then a few minutes later I suddenly have video and audio and can see the homescreen on my TV. But audio only comes through with Google Music. Not Netflix, Chrome, Flixster, or YouTube. I figure it is an app issue. I tried to plug in my headphones to see if I could get audio that way. It didn't go too well, but then when I unplug headphones I suddenly have audio from ALL apps again. Not that I'm complaining, but you're saying it might simply have been a maintenance issue? Basically that the pins get dirty? I'm almost tempted to never unplug my slimport cable again now that everything is working good. What did you mean by "agitate the pins" btw?

bwood51420

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 5 and slimport didn't work on my 55" vizio TV. I even bought another slimport. And the tv still didn't get a signal. Then I tried my older 47" LG TV. And the slimport worked immediately! Im not sure if its just my vizio TV or is it the size of screen causing problems. Maybe there are limitations. Has anyone else noticed anything similar trying different TVs??

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Im not sure if its just my vizio TV or is it the size of screen causing problems.
Perhaps you need to try different HDMI cables - I noticed that when using my longer HDMI cable it wouldn't work, but when I tried a really short one it worked fine.

I doubt that the screen size has anything to do with it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908