Nexus 7: Kitkat and GPS

Gary300

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Got Kitkat on my Nexus 7 2013 a few weeks ago. Haven't tried my Sygic GPS program since then, and when I tried to use it today, it could not lock onto any satellites. Tried a couple of other GPS apps, but no go. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Kitkat and GPS

Got Kitkat on my Nexus 7 2013 a few weeks ago. Haven't tried my Sygic GPS program since then, and when I tried to use it today, it could not lock onto any satellites. Tried a couple of other GPS apps, but no go. Anyone else have this problem?
Many many people have had and continue to have this problem. I don't knowmif there is a fix or not, sorry. You can do a search on here and find a thread about it as it has been discussed extensively already I think.

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

This happened to me also when I first took the OTA upgrade to KitKat back at Thanksgiving. At that time I gave up and went back to 4.3. Several weeks latter I tried the OTA again and as before the GPS initially would not lock nor would it see many satellites. This time, however, I experimented a bit, and went into the app GPS Status and told it to reset the AGPS data (Settings/Tools/Manage A-GPS State/Reset). That process took a few minutes, but after that, the GPS worked fine just as it had in 4.3. So, give that a try.

Gary300

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the reply, bmoliver. I tried what you suggested, several times but still no satellites. Guess I will try to contact Sygic and see what they say.

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the reply, bmoliver. I tried what you suggested, several times but still no satellites. Guess I will try to contact Sygic and see what they say.

After the A-GPS reset, does the "GPS Status" app get a lock? What about Google Maps, etc.?

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I did a full factory reset and after reloading everything it seems to work fine now. Go figure.

Good to hear. Actually, doing a factory reset dumps all your apps, so when you tried the GPS for the first time, it was likely also doing an A-GPS reset as well.