Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    I've been using the Nexus 7 for a few months and loved it from day one. I recently gave it to my wife to replace her broken Ipad. I used the opportunity to check out the Note 8, because I'm a fan of Samsung products. I own a Note 3, Samsung Smart TV, and a Note 10.1. I'm also heavily invested in the Samsung Media Hub, with over $300 in movies purchased. So, I figure the Note 8 would be perfect. I was wrong.

    8 inches is NOT the sweet spot. My hands are considered large and yet, I struggled to hold it with one hand. You have to stretch and use your pinky finger to balance the device, and this would just strain my finger. The Nexus 7, I would be able to hold in one hand comfortably.

    The display. I could end my review on this point alone. The resolution is sub-par on every level. I shouldn't have been surprised..... Every review states the same thing, but I was. Again, Nexus wins hands down.

    Lo and behold..... Samsung Media Hub is not compatible with this device. After almost a year of being released...... ridiculous.

    After calling Samsung, I felt even more frustrated.... And I'm pretty sure this thing will never see 4.4.

    Case selection is a joke. The official book cover an even bigger joke.

    It's only been 5 days, I wanted to give it a full week. Back to Best Buy, it goes and for the price I paid, I can get the 32 gb Nexus 7 with LTE and 200mb free data a month with T-mobile.

    Your mileage may vary.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,793 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    I too am surprised that Media Hub is incompatible with the device. Wow!

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    "8 inches is NOT the sweet spot."

    Hmm..I was thinking it was, and I was thinking I'd get the next Samsung non-Note, Samsung 4 I think it is, or is it 5?, but I was looking at the 10's in the Costco yesterday and I may get that instead. The Samsung Note is very expensive and I don't see why I need the stylus feature, but it does have a gorgeous big screen. Samsung 4 (or 5) should be out soon. When is Nexus going to come out with a new larger tablet? Anyone heard anything?
  4. #4  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    I've owned 2 10-inch tablets, have borrowed an 8-inch tablet, and owned two 7-inch tablets (my tablets keep ending up getting gifted to my grandkids). For me, the 7-inch is definitely the sweet spot. I find the 10-inch to be cumbersome to use at times, and most important of all, the 7-inch fits in my coat pockets nicely. It's nice to be able to walk places with the tablet in your pocket rather than having to carry it all the time. I've found the 8-inch size to be a little too big to fit in my coat pockets.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    7 inches is definitely the sweet spot for me as well.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    8" is better imo, but I also love the 7" size, 10" forget it, my wife has a 10 inch tablet and it is more of a pita than anything else to use. I thingnis with the nexus is the poor quality control which really sucks. I agree, the screen is amazing compared to the samsungs....but only if you can get one with no lightbleed, speaker problems, touch screen issues, gps problems and it doesnt reboot itself every ten minutes. The samsungs are better built tablets, with less chance of defects I believe.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    Quote Originally Posted by AldousSnow View Post
    I've been using the Nexus 7 for a few months and loved it from day one. I recently gave it to my wife to replace her broken Ipad. I used the opportunity to check out the Note 8, because I'm a fan of Samsung products. I own a Note 3, Samsung Smart TV, and a Note 10.1. I'm also heavily invested in the Samsung Media Hub, with over $300 in movies purchased. So, I figure the Note 8 would be perfect. I was wrong.

    8 inches is NOT the sweet spot. My hands are considered large and yet, I struggled to hold it with one hand. You have to stretch and use your pinky finger to balance the device, and this would just strain my finger. The Nexus 7, I would be able to hold in one hand comfortably.

    The display. I could end my review on this point alone. The resolution is sub-par on every level. I shouldn't have been surprised..... Every review states the same thing, but I was. Again, Nexus wins hands down.

    Lo and behold..... Samsung Media Hub is not compatible with this device. After almost a year of being released...... ridiculous.

    After calling Samsung, I felt even more frustrated.... And I'm pretty sure this thing will never see 4.4.

    Case selection is a joke. The official book cover an even bigger joke.

    It's only been 5 days, I wanted to give it a full week. Back to Best Buy, it goes and for the price I paid, I can get the 32 gb Nexus 7 with LTE and 200mb free data a month with T-mobile.

    Your mileage may vary.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Problem with the note is it is like a half an inch wider than it should be because of the s pen holder. Tab 3 8.0 is much nicer/easier to hold and use.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    Yes, the 7's are nice because they fit in your pocket, but if you're reading or looking at a map or doing most things on it the screen is so small and requires constant messing with, zooming in and sideways and up and down. I might even be interested in a 12 if they come out with one, but I'd want to have a 7 too for portability.
  9. #9  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,793 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    Quote Originally Posted by George Stevens View Post
    Yes, the 7's are nice because they fit in your pocket, but if you're reading or looking at a map or doing most things on it the screen is so small and requires constant messing with, zooming in and sideways and up and down. I might even be interested in a 12 if they come out with one, but I'd want to have a 7 too for portability.
    Samsung announced 12" tabs at CES. Not sure when they are out.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Samsung announced 12" tabs at CES. Not sure when they are out.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Who needs a 12 inch tablet? I mean sure it's great if your only using it at home or work, but for on the go who wants to carry a laptop bag just for a less productive tablet?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  11. #11  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,793 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda7772 View Post
    Who needs a 12 inch tablet? I mean sure it's great if your only using it at home or work, but for on the go who wants to carry a laptop bag just for a less productive tablet?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Personally, not me. I dislike anything larger than 8", I was informing the user above me what was announced.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
  12. #12  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    Quote Originally Posted by George Stevens View Post
    Yes, the 7's are nice because they fit in your pocket, but if you're reading or looking at a map or doing most things on it the screen is so small and requires constant messing with, zooming in and sideways and up and down. I might even be interested in a 12 if they come out with one, but I'd want to have a 7 too for portability.
    I pretty much agree, which is why I have my N7 and an iPad air. But I haven't had any problems with the screen size or reading with the N7. In fact, I prefer using it, but that is a personal preference which will vary from person to person.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    Quote Originally Posted by brosko View Post
    8" is better imo, but I also love the 7" size, 10" forget it, my wife has a 10 inch tablet and it is more of a pita than anything else to use. I thingnis with the nexus is the poor quality control which really sucks. I agree, the screen is amazing compared to the samsungs....but only if you can get one with no lightbleed, speaker problems, touch screen issues, gps problems and it doesnt reboot itself every ten minutes. The samsungs are better built tablets, with less chance of defects I believe.
    I can partially agree with this statement. I've held the Note 8.0 and you are right it's too big. I don't get why some reviewers like the LG 8 Pad and the 8 inch screen versus the Nexus 7 2013 size. Same goes for the iPad mini. My hands are tiny but the grip on the nexus 7 2013 and holding it one hand actually feels natural. More than the slippery back of the note 8.0. I keep hearing bad things about nexus 5 with the camera, battery life, reboots, and other hardware problems. I remember hearing about early nexus 7 2013 problems too. But so far mine is fine. Sound quality is beautiful, GPS works fine, screen display is amazing and no touch problems and I love it. Only flaw is not being gorilla glass and no flash IMO.

    And yes, I can agree that samysung does put a little more quality, work, and control into samsung devices. However, the OS can sometimes be a bit slow and laggy and don't ever expect updates. My GSII suffered a stupid power button problem and I wasn't the only one. I'll admit too that I sought after the note 8.0 because despite the screen quality, plastic back, and the Touch wiz the stylus with touch wiz is amazing. But samsungs track record has been somewhat predictable with the updating process and completely forgetting about some. I'll admit though with Note 3 I've used one and it is a beast of a phone and a beauty. I think the 3GB of ram helps. Also, since I'm doing writing more and jotting down notes is more important I did think about the note 8.0 and the note 3 especially with best buy sales.

    But never owned a nexus device before and everything about the Nexus 7 (2013) attracted me. On the other hand samsung is doing exclusive things like the S pen, multi window, and they are amazing and really make a samsung product worth it. I have nothing against samsung and used to have a samsung phone but I just got tired of the boring touch wiz and the lack of updates and dropping support for older devices.

    However seeing CES it seems like samsung is going to change radically. Which is a good thing. I think they are coming out with a new note tablet too the pro series. Also, buying something like a Nexus 7 or Nexus 7 (2013) is still supported by google. You will still get updates and won't even have to upgrade to a new tablet every year. Unless you want to.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    Quote Originally Posted by mvsmith View Post
    I can partially agree with this statement. I've held the Note 8.0 and you are right it's too big. I don't get why some reviewers like the LG 8 Pad and the 8 inch screen versus the Nexus 7 2013 size. Same goes for the iPad mini. My hands are tiny but the grip on the nexus 7 2013 and holding it one hand actually feels natural. More than the slippery back of the note 8.0. I keep hearing bad things about nexus 5 with the camera, battery life, reboots, and other hardware problems. I remember hearing about early nexus 7 2013 problems too. But so far mine is fine. Sound quality is beautiful, GPS works fine, screen display is amazing and no touch problems and I love it. Only flaw is not being gorilla glass and no flash IMO.

    And yes, I can agree that samysung does put a little more quality, work, and control into samsung devices. However, the OS can sometimes be a bit slow and laggy and don't ever expect updates. My GSII suffered a stupid power button problem and I wasn't the only one. I'll admit too that I sought after the note 8.0 because despite the screen quality, plastic back, and the Touch wiz the stylus with touch wiz is amazing. But samsungs track record has been somewhat predictable with the updating process and completely forgetting about some. I'll admit though with Note 3 I've used one and it is a beast of a phone and a beauty. I think the 3GB of ram helps. Also, since I'm doing writing more and jotting down notes is more important I did think about the note 8.0 and the note 3 especially with best buy sales.

    But never owned a nexus device before and everything about the Nexus 7 (2013) attracted me. On the other hand samsung is doing exclusive things like the S pen, multi window, and they are amazing and really make a samsung product worth it. I have nothing against samsung and used to have a samsung phone but I just got tired of the boring touch wiz and the lack of updates and dropping support for older devices.

    However seeing CES it seems like samsung is going to change radically. Which is a good thing. I think they are coming out with a new note tablet too the pro series. Also, buying something like a Nexus 7 or Nexus 7 (2013) is still supported by google. You will still get updates and won't even have to upgrade to a new tablet every year. Unless you want to.
    Google supports their devices for 18 months I believe? Also the tab 3 8.0 is basically the same size as a n7. where the n7 has bezel the tab 3 is all screen(extremely portable for an 8" device). This is not for all however, it is almost impossible to use comfortably in landscape orientation without inadvertently hitting the buttons. I would Love a nexus 8 with a little less bezel and a little more quality control.
  15. #15  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    Quote Originally Posted by brosko View Post
    Google supports their devices for 18 months I believe? Also the tab 3 8.0 is basically the same size as a n7. where the n7 has bezel the tab 3 is all screen(extremely portable for an 8" device). This is not for all however, it is almost impossible to use comfortably in landscape orientation without inadvertently hitting the buttons. I would Love a nexus 8 with a little less bezel and a little more quality control.
    The Tab 3 8.0 doesn't come with LTE connectivity, does it?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Foolishly.....I switched to the Samsung Note 8 :(

    Not sure but I don't think so.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 06:17 AM
  2. Should I get the Galaxy S4 or the Galaxy S5?
    By boos1906 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 12:53 PM
  3. Nexus 7 vs Samsung Note 8
    By AldousSnow in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 11:01 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 09:49 AM

Posting Permissions