Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thunderbolt_nick
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7: Is it harmful to use the tablet while it is being charged?

it seems to be harmful, but someone on here doesn't think so . so i need expert opinions.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-15-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Default Re: is it harmful to use the tablet while it is being charged?

Quote Originally Posted by preppystud View Post
    it seems to be harmful, but someone on here doesn't think so . so i need expert opinions.
    I go by personal experience.

it seems to be harmful
    Explain.

I have always used my devices while they are charging, just not extensively.

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Use while charging: Is it okay to have your device on while charging it?
    Lead acid: It's okay to have device on when charging.
    Nickel-base: It's always best to turn the device off during a charge, since a parasitic load can either alter full-charge detection, overcharge the battery, and/or cause mini-cycles.
    Lithium Ion: It's always best to turn the device off during a charge, since a parasitic load can either alter full-charge detection, overcharge the battery, and/or cause mini-cycles.

I use it in my vehicle and I always have it plugged in. Likewise with my Samsung 4.2. I haven't seen any problem.
    Last edited by George Stevens; 01-16-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Default Re: Is it harmful to use the tablet while it is being charged?

I have a charger at my desk, one at each of my easy chairs, one in my car, and I'm always topping up and using while charging. I've done this for years with no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

My laptop computer is always plugged in too. Been doing this for years.

Use while charging: Is it okay to have your device on while charging it?
    Lead acid: It's okay to have device on when charging.
    Nickel-base: It's always best to turn the device off during a charge, since a parasitic load can either alter full-charge detection, overcharge the battery, and/or cause mini-cycles.
    Lithium Ion: It's always best to turn the device off during a charge, since a parasitic load can either alter full-charge detection, overcharge the battery, and/or cause mini-cycles.
    For li-ion that USED to be the case but they created protection circuits for just that reason. Here's a rundown by TI on how they use it but every phone/tablet uses it now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
    gdmin likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by George Stevens View Post
    My laptop computer is always plugged in too. Been doing this for years.
    yes. i have read it online, it is best just to plug it in while using the laptop. but asus tech told me that it is better not to use it while it is charging.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by George Stevens View Post
    I use it in my vehicle and I always have it plugged in. Likewise with my Samsung 4.2. I haven't seen any problem.
    yes. the problem might be when you have it unplugged, then you will notice that the battery won't last long.

yes. i have read it online, it is best just to plug it in while using the laptop. but asus tech told me that it is better not to use it while it is charging.
    ASUS just released some new charger stands for the N7 that are tilted to allow easy viewing while charging. I don't think they would do that if it really was harmful to use while charging!

Default Re: Nexus 7: Is it harmful to use the tablet while it is being charged?

I'm using mine while charging and have no problem so far and been doing it for years.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    ROM
    Arctic HD son! What what!

If I use mine for an extended period plugged in to watch a video or Netflix it reboots

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't believe it's harmful; if it was, tech sites would know about it and no one would be using their device while charging. Where are you getting that it is harmful?
    Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones

why would it be harmful?

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

It isnt harmful to use this tablet while charging, although if you happen to be rooted and are overclocked it might warm up quite a bit so be careful if thats the case. Hope i was able to help out
    Galaxy S3 Quantum Rom based off CM11
    Galaxy S4 MDOB T.W ROM KToonez Kernel
    Nexus 7 2013 Carbon ROM Faux123 OC Kernel
    For app reviews and Rom reviews follow me on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/OnEmOsPhErE86
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

i used it while it was charging. for unknown reason, after i got it back for the 2nd repair, the battery started to decrease really quickly. i chatted with asus tech online, the guy told me that it is better not to use it while it is charging. i also chatted with a google playstore nexus 7 tech, he told me from his personal experience that it seems to decrease the battery power.

A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.