Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
01-16-2014 09:35 AM
4 replies
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Media Server

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Can someone tell me exactly what Google Media server does? It seems to be the biggest consumer of my battery power almost always. Any help appreciated.

Google Media Server-1389882929239.jpg

Default Re: Google Media Server

You must have media sharing enabled in Google play. Auto share photos and videos and pics...do you use G+ a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by westiewanderer View Post
    You must have media sharing enabled in Google play. Auto share photos and videos and pics...do you use G+ a lot?
    I wasn't even aware there was a media sharing option in Google Play. Are you referring to music or movies? I use Google+ on my Nexus 7 2013 and I checked in Battery, Applications, and no sign of Media Sever process at all.

Carrier
    Stock

Do you listen to a lot of music or watch video? I listened to a little music lately on my phone, and the usage for Media Server is about #5 on my list... I don't listen to music on my Tab, and media server doesn't even show up.

I don't know the Android architecture, but I suspect that any process needing to play music or video may direct requests to the media server, which would have a generic interface to the apps, and that would deal with whatever the underlying hardware is for each specific device. This would keep apps from having to code for a variety of hardware.
    roguetrader likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I do use YouTube very frequently, which is of course now connected to G+. I also have photo/video share activated to G+, so I deduce, as a previous poster mentioned here that it must be for these reasons. Anyway, it's no great train smash as the actual power consumption doesn't seem to be that much.

Thanks all for clearing the matter up though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app