Anybody send in their Nexus 7 to Asus for warranty repair?

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm sending in my Nexus 7 (2013) for warranty repair for touchscreen issues. It's sporadic; sometimes it works fine, then other times it touch typing is erratic and drives me crazy. Certain specific apps seem to emphasize the touchscreen problem more, like Pivvot and possibly SwiftKey. I just had a few questions before I sent mine in.

Has anyone sent in their tablet for repair? Did you format your device before sending it in? How long does it take? Did they fix your tablet, or send you a new/refurbished one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anybody send in their Nexus 7 for warranty repair to Asus?

I'm sending in my Nexus 7 (2013) for warranty repair for touchscreen issues. It's sporadic; sometimes it works fine, then other times it touch typing is erratic and drives me crazy. Certain specific apps seem to emphasize the touchscreen problem more, like Pivvot and possibly SwiftKey. I just had a few questions before I sent mine in.

Has anyone sent in their tablet for repair? Did you format your device before sending it in? How long does it take? Did they fix your tablet, or send you a new/refurbished one?

I sent one in a couple months back. I did a factory reset before i sent it in. If you don't i think they'll ask you for a password so they can do it, but i would do it myself just to be safe. Time period was roughly 2-3 weeks for me. My screen had the same touch problems and they supposedly just swapped screens on me. I honestly have no clue if mine was a refurb or not. Going by the paper they sent with me it was just a screen replacement.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I sent one in a couple months back. I did a factory reset before i sent it in. If you don't i think they'll ask you for a password so they can do it, but i would do it myself just to be safe. Time period was roughly 2-3 weeks for me. My screen had the same touch problems and they supposedly just swapped screens on me. I honestly have no clue if mine was a refurb or not. Going by the paper they sent with me it was just a screen replacement.

Thanks for your input Brian. Did the screen swap solve your touchscreen problems?

The touchscreen thing is intermittent, and I don't want them to test it, deem it to be 'fine,' and not do anything and send it back, so I hope they at least swap screens.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

So far so good. The tablet doesn't seem to have any more problems with the touch screen. I've had it back now for at least 2 months and have maybe only noticed 1 or 2 touches that didn't register, but that could have been from my hands being dirty or something.

A word of advice, it might take more than one RMA in order for your touchscreen problem to get fixed. You really need to get lucky with whatever representative is writing the report on your tablet, if its someone who seems annoyed at their job the factory might disregard your problem. I had to send my tablet in twice btw. If you think sending it in more than once is too much of a hassle maybe you could just return it if your still in the return period. If not, than go for it and be possibly prepared to start nagging customer service to no end.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I'm definitely outside my return period, so if I need a few tries to get it fixed, then I'll do it. Hopefully this one time should be good enough.

Thank you for the input. I'll update here on what happens, for future reference for anyone else.

Posted via Android Central App

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I no longer depend on factory workers to solve my issue. I simply but a new one.... and place my problematic device in that box and return it. Total turn around time? SAME DAY.

I refuse to spend good money and then have to beg someone to troubleshoot my issue and take 3 weeks to NOT solve my problem.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I no longer depend on factory workers to solve my issue. I simply but a new one.... and place my problematic device in that box and return it. Total turn around time? SAME DAY.

I refuse to spend good money and then have to beg someone to troubleshoot my issue and take 3 weeks to NOT solve my problem.

Then serial numbers wont match. I would be careful doing that. I agree with you about bsing for 3 weeks after paying for a device being ridiculous though.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

A bit risky no? What if they were to catch you?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

It may be convenient to do that, but it's also fraud.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Is it not fraud to sell a faulty product and then NOT fix the problem when I point it out?

If you don't have the LTE version serial numbers don't matter, it's based on UPC code on box/SKU

I'm not advocating that anyone do anything they are not comfortable, I just believe this is a better fix for me. From what I've seen, Best Buy the takes my returned product, slaps an "open box" sticker on it, abs ours or back on the sales floor for someone else to deal with.

leonard land

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

AS - Are you sure they don't have a way to tell that you're not returning the same item you just bought? And if they do develop a method, I guess they could then charge you with a crime, so you're taking a calculated risk there, I think.

As for returning the N7, no I haven't, tho I've been tempted to because of the typing issues I always have on it, and I once even went so far as to get an RMA number, but I never used it, because I hate to think of having to deal with Asus repair dept. again. Three years ago I returned my laptop to them for warranty repair, and after about ten thousand phone calls and TWO MONTHS they finally repaired my laptop. Actually they said they couldn't fix it and sent me a new one.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I did and they sent me back another unit and that one has more problems so i sent it back. they sent a second one and still not too great so I had to and sell it and just saved to buy an LTE Nexus 7 instead.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Did you send for repair? If not, I would also suggest a factory reset to be safe and keep your information secure. Backup and sync your data before doing so to be safe. Let us know how it works out for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Did you send for repair? If not, I would also suggest a factory reset to be safe and keep your information secure. Backup and sync your data before doing so to be safe. Let us know how it works out for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I did send it in for repair, which they should've received in Texas today. I did format it before sending it in; I just hope that they replace the screen (or actually do something rather than mess with it and send it back). I'll update once I get it back.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

i have sent it for repair 3 times.

it takes them about 3 days to fix it. but they send it via fedex ground, so it usually takes 2 weeks for me to get it back.

and yes, they ask for serial number, i am sure that it is inside of the machine as well. they always put a little sticker on the back of my tablet, so i know that they just keep fixing the same tablet, they didn't give me a new one.

yea. i always reformat it before sending.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

UPDATE!

Alright, it took two weeks but I have my repaired Nexus 7. They had it in their hands for one week, and then it took three days via FedEx (signature needed) to come back to me. So total time from me shipping to them and then it coming back to me is two weeks.

I am happy to report my Nexus 7 now works great. No touch sensitivity issues, no sporadic random touches, no random keypresses when I'm typing things. I've been using it quite a bit and haven't had any problems so far. Before I had it repaired, there was one game I could consistently reproduce the touch problems, and that was Pivvot. I basically couldn't play it because every time I tried, touches would register all over the screen and cause me to fail. I can confidently report now that I have had zero problems playing the game now.

A paper came with the tablet that says a certain part was replaced, but I don't know what it was since it only shows the part number that was replaced. I assume it was the screen, or something that had to do with the screen. Everything is great now and I'm happy how it turned out.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

yes, they may have repaired for one problem, but new problems might occur. i have sent it for repair 3 times.

now i just had a random camera shut down problem. i may have to send it for the 4th repair. i will wait and see.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

yes, they may have repaired for one problem, but new problems might occur. i have sent it for repair 3 times.

now i just had a random camera shut down problem. i may have to send it for the 4th repair. i will wait and see.

The screen thing is the only issue I've ever had, and I've had it since September 2013. If all they did was replace the screen/screen part, which is now fixed, I don't expect any other issues to crop up. I've been playing with it pretty extensively since I got it yesterday and so far, so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20